Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manually logging sleep times

Hello everyone, 

I am new to this site and discussion group.  I am hoping to use my fitbit help me sleeptrack and gain information to help me sleep better.  I just used my fitbit one for the first time last night.  It was my first time ever using any gadget to sleeptrack.  I apologize if my question seems ridiculous, but am a techno-neophyte.

On the dashboard I saw that the fitbit did track my sleep.   I also see:  "You have not logged any sleep."  and am told to "create a new sleep record" to show when I enter and leave my bed.

Is there any advantage or reason to do this?  Does it help the tracker to be more accurate and know when activity begins and sleep ends?

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

What type of device do you have?

I started with the Flex so I would manuallly have to log sleep until the software update allowed automatic detection. I notice that as long as I'm laying in bed still for a certain period of time my Charge HR will count that as "sleep" time, so it shows an extra 15-30 mins (depending on when I actually fall asleep) as sleep time. That may be the reasoning behind the ability to still log sleep manually.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your response, awood.  I have a fitbit-one.

After using the sleep tracker now for a few days, I understand what you mean.  If you don't signal that you are awake in the morning, it might think that even though you are sitting and reading, you are still asleep and log extra time for sleeping.  That's what just happened to me.  So I edited the awake time.  I think the tracker works best it you can tell it when you believe you ready to fall asleep and when you just wake up.

What is working for me is to keep my own manual log and guess about all the awake and sleep times for the night before, then check what fitbit has recorded.  Using both my own memory and fitbit's graph gives me what I believe is the most accurate valuable information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a rather silly question myself regarding manual sleep logging (I JUST got a Fitbit One yesterday, set it up this morning). When logging sleep on the website you select the date and then the time you get in bed and when you get out. The (unreasonably) confusing part for me is this: Which day do you choose? the day you went to bed, or the day you woke up? I logged it as I went to bed on March 1 at 10:45 and got up at 7:03. But then my sleep tile on the dashboard shows that I didn't log sleep for today (March 2). I'm sure I'll get the hang of this eventually, but I don't think I'll be consistent in entering sleep mode on my One for a while (or I'll forget the end sleep mode in the morning). I don't have the app on my cellphone (too much memory requirement) or my home computer (no internet access at home), so I depend on either logging in to the website from my work computer, or using the app on my tablet when I have WiFi connection at work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

At first I let my Fitbit Charge track my sleep but I quickly noticed just how unreliable that was so I began entering it manually. Maybe it's the way that I sleep and the fact that I always wake up at least once to use the bathroom, but entering my sleep manually is the only way I can know for sure how well or how poorly I slept. Otherwise my Fitbit sleep stats would tell me I slept far worse than I actually did.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having problems entering the sleep manually when I go to bed after midnight.  I have to change the date to today's date.  But then I get a message that the time is in the future and I am not allowed to enter my sleep.  Any suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes