Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Racing mind at night

ANSWERED

Anyone have occasional restless nights when you're trying to fall asleep? What tips and tricks do you use to "clear" your mind??

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

I use essential oils as well! It is very calming, yet depending on the amount of stress during the previous day, my mind is still in the thick of thought. After reading the suggestions, I'm going to try the singing in my head.

Best Answer

@Helenck Essential oils? That sounds very interesting! What kind of oils do you use? and how do you apply them? Did they really help get some sleep?

Yesterday, I made my myself a linden tea. I bought the dry linden flowers. I used a little bit more than the recommended quantity of linden flowers per cup of tea and wow, I was almost knocked out. I slept very well, wasn't able to stay awake.

Totally recommended! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I lay very still and say the Lords Prayer and then I put my trust in him. It works everytime

Best Answer
Since I read about singing in my head when I go to bed,it has helped a lot.
I like your suggestion too!
I will give that a try to. Thank you for your comment.
Best Answer

Linden tea, what is linden?

Best Answer

Hello @Helenck! I hope you're doing well! Linden is a plant that gives flowers that can be used to make some tea. These were historically used to soothe nerves and treat health problems associated with anxiety. It helps with these:

• Anxiety Issues
  • Free Radical Neutralization
  • Detoxify the Body
  • Colds and Flu
  • Inflammation

You can find it at most super markets, dried. Check the pictures below!

Linden FlowerLinden Flower

Linden TeaLinden Tea

Hope this helps. See you around! Smiley Very Happy 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

It works for me too. I plug in my earphones and sing to the music. Next thing I know im falling asleep

Best Answer

I like how you use the word "Hush" I'll have to try it. I also have a small fan running all night.

Best Answer

Audio books work well too.

Best Answer

This strategy works with all the previous great tips.

Racing Ming and the sleep anxiety associated are a real problem. Follow other advice about diet, exercise caffeine etc. then:

1. Do your sleepy time activity(reading, deep breathing, journaling) to distract the mind and begin to unwind. Do not do this in bed! Do it,anywhere else.(TV has too many flashing lights, please find something else)

2. When you feel so sleepy that you can't continue, go to bed.

3. Important! If you are not asleep by 10 or 15 minutes, get to out of bed and repeat this process at step 1.

I'm sure many are familiar with the thoughts and feelings of "I need to get to sleep" but cannot. We end up tossing and turning in an attempt to switch to sleep mode. We know this is often not effective. This process can reduce sleep anxiety by disassociating the restlessness from the bed.  The bed becomes associated with sleep again. It gives you an option instead of that helpless feeling.

Best Answer

That is exactly what I do when I'm tossing and turning in the middle of the night. I listen to podcast interviews and it never fails. Reading though usually also helps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I recently read and then tried knitting when I couldn't sleep. It has to be something easy (meaning I don't need to keep count), but that seemed to do the trick. productive and relaxing, who knew. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

I have had success listening to "Sleep with Me " podcast.  It's the pod cast that puts you to sleep. The guy talks about random stuff with purpose of make you bored and putting you to sleep. It sounds odd, but it works for me.   

Best Answer
I have listened to that, too, and it does help.
Best Answer
0 Votes

As people have mentioned, singing is the only thing that I know to try!

I have a song (it's called Look for Signs That Summer's Done) that I learnt as a young child and I know it so well, I don't have to think about the lyrics at all. It's such a comforting song because of how familiar it is, and that's the only thing I can try.

But my mind races a lot when I try to sleep. Generally having a busy, productive day that tired you out is the best way to feel peaceful trying to sleep, if you ask me! Smiley Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes
Try saying a prayer. I know if I say the Lords prayer next thing I know it's morning

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​
Best Answer

@haveLovely suggestion. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have this problem BIG TIME BUT I solved it. I listen to a book I've heard before

@SantiR wrote:

@Emamino88 That happens to me a lot! What usually helps me is singing in my head. I just sing in my head and get to relax and eventually fall asleep.

Another thing I do is reading. I start reading a book and suddenly I am sleeping.

It is worth trying! Smiley Happy

on my Ipod. A nice long story. Sometimes I change the story but I always listen to a book. Then as I am listening, I drop off. If I wake up at night I just listen again. I am an author and if I don't do this I find myself thinking of plot ideas. Then I have to write them down! This has solved the problem completely. 

Best Answer

please read  my profile for tips. thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well I can say having the same problem. I had checked the past nights when the tracker registers my sleep. Of those of you who has the tracker that has the program of relaxing for two minutes has that help anyone? 
Best Answer
0 Votes