Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Racing mind at night

ANSWERED

Anyone have occasional restless nights when you're trying to fall asleep? What tips and tricks do you use to "clear" your mind??

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

I've never tried that before bed, but maybe I will! 

I don't use that program often, but I will try it before bed this week. It does seem to calm me down a bit in the day when I try it 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Something that has helped me lately is doing some exercise at night. After the hot shower my body is just so relaxed and tired I just fall asleep very quickly, and early. I'm waking up feeling great the next morning, its just my muscles that hurts, but you know that kind of pain, right? Healthy pain I call it! Smiley Very Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

Exercise during the day helps tire me out too, but I can't do any before bed or I feel very alive! 

And yes- that kind of pain let's you know you're getting stronger! I love that!

Best Answer

This is me all the time. When I have something to do, I just say, I'll do it in my bed!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

This happens to me about once a week - usually when I am trying to sleep after my first day at work (Monday). 

I generally will start my day with 10 minutes of guided meditation. I have started to incorporate the same practices when I find my mind racing at night by focussing on my breathing and trying to stay present in the moment. Generally, I will count to 10 breaths and start over - repeating for about 10 minutes. 

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

reading is an excellent way to occupy your racing mind, However I read in the the book "Sleep Smarter" that you should stay away from reading on a tablet or e-book unless you have a way to block the blue light that is emitted from those devices. The blue light can stimulate your mind and make it hard to fall  back asleep. The book suggests you use an app that will adjust the blue light or purchase blue light blocking glasses. 

Best Answer

I love The Honest Guys. They have dozens of relaxing videos to choose from, various lengths and topics, although they are meant for listening not watching. You can "go on a journey" by hearing a story, or have a guided meditation or just music sounds. My favorite that always puts me to sleep is the Guided Shamanic Journey with hypnotic drumming. Other choices include, for example, an 18 min nap, 8 hours of sounds to sleep with, positive affirmations, and others aimed at letting go of anxiety, depression, etc.: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheHonestGuys

Best Answer

@Improving Thanks for sharing!

I checked out THG and really enjoyed the Tibetan Healing Sounds audio. Reminds me of the singing bowls my parents have at their house in Sedona. Smiley Happy

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

I feel like it would help to clean and declutter the bedroom and I am thinking of trying some essential oil diffuser, too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I periodically see a Cranial Sacral therapist for chronic muscle tension headaches.  He brought up the importance of breathing out more deeply than breathing in when trying to fall asleep.  I've found doing this and concentrating on my breathing all helps expedite falling asleep.

Best Answer
I wake up every night between 1:30 and 2:30 A.M. and I usually have a hard
time going back to sleep because of my racing mind. I'll try anything
Thank's

--
Best Regards,

*Richard V*
Best Answer
0 Votes

Richard, 

Your racing mind is thoughts you are having subconsciously about things you are worried about. When you wake up, try meditating. You do this by concentrating on your breathing. In...out...in...out.Your mind will wander because this is normal. As soon as you realize your mind has wandered, return your focus to your breathing. Make a mental note of what distracted you and label it. For example...this is anger coming up, or anxiety, or fear. Do not attempt to push it from your mind. Acknowledge it, let it be, then let it go. 

You may be distracted by thoughts about things like " I have to talk to my boss tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I am going to be fired", or "that bad thing that happened to me last week". Do not decide to suffer now for something that is in the future and may never happen. Remember, pain is inevitable, suffering is optional. 

Go back to your breathing. You will get better as you practice. 

Best Answer
Thank you! I'll give it a try.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I do my breathing exercises at night, as I'm trying to sleep. I think it helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find reading fiction helps to clear my mind.  Usually it makes me sleepy quickly, but some nights I get through several chapters.  Either way, it's a win.

Best Answer
0 Votes
That works for me too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S7 edge on the Telstra Mobile Network
Best Answer

I think about a movie or make up a story, replaying in my head.  Same thing, most every night.  Kinda training my brain that, when I think about this, it’s time to sleep.

Once in a while, my brain just will not shut down, or I doze and wake.  That’s when I just get out of bed and go do something.  I’m not going to get sleep, so I’ll read or watch tv.

Best Answer
0 Votes
That sounds like a good idea. I'll try that. Thank's

--
Best Regards,

*Richard Vargas*

*Re/Max Masters*
*909 967-7500 Cell*

*475 E. Badillo St *
*Covina, Ca. 91723 *
DRE # 01051123
Best Answer
0 Votes
I do the same thing with hymns - alphabetically. This usually lulls me to
sleep by the time I get to C or D. I *do* go to my recliner and"read myself
sleepy" first, though.
Best Answer
0 Votes

It’s like reading to small children at bedtime--a regular thing to wind down.  No NEW thoughts or anything, no thinking of “what about this for tomorrow.”  

Best Answer
0 Votes