Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really dissatisfied with sleep stages

I've been a pretty heavy Fitbit addict for a couple years now, but the Sleep Stages update a few weeks back has me to a point where I'm ready to throw it in a bin, and I'm really tired of getting given stock responses by Fitbit. 

Firstly, the data is gives me doesn't really seem to make that much sense. It consistently registers a very low amount of deep sleep on my profile, and very high amounts of light sleep. I also see massive swings in sleep stage data from day to day. (I have a pretty routine lifestyle, low-ish alcohol consumption, go to bed similar times in week/weekend.)

Every time I've asked Fitbit about this and the accuracy of sleep stages, I get diverted to the "what are sleep stages blog". 

Also, the amount of time I am registered as "awake" each night has doubled from 30ish minutes to 1 hour. My monthly sleep average the last month has fallen by about 40 minutes from the last two years, from about 7 hours 15 mins, to 6 hours 30 minutes.  

Fitbit is also registering 10-20 minute long "awake" spells that I have no recollection of being awake for. 

I get that Fitbit isn't a medical grade device, etc. (Also when read about how sleep stages are actually monitored, it's hard to believe the accuracy of something that goes off so little.) But you'd hope at least the data would be accurate against itself.

It's created a bit of a negative feedback loop. I've  been contemplating turning off heart rate monitoring altogether, or trying a new tracker. Would love to hear any similar experiences, and I don't want someone to give me sleep advice, or send me to a sleep stages blog 😉 

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

I know you dont want advice, but if you like the tracker but dont like the sleep stages either don't look at them, or as you suggest, turn off the HR monitor and revert to the old sleep cycles. I actually like them, but Im not getting hung up on each percentage or the number of hours etc. If I feel good and as if I had a good nights sleep that is more important to me than getting the numbers all looking perfect. Hope you work out something that fits for you.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Personally i was surprised that they even could do sleep stages with this thing and thought of it as a bonus,not a deal breaker.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I first got sleep stages I had them every night for the first couple weeks.  Now I only get them a 1 or 2 times a week.  I read all about them, and understand about not getting 3 consecutive hours, but I really don't think I wake up all that often that I would not stay asleep for 3 hours.  I don't know if it's something wrong on my end or something with Fitbit.  It's disappointing, but like someone else said, not a deal breaker. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

For me it is a deal breaker. I noticed my brother wearing the Charge 2 and inquired about it. He told me that feature and since I have had sleeping issues for years thought that it might be helpful with that.

So I bought this pretty much specifically for that feature. The fact that it should work each day (accurate or not) should display. If this is going to be used in advertising as a sales point it should work as advertised.

Simple as that.

Best Answer

I would like to update that I am now getting good sleep stage results just about every night, with just an occasional night that I don't get them for whatever reason, maybe one night out of 45 days or so.  My only concern is that I don't seem to get very much deep sleep, but that is not the fault of the Fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes