Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restless: how bad is it?

I tried my new Fitbit last night to track my sleep and here are the results:

Desktop:

Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 9.05.22 AM.png

Mobile:

Screenshot_2015-05-19-09-08-17.png

As you can see, I have 90% sleep efficiency and slept for over 7 hours. These numbers I expected.

However, there are a bunch of periods when I'm "awake" (according to the desktop version) or "restless" (according to the mobile version).

I remember being awake as shown by the mobile version because I actually got out of bed. I don't remember the other, restless, moments.

My questions are:

1. How bad is it to be restless? "Restless" is a pretty bad word if we're talking about sleep.
  2. Should I be concerned about having so many restless moments?
  3. What exactly are these restless moments?
  4. What does normal, healthy, sleep look like in one of these graphs?
  5. Why does the desktop version label restlessness as awake? 
  6.  Why does the mobile version make the distinction between restless and awake?

Any insight about these items is greatly appreciated!

Best Answer
151 REPLIES 151

I am making a lot of progress. at first my sleep efficiency was about 90% and in very bad nights I reached 83% I was taking melatonin 10 mg allready back than, so before it was even worse.

Now I also take california poppy 1 gram and Valeriaan extract 3 gram  together with the melatonin and at daytime I also take 5 times california poppy and Valeriaan extract (I have a very serious stressdissorder, so if your problems are not that bad as mine don't take that much, try 0,5 gram of california poppy and 1,5 gram of Valeriaan extract before you go to bed and not during the day)

and now my sleepefficiency is mostly around 93-94% !! my heartrate is slowing down and reaches sometimes the 56 at night (before 60 was the lowest but I also had nights the heartrate doesnt go underneath 70 bpm) 

I don't feel as sick anymore and much more energetic. I don't sleep during the day anymore. I was getting bedridden cause of the state I was in and the doctors couldn't do anything for me, they keep telling me this is a psychic thing well it is not.

Since the last 2 weeks I don't sleep during the day anymore and sleep around 8 hours a night, last 2 nights I start sleeping 7 hours during the night and feel okay! 

I hope some people who read this can also be helped with this information

12082015.jpg

Best Answer

@Raviv wrote:

Being active during the day so I'm tired at night

I like to comment on this sentence, cause it is for you a good thing to be active during the day, so you're tired at night. Great, nothing wrong with that, so please don't get me wrong. But keep in mind this is nót the case for everyone. When you have a disorder like I do, being active during the day makes you sleep even worse. So I only want to people to realize this, cause it is so easy to judge people with sleepingdisorders who have to rest all day. That is all I want people to understand.

Cause of the lack of oxygenproduce to my muscles in my body it is bad for me to be very active during the day. Also is my body responding very strongly to stress and being to active gives a lot of stress and makes me sleep even worse. I couldnt accept this myself, but now with my fitbit watch I see this really works that way. When I go to sport I sleep very bad that night, very high heartrate. When I had a busy day I sleep very restless.  this gives a rebound effect to me for the next couple of days!

So for most people this works, you are absolutelay right, but if you see some one for who this doesn't work, please don't be judgemental cause it is allready hard enough to coop with this serious problems 🙂 thanks for understanding guys!

Best Answer

@Martine1975 wrote:

@Raviv wrote:

Being active during the day so I'm tired at night

I like to comment on this sentence, cause it is for you a good thing to be active during the day, so you're tired at night. Great, nothing wrong with that, so please don't get me wrong. But keep in mind this is nót the case for everyone. When you have a disorder like I do, being active during the day makes you sleep even worse. So I only want to people to realize this, cause it is so easy to judge people with sleepingdisorders who have to rest all day. That is all I want people to understand.

Cause of the lack of oxygenproduce to my muscles in my body it is bad for me to be very active during the day. Also is my body responding very strongly to stress and being to active gives a lot of stress and makes me sleep even worse. I couldnt accept this myself, but now with my fitbit watch I see this really works that way. When I go to sport I sleep very bad that night, very high heartrate. When I had a busy day I sleep very restless.  this gives a rebound effect to me for the next couple of days!

So for most people this works, you are absolutelay right, but if you see some one for who this doesn't work, please don't be judgemental cause it is allready hard enough to coop with this serious problems 🙂 thanks for understanding guys!

Most advice given is for the average person, so no worries if that doesn't work for you.

For the majority of people, being active during the day, then slowing down a bit before bedtime, will cause them to be both physically worn out and mentally relaxed, which is a good combination.

No judgment for those people that don't find it works well for them.  Smiley Happy

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

When you're in a deep sleep your body doesn't move. When you are dreaming you're not in a deep sleep. We generally dream when we go to sleep and before waking up.

Best Answer

Check out my sleep log from last night, I definitely didn't get into any deep sleep cycle. Robot Embarassed

Screenshot_2015-09-05-16-35-11.png

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am wondering, Were you able to figure out how to sleep better ?

Did you do this on your own or with the help of a doctor ?

I myself don't think a doctor can contribute much to make anyone sleep better.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Deen - other than 2 to 3 bottles of wine, nothing seems to work!

Best Answer

Two bottles is too much Ray. We all know what contributes to healthy sleep.

enough excercise, healthy food, go to sleep at the same time etc.

Avoid pills, alcohol, too much (junk) food, too much stress, bad thoughts.

The problem is following these easy given advices is not so easy at all. Smiley Sad

Having good people around you, stimulating and supporting you is more important than a far away doctor. 

Best Answer
I was being very flippant but thanks for the excellent advice

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Is this seriously accurate?! I only sleep this little. Does being "restless" really mean I am not getting the sleep I should?!

sleepless!!.png

Best Answer

@Megan459 wrote:

Is this seriously accurate?! I only sleep this little. Does being "restless" really mean I am not getting the sleep I should?! 

Do you feel tired generally?

Did you set yout tracker to Sensitive?  It's under Settings > Devices if you want to check.

Do you have animals that sleep with you?

But yeah, the reality is that you might be getting really bad quality sleep.

FitBit One
Best Answer

@Megan459 I recommend confirming if your sleep setting is set to "normal" or "sensitive" and adjusting it and sleeping with it set to the new setting. To adjust this setting, follow the instructions here.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
Me too. I want to know about this restless and wakes my goes over 30.
Best Answer

Generalized Anxiety Disorder Overview
Everyone feels anxious sometimes, but generalized anxiety disorder is a condition in which a person has nearly constant anxiety. People with generalized anxiety disorder often feel anxious for no apparent reason. They also may feel tired, restless, irritable, short of breath, have difficulty concentrating or sleeping, or have a racing heartbeat. Doctors aren't sure what causes generalized anxiety disorder, but it can run in families. Stressful life situations also may cause the disorder. It can start anytime in life, even in childhood. Medications and psychotherapy, along with lifestyle changes, can help.
Go to the Generalized Anxiety Disorder Topic Overview
What to Expect
In many cases, generalized anxiety disorder begins early in life, though it can start at any age. It usually develops more slowly than other types of anxiety disorders. It can make you feel completely consumed by worry or anxious for no reason. It often can occur with substance abuse and other types of mental illness such as depression. Generalized anxiety disorder usually is treated with a combination of medications and cognitive-behavioral therapy.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder: The Basics
How Common
About 6 million adults in the U.S. have generalized anxiety disorder.
Risk Factors
You may be at higher risk for generalized anxiety disorder if you:
Are female
Were abused or saw a traumatic event as a child
Have a family history of generalized anxiety disorder
Use drugs or alcohol
Have a chronic illness
Have a lot of stress in your life
Treatment
Treatment for generalized anxiety disorder usually includes:
Cognitive-behavioral therapy
Medications, including antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications
Support groups
What is Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy?
Self Care
You may be able to ease the symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder by:
Learning relaxation techniques
Getting exercise every day
Eating a healthy diet
Getting enough sleep
Avoiding alcohol, caffeine, and illegal drugs
Use Positive Thinking to Combat Anxiety
When to See Your Doctor
See your doctor if you think your anxiety is interfering with your relationships or daily life. Seek emergency care right away if you are having any thoughts of suicide.
Questions to Ask Your Doctor
Could my symptoms be caused by generalized anxiety disorder or another condition?
Do I need to take medication to reduce my anxiety? What side effects can I expect?
Is there anything else I can do to help ease my symptoms?
Can you recommend a therapist?
Can you recommend a support group or chat room I could join?
Diagnosed By
To diagnose generalized anxiety disorder, your doctor will take a medical history and do a physical exam. Your doctor also may order tests to rule out other medical conditions.
Learn About Diagnosing and Treatment for Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Made Worse By
Stress, caffeine, alcohol

Here some information I got I hope will help you and others. My advice do a check up with your doctor. I know Dr. Google is easy, a real Doctor is better.😴

Moderator edit: Clarified information. 

Best Answer

It is set to sensitive mode. Is that the one it should be on, right?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I feel tired about the same as any normal person I would say. I wake up and it is extremely hard to get up (but isn't that all of us?!) and do okay throughout the day with a few cups of coffee...My setting is on "sensitive" mode and I do not sleep with animals. I was prescribed a sleeping pill- trazodone and it seems when I take that I get between 5 and 6 hours of sleep. When I don't take it, I get 3-4 hours so I guess it helps somewhat.

Best Answer

@Megan459 wrote:

I feel tired about the same as any normal person I would say. I wake up and it is extremely hard to get up (but isn't that all of us?!) and do okay throughout the day with a few cups of coffee...My setting is on "sensitive" mode and I do not sleep with animals. I was prescribed a sleeping pill- trazodone and it seems when I take that I get between 5 and 6 hours of sleep. When I don't take it, I get 3-4 hours so I guess it helps somewhat.

Try setting it to normal instead of sensitive.  It might be a combination of both - getting crummy sleep, but maybe a little better than it's registering because your Fitbit is too sensitive at that setting.

FitBit One
Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you have a co-sleeper?  And if yes, what have they said about your sleeping?

My wife finally said something to me about my violent leg shakes at night (never woke me up), went to the doc, and got some RLS drugs to combat that.

My sleep efficiency is pretty regular at 92%+ now except for the nights when I do some really strenous exercise in the evening and it can drop as low as 87%.

Best Answer
This thread is very helpful. I have been wondering what is a "normal" amount of restlessness. Talked to my doc yesterday and he says our bodies are in a sort of paralysis during REM sleep, so if we are restless there are reasons to be concerned. I'm consistently around twenty times restless per night. I'd been told by my orthodontist back in the day, I've got a smaller mouth and bigger tongue. Cut to doc saying to stick out my tongue and lo and behold it's scalloped. It's not as disgusting as it sounds. The sides are scalloped from teeth indentations, tongue too large for smallish mouth(friends would disagree). So wonder of wonders due to anatomy, I may be experiencing sleep apnea and thus becoming restless. One in four have apnea. One in four! So I gorgeous nighttime mouth appliance is likely in my future. 😊
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I feel your pain on the sleep really I do. I spent years not sleeping. I used ambien CR at the highest dose. Just to get sleep and some nights I still did not sleep. They also have me on Trasadone 100 mg to sleep. Since starting Juice Plus capsules I now am off the ambien cr and I am sleeping better at night and have more energy during the day. I feel better and I am more healthy Life is better now. Check out their website and look at the research behine this product done by credit University's all over the world. Whole food nutrition, no pesticides, no herbicides no GMO. NSF certified, organic. Better then any vitimin out there.

Moderator edit: removed advertising

Best Answer