Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restless: how bad is it?

I tried my new Fitbit last night to track my sleep and here are the results:

Desktop:

Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 9.05.22 AM.png

Mobile:

Screenshot_2015-05-19-09-08-17.png

As you can see, I have 90% sleep efficiency and slept for over 7 hours. These numbers I expected.

However, there are a bunch of periods when I'm "awake" (according to the desktop version) or "restless" (according to the mobile version).

I remember being awake as shown by the mobile version because I actually got out of bed. I don't remember the other, restless, moments.

My questions are:

1. How bad is it to be restless? "Restless" is a pretty bad word if we're talking about sleep.
  2. Should I be concerned about having so many restless moments?
  3. What exactly are these restless moments?
  4. What does normal, healthy, sleep look like in one of these graphs?
  5. Why does the desktop version label restlessness as awake? 
  6.  Why does the mobile version make the distinction between restless and awake?

Any insight about these items is greatly appreciated!

Best Answer
151 REPLIES 151

Great suggestion. I would so love a goodnight's sleep and I know that your right that it could only help with weight loss   Thanks for sharing and have a great (and healthy) Christmas.  - Ray

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea back in late 2007 and started in with a CPAP shortly thereafter.  Simple truth, the CPAP saved my life.

Now nine years later and 65 pounds lighter I still sleep with the CPAP even though I suspect I could get away without it.  Why?  I love to sleep in a freezing cold room and burrow under layers of blankets and such; with the CPAP I can still breathe fresh air while under all of those layers.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ErickFitbit, the pleasure is mine.  Our Stories are the things that give our collective community viability & relavancy.  I have been able to take so many things from the stories of others in how to sleep better, & how to maintain a better lifestyle.  Its for them that all of us share our testimonies... because we were all once the "uneducated masses".  Cheers Sir, thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do you get an hourly chart?    I've tried over and over with my Alta, and there seems no way to see hourly markings!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree.   I wonder how you got those incremental stats?    I can't seem to find a way to see an hourly graph....only a generalized one with no hourly markings.

Best Answer
0 Votes

the

To get hourly on heart beats, you have to be in the App.

On your dashboard, tap the heartbeat (bpm) icon.

On the Heart Rate screen, you should see today's beats per minute.

Scroll down and you will see each day listed.

Tap on the day you're interested in and you should see your hourly bpm listed.

I have a Fitbit Charge 2.

I hope these steps work for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Ray.....but sadly...no.    The Alta does not monitor heart rate.   😞  Pretty lame...it's such a basic function.     I thought I was on an Alta exclusive thread, since that a was how I searched my question.   Odd.  Not your fault of course.

Best Answer

Bramari - sorry to hear that. I guess that you'll have to write to Santa to bring you a Charge for Christmas!

Keep steppin'!

All the best for 2017

Ray

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got the Alta for Yule.    😕

Best Answer
0 Votes

We returned the Alta and got the Charge.    So much better as far as options, but bigger and clunkier.  Still I prefer these features and plan to keep it.    🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I know it's been a while since you posted your results. I have the same results. Have you found a cause for the restlessness and/or any solutions?  Thanks ...

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hey well I've found that bus schedules influence the restlessness frequency but no, not anything concrete

Cheers,
Rick
Best Answer

I'm very interested in this having tracked my sleep for a week now (during the festive season) and haven't managed to get more than about 5 hours sleep despite about 9 hours in bed. One thing not mentioned here is the effect of alcohol, I did dry October and felt I slept so much better. Will see now we're in Jan and the festivities are over 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I cannot get a sleep pattern.....it says to sync.....but I thought this would happen automatically...I really do not see any instructions on how to sync.  Some days I press side button for 10 secs. and it syncs, others it does not.  I have the HR.....Sure wish they had made this screen bigger.  Not thrilled with product.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The app on the smart phone or computer controls your sync

Cheers,
Rick
Best Answer
0 Votes

But how......it goes all day and does not sync.....do I have to just sit and wait, or is there an actual way I can do it so I can read my sleep pattern in the a.m.   Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please check if you turn on the sync button under your account setting

Best Answer
0 Votes

Closing down the App and then opening it again usually works for me when sync is not playing nicely. - Ray

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've looked into that in the pass and it looked like I would have to do a take home test first along the lines of 5k, then a lab test around 10k.  Does that sound about right?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is your sleep sensitivity set to normal or sensitive? Looks like normal. Try sensitive... if it's not set to that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes