Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which sleep sensitivity is recommended?

ANSWERED

Which sleep sensitivity setting is recommended? Normal or sensitive?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
160 REPLIES 160

I am a brand new Fitbit user & while I did buy it for the steps/ activity tracker, I am also intrigued by the sleep tracker. I will try for the first time tonight. I've had sleep issues for years, most likely from anxiety. I did try a sleep study, but I couldn't fall asleep so that got me nowhere. I tried a device that I took home to see if I have apnea, unfortunately that's ALL it showed, whether I had apnea or not. It said I don't, but I could have some other sleep issue that could only be diagnosed by an in lab sleep study. Not happening. 

I've taken Ambien in the past, right now I'm on a low dose of Lexapro + a Lorazepam each night. I no longer have trouble falling asleep, & I do wake once or twice to pee ---- but I am still tired. I think it's because I dream wayyyyy too much, I think more than the average person. I remember my dreams, I can tell you all about my dreams, & I don't remember the last time I slept without having any dreams. Dumbledore gave Harry a potion so he could have a dreamless sleep, sure wish I could have some!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I hope your sleep has improved since you posted this last April. If not, I wanted to suggest a few natural remedies for you to try. Valerian root can be very effective for sleep, as can taking evening doses of magnesium powder. Also, you may not be producing enough melatonin. Trying 3-5mg of prolonged release melatonin might help. Since the majority of melatonin is produced in the gut rather than the pineal gland, sleep disruptions can point to an imbalance in gut flora or possible gut irritants like bacteria/yeast overgrowth. Another possibility is hyper permeability of the lining of the small intestine. Finding a good functional medicine practitioner or naturopathic physician could really help you. Sweet dreams!
Best Answer

I personally find the sensitive setting more accurate based on the results of a recent sleep study.  During the sleep study they told me I only get 6% REM sleep (normal is 60%).  On the normal setting it said I was in bed for 8 hours and got 6.5 hours sleep.  There was no way.  I toss and turn all night watching the hours pass on the clock.  On the sensitive setting it says I adverage anywhere between 2.5-4 hours sleep which seems much more accurate. 

Best Answer

@ Fit_4_Life

TRT = Total Recording Time

TST = Total Sleep Time

316/403=78% efficiency

Best Answer

@damurray wrote:

I would go with Normal at first.  If you feel the result are not accurate you adjust the setting accordingly.  Also pay attention to the Dominant vs. Non-dominant hand setting it does make a difference.

I am never quite sure what is meant by hand dominate. Althought I eat and write with my left hand I do everything else right handed. All of my strength is in my right hand. I am left- eyed dominate  so I assume I am left hand dominate.  It sounds dumb at my age not to be sure of this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

ha! so I am not alone....I also take ambien...although the only time I am "comatose" is on 10mg. I am on a 5mg but I do ok on 2.5mg also...for me, I can "sleep" but I don't ever get into a "deep sleep" unless its that time of the month, or if I have been drinking. I am ADD and I have sensory issues so I think its neurological and the brain has a hard time "shutting" off....I have to work my body VERY hard to sleep deep. I also tension/anxiety issues, again neurological, so my muscles are always tight. Muscle relaxants do help me. I think you and I probably have the same issues. I use melatonin but it only helps with "falling" asleep. Not going into a deep sleep or a relaxed one. Nyquil helps too ;).....

Best Answer

Many drugs have to oppisite effect on me. NyQuil, benadryl, dramine and muscle relaxers hype me up. Ambien messes with my head. It hypes me up and makes me want to commit homicide/suicide.. Scared the crap out of me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MommyMagic  I also never get to the deep sleep stage .... the stage that is actually RESTFUL. Even on the sensitive setting, my Fitbit says I get 5-6 hours sleep a night. I feel more like I'm getting 3-4. I just joined a gym 2 weeks ago & have been working out 4-5 days a week ... everyone tells me exercise will help. We shall see.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok, I shouldn't say NEVER get deep sleep. I'm sure I get about 5 minutes. Ha!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am so happy I found this board, and know that I am not alone.

I love to sleep, and could never figure out why I was so tired during the day. I would be in bed for 8-9 hours a night, and I thought I was getting sleep. But this is just showing how restless I am at night. I am averaging 3.5-4 hours every night.

I am not sure what to do, as I don't want to take any med's for sleeping. Wish I could get at least 6 a night. That would be fantastic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would go with normal as well.  When I set it to sensitive it said I was only getting around 1.5 - 2 hours of sleep per night.  When I have it on normal it says I get about 6 - 7 hours.

@Vanille wrote:
Which sleep sensitivity setting is recommended? Normal or sensitive?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AaI wrote:

I am so happy I found this board, and know that I am not alone.

I love to sleep, and could never figure out why I was so tired during the day. I would be in bed for 8-9 hours a night, and I thought I was getting sleep. But this is just showing how restless I am at night. I am averaging 3.5-4 hours every night.

I am not sure what to do, as I don't want to take any med's for sleeping. Wish I could get at least 6 a night. That would be fantastic.

I also would be in bed for around 9  hours on the weekends, & my husband would give me flack "nice of you to finally get up". But I was still tired. My Fitbit shows I get around 5 hours of sleep. I showed him that as proof that I am NOT getting 9 hours of sleep! The night I took Ambien, I actually woke up more ... proof that while meds will help you fall asleep, they won't help you stay alseep.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Valarien is what valium was based on. I find the capsules give me terrible reflux and dirty sock taste. Sleepy time tea by celestial teas is quite nice.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried Valerian at the suggestion of a friend ... OMG it was horrible! I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth! And ...it didn't do anything for me. I would have dealt with the taste if it had helped. I hate tea 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

Which hand should you put it on? I sleep mostly on my right side. I wear the Fitbit on my left wrist. Also I switched to sensitive because under normal my efficiency was always in the 90's and that certainly wasn't accurate. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have the same issues. Sometimes my brain won't stop and enad up thinking about anything ane everything. Lunesta 3 mil has helped with this, but....I never know when I might wake up and starting thinking like crazy. This is especially troublesome since I wake up like clockwork 4 hours after I go to sleep. The Charge HR has really helped me keep track of these trends. I still not sure whether the more sensitive setting is "over reporting". I have gone thru all the drugs like most of you. xanax seems to work best I think I will look into the extended relaease. Didn' know it existed. Thanks to all of you! It helps to know there are others like me.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I wear my fitbit one clipped to my night shirt. It is more comfortable than on a wrist. I keep it on sensitive and feel it is pretty accurate. My big helps have been mindfulness, cbt, exercise, CPAP and magnesium citrate and curcumin or Boswelia. The magnesium and curcumin and boswelia have been the biggest aha. When I forget them, I am wakeful even with all the other components in place. I have been through all the drugs and this is the best. I figured out I was magnesium deficient based on symptoms.
Marianne
Best Answer

Hello all.

I have sleeping issues, as well, over 30+ years. I don't think there is just one answer or one pathway for R&D, but collectively, your comments and these may help at least one person to improve upon their sleep quantity and quality.

I am ADD, have had sleep apnea 20 years (lost 80 lbs and only use my CPAP infrequently now, but occasionally a Breathe Right), had 3 complete sleep studies, recently diagnosed with A-Fib, and still recovering from my last motorcycle accident. Have a lot of family stress: one daughter with an immune disorder and another daughter that is bi-polar and addicted to alcohol and benzodiazepines. I only say this to give the briefest outline of where I'm coming from in regards to the process of my sleep plan. Also, there are a many good things in my life, so I have to be very proactive in finding and implementing the best and longest sleep periods for myself, so I can appear functionally normal, and not an a-hole…at least most of the time. (my wife told me to put that in)

I started with a Fitbit One, then a Force. Liked the Force a lot more because it was essentially a wrist watch, and I didn't have to use the One sleep band every night. I have used these for about 3 years overall, and had been trying to get my wife involved, so got her a Charge last Christmas. My Force bit the dust, so I got me a Charge, too, then I got an offer to get one of the first Surges in late December. (have also used Premium service since inception) Each Fitbit has their own characteristics and subtle differences, but the ones I've had and used are pretty consistent to one another. I originally got the Fitbit to help me be more aware of my habits as to activities and sleep, to which they have been a competent and invaluable tool. (Sleep report history over time is an issue, but that's in another group)

The following is a little of what I learned that works for me, but be aware, I am still hovering around only 5-6 hours of sleep per night. And I'm like everyone else. I do these things 85% of the time and I always have a good excuse. I have previously been through 10 year stretches where I averaged less than 4 hours per night.

I have set my Fitbit on sensitive, and wear it on my non-dominant hand. I am ADD, and have taken Adderall for 8 years, but never after 6PM. No caffeine after around 4PM. I only drink hot black tea (Liptons) because it has a more moderate stimulant curve than coffee, and my wife is British. I try and eat all my meals within a 12 hour period, and have found my digestion, etc., improved. Try not to eat after 8PM, nor eat an hour or two before bedtime OR before meds...sometimes that's tough. I drink lots of water mixed with Sprite Zero. Take 10mg of Ambien about 30 minutes before I think I can sleep.

I have "Blue Light" filter apps on all of my computers, tablets, and cell phones. This has made a difference. On most devices you will still have to remember to "tap" it on, but the results make it easier to do every night. Watching television can also stimulate your pineal gland to suppress your normal dose of melatonin in your brain. The older you get, the less melatonin you have, and sometimes taking a melatonin supplement works, and sometimes it doesn't. My wife has SADD, and melatonin supplements don't work.

For those taking sleep meds (benzodiazepines: Xanax, valium, etc)., know there is a big difference in the half life of your pill dose. Ambien's half life is about 1 1/2 hours. It is just to get you to fall asleep, and the ER is to keep you there, but may cause some problems if you happen to get up in the night. Valium has an extraordinarily long half life of 100+ hours. It was used initially as a muscle relaxer (still is), but has been used more as a tranquilizer and anxiety aid. Ambien is a hypnotic, and not a muscle relaxer. Xanax is a benzo, but its half life is more than Ambien. I have found that some benzos like Valium, can get you to sleep, but once asleep you can't get to the level of deep sleep, which is the level below REM (Delta). That's not only aggravating, but can add to your sleep problems and tiredness. Never used Xanax for sleep, but I imagine it might be in the middle between Ambien and Valium. Again, these drugs work differently for everybody, but I suspect that deep sleep might not be obtainable using benzos. Overusing benzos and hypnotics can also trigger long term sleep problems by damaging certain receptors in your brain. Ambien is a designer drug, and it targets one receptor, and if damaged, can wreak havoc in your life for years.

I try and read before sleep, rather than TV. I don't exercise a couple hours before I read/bed. Good sleep "hygiene": you sleep in your bed, you read in your chair. I read and sleep (sometimes) in my chair, but that's more to do with the motorcycle accidents. In my bed, I have restricted my space--put pillows next to me (no, we sleep in separate beds) to keep me in basically a confined, yet comfortable rectangle. I have found that this has helped in confining my movements when I am asleep to my rectangle space, and not the entire king size bed. Also, the Fitbit sensor that detects "restless" is only an algorithm based on subtle movements, and does not necessarily mean that you haven't achieved "deep" sleep. In my case, it's relative to me confining myself to my sleep space AND how rested I feel the following day. The Fitbit is fairly accurate, but it is not a sleep study, but a tool.

I don't drink alcohol, either. Used to--a lot-- but found it was easier to lose weight and feel better without it. Also, the combination of any alcohol in meds will change the quality of your sleep to your detriment. Every time. Leads to GERD. Leads to additional sleep problems, which lead to additional daytime problems, etc., etc.

Stress affects your sleep, and your long term health. There is good stress (you've won a million dollars, you’ve won the Nobel Prize), and bad stress (lost your job, mental illness in the family). Both the good and the bad stress have the same effects. So there has to be some kind of balancing apparatus besides drugs and even exercise, to help your mind and body deal with what's going on for real, and for what you imagine the reality might be. Yoga, deep breathing, mindfulness, self-hypnosis, meditation, deep relaxation technique, biofeedback devices...find something that you can do and repeat several times a day, and then before sleep. I have tried all, but find myself using the same self-hypnosis/deep relaxation that I have done daily since 1987. This is not to take the place of present meds, but to add to your resources for building a better and healthier sleep. It only works if you do it every day like a habit, even if you think it's not doing anything. Sadly, the better you feel, the lazier you get. Must be a natural law, or something.

So, the Fitbit is a really good tool in accounting for how much sleep we achieve, and a little about how we sleep and its quality. Someone commented that they use a camera to observe how they sleep at night. I might have to take one of my surveillance cameras and point it at my little bed rectangle. At least I should find out what my cat does.

I think that good sleep is something that I can be better at, but it will be different for you. I know that there are many variables involved in the positive sequence which culminates in a good sleep result, some of which we do have direct control over. So, I sincerely hope this might help someone, and look forward to gleaning some tips from you, as well.

P.S. When I used the Fitbit One, I finally found attaching it to my watch at night was more convenient than using their "sleeve".

Best Answer

To get into the science and biochemistry behind why your probably not staying asleep is a long story. But ambien and xanax both work by affecting the GABA receptor. By affecting this recepetor it helps you fall asleep not neccesarily stay asleep. However there are a lot of things that can occur in the middle of the night that can wake you up. The biggest thing that will affect your sleep in the middle of the night will be your stress hormone cortisol which is excreted from your adrenal glands. Normally your cortisol should be high in the morning when you wake up and slowly decrease throughout the day until it's time to sleep again. You should see if your doctor can do cortisol / salivary hormone testing. I kind of just rambled a little bit but i thought your case was interesting and should point out some other things that get overlooked.

Best Answer

I have the same problem. I can go to sleep easily enough but wake up about every hour or two. My sleep percentage ranges about 70-75% most of the time. I have tried over the counter but nothing works. Dont really want to use prescription. 

Best Answer
0 Votes