Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which sleep sensitivity is recommended?

ANSWERED

Which sleep sensitivity setting is recommended? Normal or sensitive?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
160 REPLIES 160

Thank you very much!!  Because of this board, I changed my sensitivity from Normal to Sensitive and I am getting a very different reading of what is going on at night.  Thanks for the recommendation!!  Love Fitbit.

Best Answer

Consider seeing a doctor about your hormone levels.  I was too low on progesterone and waking several times per night also brain fog.  After starting with 100mg of progesterone at night before bed, all the waking up stopped and the brain fog disappeared.

Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, I am 69 years old , do you think the dr. Would give me progesterone?

Blessings galore,
Sharin
Sharin714@gmail.com

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Where can I find info on interpreting my sleep info on Dashboard? E.G.: I have sleep apnea and record indicates I was awake 24 times during the night, yet the efficiency score was 94%.  TIA.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have no idea how the sensitive setting works, It tells me I am moving all night long. I think it measures breathing. I keep mine on normal. I think it is more accurate.

Best Answer

It is. On normal if I'm in the high 80's or low 90's that's a bad nights sleep. On sensitive the same applies except it's in the 70/80's.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having similar sleeping disorders as yours (no problem falling asleep, but rolling around and awake a lot during the night!)

I have switched my charge HR to ''sensitive'' but it was like having the confirmation of my tough nights was depressing me!!!! I was in a bad mood for hours in the morning and didn't like being that way, so I switched back to normal settings!

I know I don't sleep very well,but the average 5h30 hours my Charge tells me I slept kind of comfort me (vs the 2h30 to 3h with the sensitive settings!)... No more morning bad mood!

You mentioned not being tired during the day, maybe you too should ignore all the gadgets 🙂

Best Answer

Please be careful with ambien.  It can be highly addictive.  The longer you take it the less it works and the more antsy you can become.  I only know because a family member has had first experience from this.  Have you considered a sleep study with sensors attached to your legs?  Restless sleep syndrome is something that really causes severe difficulties in getting a good night's sleep.  Good luck finding an answer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you tried staying away from any stimulants (anything w/caffiene - coffee or soda) as well as any of those "energy drinks" for a solid 1-1.5wks.  If you're getting 30m of cardio at about 70-85% of your target heart rate (quick calc for max heart rate: 220-age = result, then to determine target heart rate: result*0.85 = target heart rate).  my wife used to have a hard time getting a restful sleep... once she was off caffiene for a good week and she was also getting ~30+min of cardio @ 85% target hr, she was able to get solid rest.  now she drinks decaf, but enjoys a reg coffee maybe once a week for the stimulation.

I've also done this for myself and have been happy w/my sleep. altho, i do sometimes miss the kick in the morning that coffee can bring.  however, i value much more the rest when i'm asleep at nite more!

good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

you sound like a perfect candidate for polyphasic sleep!  you should definitely look into it... might get a huge advantage over us monophasic sleepers!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had heard from a reputable medical website that tucked this info into an answer on one of its quizzes that Ambien does not actually promote sleep.   It only makes you forget the times you awakened during the night.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have noticed that my sleep patterns are way better on days that i drink good amounts of water.

melotonin is mainly responsible of sleeping and good sleep cycles, i would recommend you read about it and how can you make your body generate it as it used to while you were younger.

sleep tight 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

my device is counting my steps in my sleep, is this because I am wearing my device on my non dominat wrist as suppose to my dominat wrist or do I need to change my sleep sensitivity from normal made.

Best Answer

Hi There.

I have mine set to sensitive, and it's fairly accurate for me. I toss and turn all night, and I suffer from partial insomnia. When it hits me bad I sleep worse but I deal with it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

flguy, consider that you may have sleep apnea, even if you don't snore. I was getting more and more tired each week, even though I thought I was getting 6 -6.5 hrs of sleep per nite. I got hooked up with a sleep center that gave me a home monitoring kit. It showed that I stopped breathing for 10-15 seconds up to 4 times an hour and had extremely shallow breathing events about  10 times per hour that lowered my blood oxygen levels to 70% (97%-99% is normal). That is enough to keep you from going into the deep REM sleep you need to rejuvinate your body. The restlessness could also be not just from waking up to the edge of consciousness due to sleep apnea but also from chronic low-level aches and pains you may have in your back that keep you from getting a restful sleep. Consider a chiropractor or get one of those sleep number beds where you can adjust the softness/hardness of the bed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all,  Since using the fitbit hr I see that I'm only getting 5 to 6 hours sleep per night.  My goal is at least 7 hours.  No matter what time I go to sleep I seem to start waking up around 4:30 or 5:30 a.m.  So, I'm trying to go to sleep earlier.. it's not that easy to start to go to sleep at 9 or 10pm but that is my plan.  So far, I've been able to actually fall asleep 1x a little after 9pm.. since trying this method.. that night I actually got 7.45 hrs sleep!  Wondering how others deal with trying to get more sleep.  thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

rballan,

REM stage is not were you get the rejuvination from. Just ask anyone with Narcolepsy! A normal person sleeps for 90 minutes during the first two stages and then goes into REM. That 90 minutes is were you get rested. And then repeat this pattern all night. A Nacoleptic will go into REM in less than 10 minutes of falling asleep.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ya... I've been trying to get to sleep by 830/9ish, and have been able to do it a few times over the last month that i've been set on getting to bed earlier.  I can get to sleep IF i avoid caffeine completely for the day.  Cutting it out completely from my diet is prolly a good idea, but i miss my coffee buzzes when i go on a few days w/o it! haha

while 7hrs is my ideal target sleep, I have become more pragmatic and gauage my sleep needs based on how well I function and can focus during the day over the period of the work week.  while 7 is the general target time, i'm finding that 5.5-6.5 works well for me.

fitbit's great at letting me know what i'm actually sleeping, but my decision on how much sleep goes more by how i feel on average thru the week.  I do try to sleep longer than 5-6, but if i wake up refreshed w/ 5, i go with it and document my energy for the day... plus if i'm feeling an overwhelming urge to nap, i'll either pull one if i can or just make sure to increase my sleep.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The sensitive setting will cause your tracker to record nearly all movements as time spent awake. This setting may be helpful for users with sleep disorders, or those who wear their tracker somewhere other than the wrist while asleep.

Best Answer
Definitely do a sleep study. Will tell you exactly what's going on with a dozen or so sensors that even measure brainwaves
Best Answer
0 Votes