Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So now that I know, what do I *DO* about it?

My husband and I both recently got the fitbit flex, mostly for the same reasons. We're needing to improve our stamina and fitness (me more than him--I'm disabled and almost totally sedentary). I was thrilled to find that it monitored sleep as well. That's actually what caused Allan to get his. He would be snoring for two hours and then wake up to tell me that he just can't fall asleep. Since getting the fitbit, he's found that he DOES sleep 7-8 hours/night with >85% sleep efficiency. He's of an age where he gets up a couple of times in the night to use the bathroom so that's the major 'kink' in his sleep patterns.

I, on the other hand, average between 4-5 hours/sleep despite generally being in bed more hours than he is. I have a history of PTSD and have never slept as well at night as I do in the daytime which is why I spent about half of my working career working the night shift. However, that didn't fly after marrying my husband. Now, despite meds, it frequently takes 1-2 hours to fall asleep and I'm waking 17-30 times/night. The one good thing about this is that I can now take empirical data in the form of the fitbit reports to my docs but I'm incredibly frustrated by this. The meds they have me on should put a rhinoceros to sleep for a week. If I don't take them, I will go days without sleeping. Anyone got any suggestions? I'm hoping that the weather gets better soon so I'm not in so much pain. We just joined a gym and I'd like to give the "Active Older Adults" yoga and cardio classes a shot. Both of them can be adapted to the level of the individual--there are quite a few people who do the whole class sitting in the chair and working from there while there are others who don't sit at all. I'm trying not to nap in the daytime but that's really hard because that's when I get my best quality sleep. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Hi only 1 Jethro,

Melatonin is made in the  complete dark so wearing a sleep mask to block out light is important. Melatonin production tends to wan as we age. Also, if you has too much on the brain that prevents sleep then write out your concerns and what steps you will take to improve your situation. Then it is down and you can remind you mind that you won't forget.

Exercising but not right before sleep tends to makes us tired at night. 

When you find a form of exercise that you can do then do it like clockwork.

Losing weight often is necessary for health and good sleep. 

Don't eat within 2 hours of bedtime.

If you are overweight ask for a sleep study to see if you have sleep apnea. That needs attention immediately and the use of a c pap machine.

Maybe you need earplugs if your hubbie snores! 

Eat only super healthy food. Piles of veggies raw & lightly steamed, some beans & lentil, salads, and only lean protein like fish or poultry. 

Avoid white flour, rice, sugar, pasteries, fast food, junk foods, etc.

You can do this. Make the changes for a healthier life.

Set reseasonable goals and do the work to get there.

We support you.

Barbara G

Best Answer
0 Votes

This article on blue light may help:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side

Avoid computer use or watching TV within a couple of hours of sleeping, and

avoid keeping a light on (except low level red light) where you are sleeping.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The National Sleep Foundation has many tips on how to improve your sleep.  Their website is sleepfoundation.org

Best Answer
0 Votes

http://sleepfoundation.org

Sorry i am new to this, link didn't work the first time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I looked at it more like a security issue.  I have been a light twitchy sleeper for years and always got by on 2-4.  It all came to a head about 5 years ago and decided I had to address it.  We got a dog, I trained her to sleep on a dog bed that is between the front and back door.  If she's sleeping I'm sleeping.  I get 6-7 hrs a night regularly.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Nik

Best Answer
0 Votes