Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stages change if you edit sleep time...

I have the charge 2 hr, which has the sleep stage pattern. I think this feature is really nice but I question it's accuracy.

Often times my fitbit will register that I was in a "light sleep" stage when I am relaxing before bed (reading, watching TV, etc...). I am sure this has happened to everyone at some point, it happened with the old sleep tracking as well.

When this occurs, in the morning when I check my sleep graph, I will often edit my sleep start time to reflect the (around) the actual time I went to sleep. Often times when I do this, my sleep stages change. For example a portion of my graph that was in "light sleep" could become "REM sleep" or "deep sleep"; if I change the start time again, it will again change.

I reckon when you edit your sleep times, the Fitbit software is re-evaluating the sleep "block" and then making best guesses as to what stage you were in at either time, so each edit is a new opportunity for the Fitbit software to make those guesses.

What I don't understand is that if my sleep start time was 11:30pm or 12:13 am, why it would think I was in light sleep vs rem or vice versa at one given point in time...

It seems like the stages are more guesstimates than people are assuming.

PS - the new "awake" metric is pretty poor in my experience. A lot of us are now getting absurd "awake" times compared to the old sleep tracking system (even with sensitivity set properly)

EDIT: I wanted to include some screenshots. While this isn't the best example of what I am describing it shows what I mean.

Sleep stages before edit (note time frame)Sleep stages before edit (note time frame)Sleep stages after edit (not new deep sleep stage)Sleep stages after edit (not new deep sleep stage)

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

UPDATE:

My tracker is now tracking time in the middle of night when I am sleeping (likely REM) as awake. These aren't short bouts of awake time (< few mins) but 15min+. I don't sleep walk or anything similar so I am unsure why I am getting these poor readings.

I really think there are some serious flaws with the stage tracks; the option to revert back to the "old" sleep system or ability to change a stage would be a nice option in the interim.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@j30,

As a workaround, if you turn Heart Rate to OFF before sleep in the settings, it will force it to use the old sleep model.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same concern but no answers. 😴

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think the new deep sleep stage is because in 8 hours of sleep 6 minutes of deep and 40 minutes of light makes a smaller impact than 6 minutes in a 46 minutes time ftam for 3 hours of sleep. Like 6/460 versus 6/180

Best Answer
0 Votes