Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You Should Read This If You Can't Sleep...

I understand that a lot of people can sometimes have a hard time falling asleep. Been there, done that. Who hasn't? But I do have a few tips if you have a hard time falling asleep. You should make sure that you always have a full day of activity. Always stay active. Exercising is great if you can never get enough sleep. It will tire you out and make you tired for bed. I also recommend to lose the electronics at least an hour before bed. No phone, no tablets, and try not to watch the television. Pick up a book instead. If you don't have books, that's sad. Go to your nearest library to borrow some books to read before bed. You can also buy books at your local book store. I recommend Barnes and Noble. But my point is, no screens before bed. Do not take sleep medicine unless it was prescribed by your doctor. Not even Melotonin or any other sleep aid or sleep vitamin. If you want to sleep well every night, you need to get it into a schedule. That also means to get to bed at a certain time every night and wake up at a certain time every morning. This will set your body into a routine schedule and you should get the right amount of sleep every night. Hope this helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

A lot of people say stay away from electronics before bed, try reading instead. I like to put on a movie, but turn the screen black and just listen to the dialogue. It has a similar effect on me like when I was little and my mom would read to me before bed. Just the casual talking tone. Because I am not actually working with my computer and the screen is black, can I keep going would this or would you recommend I stop. If I did stop, what about audiobooks with my phone? I need to lay my phone face down on my bed anyway for sleep tracking. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Follow some simple tips like avoiding caffeine in the afternoon and evening, and alcohol close in bedtime. Make sure your sleeping environment is quiet and dark throughout the night. Practice a simple breathing exercise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@cgarcia4039

Do what feels best for you. We are all different and different things work for different people. People are simply sharing tips here to improve sleep for those who are struggling.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is the idea that the blue light from screens has a bad effect on sleep.  Audiobooks and listening to a story on a blank-screen TV should be fine.  I love audiobooks, they keep me company when I can#t sleep.

Retired disabled, Charge5, Android, Win 10
Best Answer

@Sithmaith1

I think the concern with electronics is two-fold. As you point out the blue screens have been proven to have an influence on sleep as we keep producing a certain substance in our brain that keeps us awake. But there are also concerns for the electro-magnetic waves involved with electronics.

@cgarcia4039

I am not sure if it is also an option for other phones, but my iPhone has  a "night shift" which lowers the amount of blue light and makes the screen look more red. I use it if I want to use my phone shortly before bed.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes