Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restless sleep as related to uncomfortable mattress

After a change of lifestyle, moving to a new house, new town, and so forth, I'm wondering if my sleep cycle has worsened because of that or because after 15+ years of sleeping on a waterbed and then a Sleep Number bed, for the past 2 years I have a regular mattress, and I toss and turn a lot now.  I knew before Fitbit that I'd wake up several times a night with my neck hurting or discomfort in arms or legs, so I change positions a lot.  And now monitoring my sleep with Fitbit, I have a lot more "restless sleep" and waking up in the cycle than I realized.  I had deep sleep for only 20 minutes out of 6 hours last night!  Since I have a hard time getting comfortable on the mattress (and it's a good Serta mattress, too!), changing positions all night, I'm wondering if it's the lifestyle change or the mattress.  Does anyone in the sleep topic have one of those sleep number beds?  Or a waterbed?

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

It sounds like it's more your change of mattress. Sleep Number and waterbeds are really different from a normal mattress. Why did you make the change?

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

Thank you for your input -- it's tempting to purchase a sleep number bed again.  I'd forgotten the difference.  

Best Answer

I'm looking at getting one too. It seems very versatile having different settings. Some nights I might want something firmer than others, depending on how the back feels.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

It's not even the firmness or lack thereof -- the sleep number bed allows your body to float pressure-free all night, so that the sleeper isn't changing positions in order to give the body rest.  I agree that it must be the mattress that's been causing the tossing and turning.  And it did take some getting used to -- having the fitbit watch on my wrist, but I'm getting used to that.

Best Answer

Do what I did..buy a waveless Waterbed, it's actually called a Sponge bed. I control the temperature with the heater.

Best Answer
0 Votes