Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electronic Devices at Bedtime

I suffer with a racing mind, either not being able to fall asleep at bedtime or waking up after a few hours and having trouble falling back asleep. I struggle to reach my goal of 7 hours of sleep each night. I am usually at 5 or 6 hours.  Insomnia and a racing mind is something that I have had since I was a child.

I have read some of the other posts, and saw some great recommendations that I will try. However many of them include the use of electronic devices (i.e. listening to podcasts, YouTube, etc.) Some suggested reading and I am curious if it means reading an actual physical book or an electronic device such as a kindle? I find watching Netflix relaxing, especially documentaries, but is that hindering my sleep?

Many sleep scientists have said that it is a good idea to stay away from electronics at bed time, keep them out of the bedroom all together.  I have tried this a few times, although sometimes I get anxious when I do not have my cell phone nearby, and it seems that if used properly, can be a tool to help relax me, based on suggestions in this thread: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Sleep-Better/Racing-mind-at-night/m-p/1769930

So my question is, do you feel that electronic devices can help or hinder sleep?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @SteviK,

There are a lot of studies on this, and they all say the same thing-- electronics at night don't help in getting to sleep.

One problem, as you mentioned, is that using them tends to get the mind active, which makes it harder to fall asleep.

Another issue, that many don't know about, is that electronics such as phones, TVs emit a lot of blue light. And that blue light signals the body that it's still daytime. So even if your mind is being calmed by using a phone before bed, your body isn't going to get the same "wind down" signal.

If you find not having those devices nearby is difficult, you can buy glasses that block the blue light, which helps quite a bit.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WavyDavey wrote:

Hi @SteviK,

There are a lot of studies on this, and they all say the same thing-- electronics at night don't help in getting to sleep.

One problem, as you mentioned, is that using them tends to get the mind active, which makes it harder to fall asleep.

Another issue, that many don't know about, is that electronics such as phones, TVs emit a lot of blue light. And that blue light signals the body that it's still daytime. So even if your mind is being calmed by using a phone before bed, your body isn't going to get the same "wind down" signal.

If you find not having those devices nearby is difficult, you can buy glasses that block the blue light, which helps quite a bit.

My cell phone has a blue light filter which automatically turns on at sundown and turns off at sunrise. I have that set up. Maybe it will help. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

It might. Another thing about electronics, the stimulation from watching movies or surfing the Internet can prevent good sleep sometimes. I can't tell you how many times I thought to check email before bed, then kept waking up thinking about some email...

I like books the best for bedtime, but I hear that e-readers like Kindle are very nice, and the technology makes it similar to reading a book without a huge light shining in your face.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find for me if I have them near me, I am more inclined to take a peek if I wake up which is more disruptive than if I lay there staring in space and cursing my lack of sleep. I refuse to bring anything to bed with me. I am lucky enough to have a husband who brings his phone to bed so in case of emergency he is the go to (although he could sleep through a zombie apocalypse - maybe not the best plan). I turn my phone off every night by 830 and I shut the TV off by 1030. After that its anyone's guess how long I will stay asleep, but I find if I stick to a pattern it works out better...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes