Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding sleep information frustrating...

ANSWERED
I like everything about Fitbit except the way it calculates time spent asleep. Since 10 or 20 pc is normal “awake” time during the sleep cycle this time should be part of time spent “asleep.” When a doctor or researcher recommends 8 hours of sleep, I believe they mean sleep from, say, 10 pm to 6 am. They do not mean sleep for 9.4 hours because 15 percent is going to be deducted. It’s frustrating getting numbers that make it seem like I’m sleep deficient when I’m really not. At best, if I want to discuss my sleeping habits with my doctor, I’d have to do a conversion which is inconvenient
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I'm not sure what type of conversion your reffering to @Sheeshee. If your awake, are you really sleeping? This awake time is something your sleep monitor should know about and would show up in a professional sleep study.

Several users have worn their fitbits while participating in a requested or non requested sleep study and found that their Fitbit sleep record was remarkably close in accuracy in the produced graph.

If I was going to discuss my sleep habits with my doctor, I would show him my phone and the sleep graphs Fitbit produced 

My doctor is smart enough to understand what he is looking at.

When it comes to sleep a it is very common for the body to switch types of sleep throughout the night.

You might want to read the sleep FAQ.

What should I know about sleep stages?

Learn about the sleep stages you cycle through at night

I went ahead and moved your post to the sleep board

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

I'm not sure what type of conversion your reffering to @Sheeshee. If your awake, are you really sleeping? This awake time is something your sleep monitor should know about and would show up in a professional sleep study.

Several users have worn their fitbits while participating in a requested or non requested sleep study and found that their Fitbit sleep record was remarkably close in accuracy in the produced graph.

If I was going to discuss my sleep habits with my doctor, I would show him my phone and the sleep graphs Fitbit produced 

My doctor is smart enough to understand what he is looking at.

When it comes to sleep a it is very common for the body to switch types of sleep throughout the night.

You might want to read the sleep FAQ.

What should I know about sleep stages?

Learn about the sleep stages you cycle through at night

I went ahead and moved your post to the sleep board
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello,

Thx for your reply but it doesn’t address anything I brought up. Perhaps you should re-read it.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Well I still don't understand the question. Your saying that you want the time awake to be recorded as being asleep so that your doctor can better understand your sleeping habits. To me this makes no sense, especially considering a paid sleep study would mark the time awake as being awake.

I was trying to elaborate on what info a sleep study would give and how it relates to the info Fitbit provides.

As for your question, it simply does not make sense to me and I'm not sure where the thought is coming from or what logic was used to come to the conclusion that awake time needs to be recorded as sleep.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Fitbit notes that an average normal person is actually awake 15% of their sleep cycle. So when a doctor tells you to get 8 hours of sleep per night they don’t mean sleep for 9.4 hours because 15% of your time is going to be deducted. It’s very clear in my opinion but the way Fitbit calculates sleep time is contrary to the way it’s used by the rest of the world.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I no longer have any faith in the sleep cycle information. The other night I put my fitbit on the charger and laid it on the desk.  I forgot to put it back on before going to bed and while it was on the charger it recorded an over 8 hour sleep, complete with the cycles of when I supposedly was awake or in deep sleep. So I wonder about the other things that it supposedly records while on my wrist.

Best Answer
0 Votes