Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you make sure you remember to put your fitbit into sleep mode?

ANSWERED
I'm really bad at remembering to track my sleep 🙂
Do any of you have things you do to help you remember to put your fitbit into sleep mode as you go to bed?
Best Answer
99 REPLIES 99

I just set up my Fitbit Charge yesterday.  I wore it to bed, and then inputted the time I went to bed, and then my wake up time this am.  But how does it tell you how you slept? I know I woke during the night but it didn't show that at all.  I was hoping it would tell me specifics, how many hours I actually slept, how many times I woke up etc. Am I expecting too much?

Best Answer
The Fitbit Charge HR has the ability to read your heart rate and that helps
but the Charge and the Flex can only read your body movement and it watches
for restlessness. I look at these as good indicators and helpers but not
absolutes. The only way to really tell if you're asleep or awake is to get
all those cords and lines hooked up like at the hospital and read your
brain waves.
Use it as a guide but don't believe everything it tells you.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Well it DOES track your restlessness and your sleep. What it cannot do is track the time you are holding still staring at the ceiling. so it gives a very optimistic record of your sleep.
Or maybe it?s not working My FLEX tracks.
Best Answer
0 Votes

you don't need to input the time you go to bed, your tracker will detect it.  if you click on the log tab on your dashboard, then the sleep tab and scroll down a little you will see your sleep efficiency.  also you have the option to have your fitbit on 'normal' sleep, or 'sensitive' sleep (click on Settings, then Devices)  when it's on sensitive it will pick up your every movement, which is interesting if you have sleep issues.  i'm horrified to find i'm usually disturbed up to 22 times a night and i average 4 hours of sleep a night, i don't know how i manage.

hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit Charge does tell you how many hours you slept, how many times you woke up and amount time awake during that time as well as restless sleep when it detected movements and you may not necessarily have been a wake. 

On your dashboard it will show you time to bed and time you got out of bed with the above information as well.  I use the sleep analysis alot because I have alot of sleep issues.  Works like a charm. 

If by chance the device did not detect the time to bed, you can log it and it will download the data (times awake, etc..) BTW this has only happened twice and once I put the start time and end time in, it pulled all the data right to the dashboard..

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can always adjust that through manual mode on the website

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I'm new to the Fitbit family.

I have a Fitbit Surge, do I need to put it to sleep or is the data i'm getting about sleep correct as it just realises that your not moving so much??

Any help much appreciated.

Andrea

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Andrea, no you do not have to put it to sleep it does it automatically.
Best Answer
0 Votes
How does it know that I'm sleeping vs awake during the night? I see the graph and it tells me my stats but I don't really get how it knows my sleep vs awake state...

Beth
Best Answer
0 Votes

It's great to see that you've visited the Fitbit Community @Afletcher I'll be glad to help on this :cathappy:

Your Surge is meant to sense your sleeping periods by using Autodetection. This is based on your movement and your heart rate. When you haven’t moved in over an hour and your heart rate is lowered, algorithms assume that sleep has begun, which is then confirmed by the length of time your movements only indicate sleep behavior (rolling over, etc). Morning movement tells your tracker that you’re awake. 

@bether  If you have an HR based monitor, the sleeping pattern is explained above, if your tracker does not have an HR monitor, sleep is calculated like this:

During sleep mode, when your body is completely at rest and unmoving, your Fitbit tracker records that you are asleep. A restless state of sleep indicates that your body transitioned from a very restful position with little movement to movement, such as turning over in bed. This doesn't necessarily mean that you were fully awake or cognizant of your movements, but it may indicate that you were not getting the most restful sleep possible at that time. When your tracker indicates that you are moving so much that restful sleep would not be possible, your sleep graph will indicate that you were awake.

You can check our Sleep Tracking FAQs guide on this page. Hope this helps!:catvery-happy:

@MikeD2001 Thank you for your help on this! 

Let me know if you have any questions, happy stepping! 

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

I am glad to help. I found this reply very helpful for me as well. I figured out the basics however, it was good to hear I was on the right track. I just didn't want to say too much about what I was unsure of.

Thank you for the detailed explination of sleep mode.

Mike D.

Best Answer

If you tap your fitbit 5 times it will go to sleep, I was always pressing sleep now on my phone when I got into bed, but then I would forget to actually go to bed and the sleep would be wrong. Then I learned tap tap 5 times until it blinks with 2 lights lit flashing. That is sleep. Now I feel like the old lady in the clap on clap off commercial from the 90s. She claps her hands and instantly asleep, or stroked it's hard to tell in the commercial, but it is what reminds me to tap tap x 5. Hope that helps, please do not have a stroke.

Best Answer

It's just become part of my nightly routine. 

Teeth, PJ's, medication, alarm clock, fitbit, light, bed.

😄

Best Answer

I got a flex and am having a hell of a time figuring it out. Now I'm reading about sleep mode. Do I have that and how would I use it to put it on and turn it off?  Sorry I'm so clueless

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @Addiesgram! I'll be glad to show you how to put your Flex on Sleep mode Cat Happy

Hold your finger close to the band, tap rapidly (or about 5 taps shortly after each other) untill it buzzes so it goes in sleep mode. When double tapping in sleep mode, two lights will be jumping from left to right. Repeat until it buzzes so it goes out of sleep mode.

By double tapping out of sleep mode , the 5 lights will flash and then show 1 to 5 lights depending on the daily goal progress. 

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions Smiley Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the flex and that has happened to me too.  When you sync, then go into log, and into the sleep area there is a little piece of paper and pencil (edit) in the same box, upper right side.  And you can go in and change the time you went to bed and got up.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Tap it when you go to bed . (You'll see lights).
Then tap it again when you get up.
You'll see the readout on your computer.
If you lie awake and stare at the ceiling and don't move, you'll trick it.
Also, on the computer you can edit to make more accurate.
Best Answer
0 Votes

ok how do you put the fitbit to sleep??!!!  didn't know you had to do this.  i get a sleep record, which usually shows accurate sleep times, and several restless periods per nite.  it even tracks when i take a nap in the daytime.  so how and why do i need to put it to sleep?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think it is only the Flex, One and Zip that needs to be put into sleep mode.  I think the Charge and possibly the Surge record all complete inactivity as sleep.  I have the flex and you rapidly tap it to get it into and out of sleep mode.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've only had mine since the beginning of this month but I very quickly got into a routine of going into sleep mode every night. I don't always go to sleep straight away, sometimes I read, but my last thing before settling down to sleep is to put my fitbit into sleep mode.

"Dieting is the only game where you win when you lose!"

Best Answer
0 Votes