Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you use the redesigned Fitbit app to get a better night's sleep?

The newly redesigned Fitbit app recently rolled out and with all kinds of ways to help with your sleep goals:  What do you do to help get a better night's rest?

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

What does "Start sleep" do? Has that always been an option? Now an option next to "Start exercise" (formerly .."Live Track"?) Is "Start sleep".  I have a Sense2 which seems to detect+record my sleep decently well overall.  Is there an advantage to using this new function?  Android app ver4.00.1, FW pre-192.

Best Answer

I read in a thread somewhere in the Fitbit forums that the “Start sleep” and the “Begin sleep now” and other similar buttons and switches are remnants from the old versions of the Fitbit app and/or Fitbit devices, particularly the devices that could not automatically detect sleep. 

Newer devices like the Sense, Sense 2, various Versa models etc are capable of detecting when the user goes to sleep, so there is no need to manually switch the newer devices into sleep mode.

In fact, my limited testing of these manual sleep switches show that the sleep data collected by my Sense is not as detailed (when manually switched on) compared to when the Sense automatically detects my sleep (when the manual switches are not switched on).

I hope that all makes sense. 

Best Answer

My sleep tracking doesn't always work. I have gone to bed and sleep at around 11 the night before, but the tracker shows I didn't go to sleep till 1 am.  I have sleep problems which is why I like the tracker, but I know I always go straight to sleep and my issues don't start till about 4 hours in.  Wondering if there is a reason this automatic sleep tracker is no longer reliable. Does this mean it just doesn't work? Time for a new Fitbit, or could there be some other issue?

Best Answer

Not sure if this helps. But I am a newbie and I was encountering similar issues as you. My Sense would only record sleep hours(!) after I have been to bed…and I know I have fallen asleep way earlier than the sleep record for the previous night. 

My solution is as follows. As soon as I wake up and move around for a minute or two, I check my iPhone Fitbit App to see that there is a sleep record for the night. If it is clearly wrong, for example, it shows I slept from 2.31am when I know I went to bed at 10.45pm. I open and edit the sleep record to show my sleep time starting at 10.45pm

As soon as I save and exit the sleep record, the app goes off and recalculates my sleep rating.

Of course, if I slept badly and there was no sleep rating for that night, the manual adjustment cannot force the app to create a sleep rating. If there is one, it seems to recalculate each time.

I have only owned and worn my Sense since mid October 2023. It is the original Sense, not the Sense 2. 

Best Answer

Thanks. I contacted Customer Service and they advised me to set my sleep tracker to Normal. (It had been on sensitive which I did because it wasn't working and I thought it needed a higher level of sensitivity.) I changed it back to Normal. I as also told to connect my fitbit to my charger and hold the buttons for 10 seconds.  I did that and I briefly saw a smiley face and then it went back to the normal display.  After that it has been working correctly!

I suggest you try this as well.  I understand you can manually change the time you go to sleep but for me that defeats the purpose of having this on my wrist to do it automatically. I have had mine for about 3 years and the problems only started happening recently.  If you are having these problems after only a couple of months, I suggest you also contact Customer Service.

Good luck and sleep well!

Best Answer

I have a Pixel watch 2 and tracking my sleep on it. I was lying in bed awake, moving, including literally checking the time etc on my watch itself, and apparently the next morning I see that the sleep tracker thought I was in *deep* sleep at this time. Can the algorithm not add stuff like movement, ambient lighting and the actual use of the device as hints that you're not in deep sleep? @LeticiaFitbit is there a community board for bug fixes and/or feature requests where fitbit developers provide users responses/feedback? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I want to be able to setup a window for displaying my sleep.  I generally have to get up in the night for 1 to 3 hours before I can get back to sleep and would like this to show up on one sleep log.  As it is I find using the app very time consuming.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LeticiaFitbit, I know your OP was from September ‘23 but I thought I would list what has helped me with my sleep patterns:

1. I cut off all caffeine consumption by 12 noon
  2. I set all my electronic devices to utilize “night shift” (on Apple) or “night light” (on Android) which makes your screen amber in color, removing blue. All my devices automatically go amber at 8pm. I don’t really know the science behind this, but it seems to help.
  3. I don’t eat any large meals after 7pm or so, but allow a snack (200? 250 calories) later in the evening
  4. NO video games after dark — which is the hardest requirement 😂

I’ll be 71 yoa next month, and sleep had been becoming an issue - but doing these four things have helped a lot. My sleep score on Fitbit is usually in the low 80s, which is pretty good for an old feller like me.

Versa 4 through a Motorola Razr 2023 // Retired Charge 5, Blaze, Versa and Charge HR // Fitbit Fan since 2016, 50+ pounds lost
Best Answer
My issues are some what different and on medication that helps but need
to learn more.

Thanks for your reply

Alan
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a charge 5 and have not noted a difference with the redesigned app. What were the changes made that could help with sleep goals?

Best Answer

Same with my Fitbit sleep tracking.  Lately it is missing data for my sleep before midnight or spanning midnight.  I usually sleep in two segments, and it misses the first one especially if before midnight.  Very annoying for someone that has a tracker primarily for sleep tracking.  Tried all the restarts, fully charged,etc. Sadly, I will have to start looking for alternatives.  

Best Answer
What I want to see is the ability to set a sleep start time and end time
that could cover multiple sleep periods which may or may not address
your issue.

What I am seeing is that the sleep periods are recorded separately and
therefore are difficult to evaluate as a whole.

I live in a state where eatable marijuana is available and started
experimenting to see what I can do using it to improve my sleep.   I
have had some success but still working on finding the best combination
of components.

The main components that I am aware of are.  Talk to the people at the
pot shop they have been very helpful for me.

CBD

CBG

THC

CBN
Best Answer
0 Votes