Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Sleep score work?

ANSWERED

Can someone please explain Sleep Score to me

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Best Answer
229 REPLIES 229

When I contacted them they said to make a post on this site and their people would be monitoring it.  The fact that they have not changed it means they are not monitoring it or more likely they don’t care what we, their consumers want.   There are plenty of other fitness trackers so I will be researching into other ones.  For now I switched back to my Alta that does not have the HR feature so I don’t have to see their score.  

Best Answer
Hi - truthfully I’m going low tech on this one and it’s working well enough so far. Ive got a Timex Ironman and an inexpensive but highly rated pedometer from Amazon. I’m not missing the sleep tome or the stages of sleep at all. I go by how I feel in tge morning. Call me old fashioned, right? 😎

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree! I'm very disappointed in Fitbit, that they removed the very useful Sleep Efficiency statistics and replaced it with their made up Sleep Score. I have severe obstructive sleep apnea, and the Sleep Efficiency statistics were very useful to me. The Sleep Score is meaningless, and in my opinion, it seems to just be a way for Fitbit to make us sign up for Premium so they can make more money off of us. They removed something that we already paid for in our annual subscription in order to get any information from our Fitbit. That's not right. I primarily have a Fitbit for the sleep tracking. If they don't restore the Sleep Efficiency statistics soon, I will be buying from another company. I buy a new Fitbit every year because they stop working after about a year's usage.

Best Answer

For those who are getting a zero because their Fitbit didn't measure their heart rate, I have a Fitbit HR, and have found that my Fitbit devices stop logging heart rate after about a year of usage. I don't know why, but they just stop, and I have to buy a new device.

Best Answer

Yes!!! I agree!!! This is just a money grab.

Best Answer

I totally agree. The old statistics that showed sleep efficiency averages was very useful. The new sleep score seems made up, and is totally useless.

Best Answer

I, too, am a long-time Fitbit user. I've owned multiple Fitbit devices because they usually stop working after just over a year's usage. I can live with that because I really like their sleep tracking data, that is, I did until recently when they replaced the sleep efficiency with their made up Sleep Score, and added insult to injury by wanting to charge us for "Premium" service to explain a meaningless measure that they made up. If they don't listen to their user base outcry, which it appears isn't happening, then I will be switching to another company. It's sad, since they have the best sleep tracker on the market, but that was because of the "old" data they provided that has now been taken away from us.

Best Answer
Yes it is sad isn’t it? Especially to not see any acknowledgement from Fitbit that they have seen our comments.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

When I first purchased my Fitbit some years back, it was my sleep efficiency information, along with comments on this community forum from people who had found out they had sleep apnea, that prompted me to tell my doctor about it. He prompted scheduled me for a sleep study, and I found out I have severe obstructive sleep apnea. If the made up sleep score had been there at that time, I would've never had the information I needed to ask the question.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm seeing the same problem. On nights that I get good sleep over the course of many hours and wake up feeling rested, I'll have a low Sleep Score. On other nights that I was awake, and even up out of bed, for many hours and wake up exhausted and feeling sleep-deprived, I'll have a high Sleep Score. It's a meaningless "score" anyway, and it replaced the very useful Sleep Efficiency percentages. If they don't put things back like they were soon, I will be shopping elsewhere for a new device. I've been a Fitbit user for many years, and I have to buy a new Fitbit pretty much every year because they stop working after about a year's usage.

Best Answer

Agree as well. Fitbit is turning something as vital as sleep into a competition. And leaving 90% of us feeling inadequate. Well done Fitbit! I now stress out over my sleep score. Was that the intention?

And why force the score upon us? Giving people a choice is more democratic. 

Best Answer

The sleep score has disappeared for me. I wonder if that means that they took it off for those without heartbeat sensors on their watches, but left it on for those with the sensors?

Best Answer

Yes you are correct.  The sleep score only appears for devices with the HR option. 

Best Answer

...And we don’t want it!!!!!

Best Answer

I would love to be able to see my averages total hours slept as well.

I would like to have the option to see both.

Best Answer
If you google in "Fitbit.com" and use the website instead of the app you can find the average sleep. Mot as convenient as the app but the info is available.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer

Because of the depressing sleepscore, I stopped using my Fitbit completely and will buy another brand.

The way complaints are handeld is VERY DISSAPOINTING. 

Best Answer
I feel the same. I am looking into another brand as well.
Best Answer

@Esso1962 @Wilcoa @pastimz 
Maybe I don't understand the issue but if you make the graph 'number of hours in sleep fases' (first image) 'full screen', it also shows your average sleep (second image). Sorry for the Dutch screen shots but I hope you recognize what I mean. 

Screenshot_20191208-131516.jpg

Screenshot_20191208-131428.jpg

Tracking my health and movements with Fitbit from april 2014, now using a Sense 2™
Best Answer
Unable to see the pics. My sleep score is zero all the time---old Chsrge HR so it doesn't support it. I just ignore it since Fitbit seems to be ignoring this issue. I still access my ave hours sleep by logging into fitbit.com and going to the sleep section. I do plan on getting another upgraded Fitbit when this one bites the dust or they have an exceptional sale. It's not that big a deal for me. I suppose if I saw a good or bad number for sleep score all the time that might make a difference but since it's always zero, not that big an issue. Besides, we are getting a sleep number bed today and that also records your sleep quality so will rely on that number. I do like my Charge HR but am looking forward to eventually upgrading.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer