Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact on Melatonin wearing a FitBit.

The pineal gland is responsible for melatonin production and melatonin is important for sleep. Light striking the body, not just the eyes, can disrupt melatonin production.

So my question.

Do the two flashing green lights on the back of the fitbit (mines a charge HR) result in a disruption to melatonin production, and if so does that mean wearing my fitbit while sleeping will actively disrupt my normal sleep pattern?

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

@widgewilliams wrote:
The pineal gland is responsible for melatonin production and melatonin is important for sleep. Light striking the body, not just the eyes, can disrupt melatonin production.

So my question.

Do the two flashing green lights on the back of the fitbit (mines a charge HR) result in a disruption to melatonin production, and if so does that mean wearing my fitbit while sleeping will actively disrupt my normal sleep pattern?

That's a bit of a strech.

You may want to (if you haven't already) read up on blue light effect on sleep,

like using computers or watching television within a couple of hours of sleep.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side

Best Answer
0 Votes

Those flashing lights are on for such a short period, and then it goes dark, so I don't think it should affect the sleep at all. My alarm clock time is also a green color, and gives off way more light than the FitBit does, and is continuous. 

Best Answer
0 Votes