Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to earn a 100 sleep score?

According to this article by Fitbit, most users earn a sleep score between 72-83.  Since the score is out of 100, and the display on iOS shows up as a circle that I have failed to close, I am wondering if anyone has ever actually earned a sleep score of 100.   Is it actually possible to achieve this goal?  If so, how?  Were strong sleeping pills involved?  

(Edit to add: No, I do not take sleeping pills, I do not drink, and I do not want to take any substances.  I made this comment because I believe the scoring system sets an impossible standard.  And no, I am not buying premium just to see the math).

Honestly, even on a night when I slept for over 10 hours with plenty of deep sleep, my “score” was still only an 84.  It seems impossible to earn above the low 80s.

It feels like I am taking one of those impossible “weed-out” classes in college where nobody earns above a B- and the prof doesn’t give As on principle.  Is that the model here?  

If it’s not really possible to get a sleep score of 100, why is the sleep score configured to look like an achievable “goal” from which we have somehow fallen short?  If we are doing everything in our power to get good sleep, and we still cannot earn 100 or even 90, what’s the point of it?  Fitbit has been so useful for helping me to set and reach goals.  Why create a goal that is inherently unattainable?

Best Answer
185 REPLIES 185

I’ve been wondering too. Is the sleep score adjusted for age? If I am awake less, in the range for REM and deep sleep for my age, then isn’t that better than “fair” or “good”?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Thanks for the info.

Just wondering when you get over 91 does you score go from "good" to "v good" or something like that?

Robbie

Best Answer
0 Votes

From 90 it is “Excellent”.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My best is 85 in early Autumn.. I will never get higher than that because, in Winter, sleeping at night with extra blankets and the same RHR as Autumn, my HR goes above well above because I have a low RHR. I'm typically getting a score of 13 on the restoration graph where I was getting 20 in Autumn with the same RHR.. A penalty of 7 points to keep warm. 

Others have posted about this anomoly but I'm not going to deny warmth in Winter. 

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes
Not sure. My highest is 86. I believe a lot of it is how often you wake up. The less red the better. I have a lot of leg pain so I wake up a lot. On the high score days I have woke up less
Right now I’m in the 70s cause my knee is acting up and due to Covid I did not go for an injection. I have to wait a month. I will bet my scores will go back to high 80s after

Hope all is well with you and your family. God Bless! Eileen🌸🌸🌸
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello, I’m new to the Fitbit, I am a 54 year old female and although I am quite active I definitely need to take more exercise. I got mine a couple of days ago and sleep scored 85 on the first night then 90 last night. I must say I was surprised at such high scores as I don’t have a curtain at the window near my head so the room gets light very early. I got my Fitbit to help encourage me to stop smoking, I’ve smoked cigarettes for 40 years, I smoke around 20 roll-ups per day.  This obviously shows that you certainly don’t have to be fit (unless I am fitter than I should be) to get high sleep scores. I will be very interested to see what my scores are when I finally stop smoking. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m pretty sure the time asleep is based on the goal you set for yourself so it is specific to each user.

i have been trying to figure out exactly how the time asleep portion of the score works though as I haven’t been able to score over 46/50 — I think if you hit your time asleep goal, you get the 50 and then you lose 1 point for every 15 minutes that you’re awake? I typically am awake for just over an hour and score 45 and then on the nights where I’m awake for 50 some minutes, I’m up to 46. Can anyone confirm if this theory works with their scores?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Yennnny . I have always pondered over this question many times. I have days that i have had not so restful sleep and scored in the high eighties and have slept like a log and have scored in the 70s. I am still consciously looking at the sleep scores. But more than that what Fitbit Sleep App has done for me is to look beyond the sleep numbers and has gotten me into a habit of sleeping close to my target sleep time and wake up time everyday. And i am already reaping huge rewards because of it. I am mentally more alert and i am able to go from idle to sprint in a fraction of seconds. I love the Fitbit Ionic and all the features but most importantly the sleep app. It has allowed me to drop my resting heart rate from low 60s to low 50s now. And i was able to do that only because of 8 hours of sleep everyday. I have worked out like crazy and have had 7 hours of sleep and it increases my resting heartbeat by 2-3 points. But if don't work out but get 8 or 8 plus hours of sleep it brings my resting heart beat from high 50s to low 50s. And that is absolutely fascinating for me. So i have stopped looking too much into the numbers but just try to maintain 8 hours sleep. Hope this helps in the whole scheme of things Good luck 👍!

Best Answer
0 Votes

But I’ve been looking for how those norms were created and how they break down the age groups, which is what brought me back here. So far after looking for a while, can’t find any article that rigorously set up the norms. I know enough about statistics to know that one needs to do such a thing with scientific rigor.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LM66 Very interesting.. I mean you hit 90...the highest i ever hit was 88 and i was exhilarated 😀

But i think you are on the right track but like you said it will be definitely be interesting to see how your scores look when you completely stop smoking. Best of luck👍

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Eileen690 Very true..the less red you have the better the sleep numbers and also the red should be hairline thin and not wide is what i believe. Because without you knowing you can be awake for a bit here and there in the night and that is totally normal. But say you pull a cramp or nursing an injury those red marks are wider means your total sleep score is a bit less. I find the sleep study so fascinating 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Colinm39 Just have question for you if you don't mind answering? I believe that you run a lot from the definition of your profile so does a rest day give you better sleep numbers than a run day? I have also seen that on a rest day my RHR is around lower 50s and on a run day(1-2 miles) my RHR is higher? Again everybody's body is different so i am making no assumptions here. Thank you and cheers!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I find on run days I am tired so I do tend to sleep better but as I’m older now I find I don’t seem to need as much sleep

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I do not run at all. I

Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks I hit a few 86 recently which I attributed to no wine, no water an hour before bed, no tv at bedtime and 10,000 steps. I felt really good when I woke up

Best Answer
0 Votes
A lot is common sense. Now I have a knee problem and my numbers are in the mid 70s. I don’t like to count a high number if I take any meds. I think of it as “cheating” lol

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m 61 and still run 3 times a week long may it continue. Best wishes to you xx

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I can walk fast lol

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes. I find I don’t need as much sleep at nite but a bit if afternoon rest seems to be the norm now

Best Answer
0 Votes