Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No getting enough Deep Sleep

Good morning everyone!

Im new to this community and looking for suggestions/help. My problem is that i have been having problems due to the lack of concentration/attention for the last couple of years, then i was diagnosed with Attention deficit disorder, after this i started to take some medications that helped me improve my performance but not the way a i expected.

Few weeks ago i got a Fitbit as a birthday present from my wife and loved it. After some days of use i realized im not getting enough deep sleep (between 5% and 9% of my total sleep time)  and i know thats related to some memory/concentration problems and then everything started to make sense to me.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @RogerPerez - You raise good points and you’ve taken the first steps ... recognizing the issue and wearing your Fitbit to bed in order to gather data. Fitbit offers a lot of good information on sleep, including the stages of sleep and how to use your device to sleep better. I manage chronic pain and sleep is so important to refresh the body and allow it to heal. I kept a journal, detailing my symptoms, their intensity and levels. Comparing this info to my Fitbit sleep info, I was able to pin point what actions helped me get a better sleep and which were detrimental to my sleep. This was important to me because the easy answer was more and different pain meds. Not what I wanted!  Here are a few tips I’ve learned along the way:

• Set consistent times for sleep. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same times. This allows your body to set a sleep rhythm. 
  • No electronic stimulation for 2 hours before bedtime ... no checking email, reading the news, spirited conversations in social media. TV is ok for me as long as the show is not horribly loud or violent. I found reading a book on my Kindle (which has no blue light. It looks like a paper page) relaxes me and sends a signal to my brain that it’s time to slow down. I also really, really like the Fitbit Relax feature on my device. I do it every night before bed and during the day if I am stressed. It slows my breathing and heart rate.  
  • Finally - and surprisingly this was most effective - no eating the last couple hours before bedtime. For me, once dinner is done, I’m done eating for the day. It seems to help my body relax, allowing even my digestive system to rest.

I added meds and the timing of meds into my journaling to see (from the data) when/if they were most effective. I’m happy to report this effort has had good benefits. I sleep much better, waking up refreshed and I’m off most meds. Good luck to you! Let us know how your journey to better sleep goes. It’s work but it’s worth it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @RogerPerez, welcome to the community forums! @SunsetRunner, thanks for sharing your experience and for the tips! 

I think that everyone at some point have experienced different Sleep disorders, of course, everyone is different so the experiences certainly vary. I remember that 2 years ago I was having hard times to fall asleep and I discovered that there were factors such as caffeine, bed-room environment that were affecting me. (I wasn't aware of them) So I decided to look for help and I was able to find this Fitbit blog that has helped me a lot and I still practice all of the tips provided there and I can say, I've gotten positive 😴💤 results! 😊

Also, let me share that I found a helpful thread here in the community in which other users have provided different tips and they have also share their experiences. I bet you will get some benefits based on those experiences 😊

See you around. 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer