Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skin temperature alarm

ANSWERED

Hello, I have a wacky chronic illness the exact details of which are unimportant. What is important is that my life would *greatly benefit* from being able to be woken from sleep if my body temperature spikes above a certain level. Somebody I know suggested that a fitbit might be capable of doing something like this, and after a quick search I have found some information about the skin temperature tracking feature, but I haven't been able to find anything that explicitly suggests I could configure it to alarm if a certain temperature is reached.

So, 1: Is this something a fitbit could be configured to do out-of-the box?
and 2: If it doesn't have such a feature out-of-the box, how about for somebody with substantial software development experience? I see a "developers" subforum on this forum which gives me some hope that there might be a way to mod the device or write an application for it?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

No, there is no alarm for skin temperature.

But for the "smart watches", primarily the Versa family, and Sense which is essentially a high end Versa, people can develop their own apps and clock faces.  I myself don't do any such development but from the little I have seen, that seems like something could possibly be done.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Sorry, but I don't think Fitbit could help you in that respect because it is just measuring skin temperature which doesn't necessarily correspond to internal temperature such as measured by a fever thermometer or infrared sensor "gun".

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Putting aside whether skin temperature is an effective proxy for body temperature for my purposes, does the temperature-triggered alarm functionality that i described exist? I don't mind taking a bit of a shot in the dark on the skin temperature thing, as my plan B right now is buying a USB IR camera and writing something myself to interpret the feed, which would take me months.

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, there is no alarm for skin temperature.

But for the "smart watches", primarily the Versa family, and Sense which is essentially a high end Versa, people can develop their own apps and clock faces.  I myself don't do any such development but from the little I have seen, that seems like something could possibly be done.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your help johnny, I will look into that further

Best Answer
0 Votes