Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep score

I hate it and it's not accurate.  I usually sleep between 6-7 hours and the sleep score is saying 3-4.  If that was the case I think I'd be the walking dead

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

The sleep score system is entirely useless.. I'm assuming it's out of 100? I got 4 hours 53 minutes last night and get a score of 69, this is utterly ridiculous. 8 hours is what you're meant to get as an adult (please refer to why we sleep by Matthew Walker, a leading sleep expert). If it was a simple % based system I'd score 61 but considering less than 6 hours a night on a regular basis is considered detrimental to health I don't feel this is an accurate representation. Please bring back average time per week. 

Best Answer

@CAO59 wrote:

I usually sleep between 6-7 hours and the sleep score is saying 3-4.

AFAIK, sleep score didn’t change the way Fitbit determines time asleep. Time asleep is counted as total time spent in bed, minus time spent awake.

You may disagree with the way Fitbit detects your bedtime, your wake up time and the time you’re awake in-between these, but it has nothing to do with sleep score.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TomW92 wrote:

The sleep score system is entirely useless.. I'm assuming it's out of 100? I got 4 hours 53 minutes last night and get a score of 69, this is utterly ridiculous. 8 hours is what you're meant to get as an adult (please refer to why we sleep by Matthew Walker, a leading sleep expert). If it was a simple % based system I'd score 61 but considering less than 6 hours a night on a regular basis is considered detrimental to health I don't feel this is an accurate representation. Please bring back average time per week. 

I don’t see where the problem is. Does Fitbit claims sleeping for 5 hours is better than sleeping  for 8 hours? So you slept for 4 hours 53 minutes and got a score of 69. It’s deemed "fair" on the Fitbit scale, but it comes after "excellent" and "good". Chances are you would have had a much higher score if you had got the 8 hours of sleep prescribed by your sleep guru.

I took my two extremes so far (I was switched to sleep scores 3 weeks ago). Here is my "best" night (90):

sleep score 90.png

I got the 8 hours prescribed by your guru, which resulted in 47/50 for time asleep, as one would expect. I assume the 40 minutes spend awake is what prevented me from getting the maximum.

Now here is my "worst" night (67):

sleep score 67.png

Time asleep less than 6 hours, more than 1 hour awake. Much less deep sleep and REM sleep. Again, the much lower score is what one you would expect.

Only "restoration" saved that night. Why is that, you may ask? Here is why:

sleep score restoration 24.png

My sleeping HR was below my daytime resting HR for 100% of the time.

I personally disagree with you when you deem sleep score "entirely useless".

And btw, weekly average of time asleep is still there to be seen, if you know where to look for it. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The point is its a random score and I am scoring fair with 10 minutes of REM in a night, no explination as to how its worked out means we have no way of knowing what it means. My 'sleep guru' is the worlds leading sleep scientist... as I have suffered from insomnia in the past I know a lot about sleep. It is important to get REM, of a certain amount or you wont feel refreshed. 'Light sleep' has certain benifits. Its great that it seems to work for you but I've been told my sleep was good after waking up exausted and not feeling refreshed, which by the way is directly related to a good nights sleep.. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think its great fun. I've just had a score of 93.for 8hrs 48m day before scored 92 for 6hrs 45. I constantly beat my wife's score.

Best Answer
0 Votes