Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep tracker is too sensitive

ANSWERED

Looking at posts, most people are complaining that the sleep tracking is too sensitive and says they are awake/restless during their sleep. I seem to see the opposite. I like to lie in for several hours and the Fitbit (Charge HR) thought I was still asleep, even though I was gaming on a tablet for several hours. One time I was lying on the couch watching TV and it thought I was asleep.

All this is well and good, I can get pretty sedentary at times. But I think the ability to edit an automatically created sleep pattern to cut out erraneous info would be handy. The couch one, I could just delete. The lying in bed, well that isn't so simple.

Any suggestions, or should I just relay this to tech support/app dev team?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi Brett.

What I have done when I've woken up in the morning and stayed lying down (or forgot to tap my tracker out of sleep mode) was to go into the sleep log on my dashboard after I sync my tracker.  If you hover your mouse by the words "awake/resless" in the upper right corner, you should see an icon of a little bit of paper with a pencil on it.  Clicking on that lets you edit that sleep log entry.  Now you can change the time you actually woke up.  When your done, click the update button and you should be set.  Good luck!

Karen Cat Happy

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Hi Brett.

What I have done when I've woken up in the morning and stayed lying down (or forgot to tap my tracker out of sleep mode) was to go into the sleep log on my dashboard after I sync my tracker.  If you hover your mouse by the words "awake/resless" in the upper right corner, you should see an icon of a little bit of paper with a pencil on it.  Clicking on that lets you edit that sleep log entry.  Now you can change the time you actually woke up.  When your done, click the update button and you should be set.  Good luck!

Karen Cat Happy

Best Answer

You can manually put your Charge into sleep mode.  Just hold down the button on the side until it vibrates and a stopwatch symbol appears on the display.  I like to lie in bed and read, so it sometimes said I was sleeping earlier/later than I was.  I also track the "Time to Fall Asleep" data, which says "0 min" if I don't manually put it in sleep mode.

Just turn on sleep mode when you turn off the lights, and stop it when you wake up.  It still might read some of your inactive time as sleep, but then those times will be listed as separate charts that are easy to delete (I'm not entirely sure about that last bit).

Best Answer

Thanks, that was exactly what I was after. Pity it doesn't seem to be a feature in the iphone app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the tip. I'm actually pretty good with it picking up when I go to sleep (pre bedtime walkaround generally helps). 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can manually put your Charge into sleep mode.  Just hold down the button on the side until it vibrates and a stopwatch symbol appears on the display.  I like to lie in bed and read, so it sometimes said I was sleeping earlier/later than I was.  I also track the "Time to Fall Asleep" data, which says "0 min" if I don't manually put it in sleep mode.

Just turn on sleep mode when you turn off the lights, and stop it when you wake up.  It still might read some of your inactive time as sleep, but then those times will be listed as separate charts that are easy to delete (I'm not entirely sure about that last bit).

but that's the workout function, not sleep mode

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DaftTron wrote:

but that's the workout function, not sleep mode

It does both.  If you turn it on, and then you're active, Fitbit reports it as a workout.  If you're idle while it's on, Fitbit reports it as sleep.

Best Answer

Manually, manually!  This is suppose auto and that was one of the reasons I found it attractive.  Sleep is as important to me as steps (well almost) since I have had problems with sleep my whole life.  The Fitbit registers I get between 3 to 4 hours a night which I do get more.  When I had my UP in my oppinion the sleep tracker on it was much more accurate but thats about it.  I like the Fitbit for others.  The UP registered "Light" sleep and @ "deep" sleep and I am wondering if the Fitbit sometimes registers "light" sleep as "restless".  I have been a light sleeper all my life but that doesn't mean I only get 3 to 4 hours a night.  I am really not thrilled with this sleep function but you can't have everything I guess.  I am to busy to have to go into the app to log anything even what I eat which I use to try but the sleep function is important.  I usually doze when I read and pushing a button is not on my mind.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am using my "sensitive" mode to track my sleep. It registers 4 to 5 hours of sleep per night. Last week I went to my sleep clinic for an all night sleep study. I wore my HR Tracker. I was very pleased to see that the results of the sleep study and my tracker were very, very close in sleep efficiency and sleep/restless time.

Best Answer

Good to know. Thanks, @klip

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had a sleep study a few years ago and I find the Fitbit to be pretty accurate with what they told me.  I have mine set to sensitive and on the rare occassion it tracked my "watching tv" as sleep but that was only in the first few weeks of using.  It's been 3 months now and hasn't done that for some time.  Or I'm moving more than I realize now.

Best Answer

I have found that setting my sleep sensitivity in the sleep settings to "normal" rather than "sensitive" my sleep activity is more accurate. On "sensitive" it says I get about 3-4 hours sleep but on "normal" setting it's 6-7. Mine does track light sleep, deep sleep, REM etc. now but not all the time.

Best Answer