Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleeping Heart Rate (covid pneumonia recovery)

I've been recovering from covid for about 8 weeks now and my average resting heart rate has gradually come down as I have started to exercise and cope with daily activities.

I was in hospital for a month, diagnosed with Tachycardia and lung scarring. I'm pretty mobile around the house now, but do get tired easily, especially mid afternoon oddly! I have only just started to go outdoors for very short walks of a 150m or so as I struggle to walk further without needing a rest. I was told my troubles are not helped by the muscle wastage I had.

Recently, my sleeping heart rate has started to drop. My average is now 67 bpm, down from around 76 bpm 2 months ago.

At night it can drop as low as 50 bpm, although generally seems to hover around 55-65bpm. I presume this is ok and a sign my health is starting to recover?

What is a normal sleeping heart rate?

Before all this illness kicked off, I was a fit and healthy 50 year old, who ran and cycled 3-4 times a week, and did lots of walking in between that!

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

So sorry to hear about these long term covid issues, @Natastrophe. You can find “normal” sleeping heart rates if you google it. But I would strongly suggest you ask your doctor for their opinion. 

Wishing you success on your road to recovery! 

Best Answer

Thanks. Seems this was nothing to worry about. In deep sleep, my heart rate drops quite low, around 55bpm, my average heart rate varies between 67 - 73bpm. Sleep has been an issue, although its starting to improve as I get better. I do get the odd night, where I simply cannot sleep, and feel absolutely pants the following day, but thankfully these are quite rare now. They are usually caused when I get anxious about something, or overthink something.

I still go to bed very early, as I get so tired still, but am a lot better and try to walk at least 3 times a week, on the other days I do strength training, stairs, putting shopping away, housework.

I'm still a good few months from running, but on my walks I can do a short burst of slow jogging for 30 seconds!

Best Answer
0 Votes