Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleeping to lose weight?

ANSWERED

I just started using my fitbit a few days ago, and I pretty much ignored the sleep tracking, even though it said I only got 5 hours of sleep a night. But I recently read that getting less than 6 hours of sleep significantly increases the risk of obesity, and that getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night helps your body lose weight as well as maintain weight loss. 

Has anyone experienced this? Because if so, I might have to start changing a few more habits!

Nikki | NYC
Flex | Mac | Android Samsung Galaxy S5
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@modelinafatgirl: Research shows not enough sleep leads to weight gain. It lowers your energy level and boosts hunger and so on. Also it leads to various illness. Check this article. Here is another study done in UK few years ago. 

Try to get minimum 7 hours of sleep. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

I can't say it's a direct correlation, however, when I'm not sleeping well my energy levels can be lower.  Because of work commitments my sleep has been lower the last couple of weeks.  I can usually get up early and workout without any trouble.  However, this week It's been a disaster - getting over 8 hours on Saturday night (high for me), then just over 5 hrs on Sunday, not even 3 hrs on Monday - and I didn't get my tracker synced this morning before I left home.  However, I couldn't drag myself out of bed to do any kind of workout, so now I'll have to do it tonight.

Some people run very well on lower sleep.  In fact I'm pretty sure I did when I was 20 or maybe even 30 years younger.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem -- working out is always harder when I'm tired. Okay, I guess I'm adding sleep to my goals!

Nikki | NYC
Best Answer
0 Votes

When you are tired you also tend to overeat if you are not careful. The body has a hard time regulating hormones and therefore we crave junk food more.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

@modelinafatgirl: Research shows not enough sleep leads to weight gain. It lowers your energy level and boosts hunger and so on. Also it leads to various illness. Check this article. Here is another study done in UK few years ago. 

Try to get minimum 7 hours of sleep. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Esya@Bhuvana thank you both! I was trying to ignore the information I was reading,  but it makes sense.

I actually got 7 and a half hours of sleep last night and lost two pounds after being at the same weight for almost a week. 

I guess it works!

Nikki | NYC
Best Answer