Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Tips for Better Sleep When You Suffer Allergies

Hello everyone! 😁

How have you been? 

I believe you know that seasonal allergies, also known as hay fever or allergic rhinitis, can disrupt your sleep in a number of ways. When allergens enter our bodies, an immune response is produced to get rid of the offending allergen. This immune response in turn produces the familiar symptoms and discomfort many have come to know during allergy season. Some symptoms created by these reactions include:

1. Itchy or Watery Eyes
  2. Sneezing or Coughing
  3. Nasal Congestion
  4. Fatigue
  5. Stuffy or Runny Nose

Irritation in your nasal passages can cause coughing or sneezing, which can prevent you from falling asleep, or even wake you with a start during the night. In fact, sleep disorders are often underreported in people with allergies, which can make these sleepless nights even more miserable.

Some common allergens include pollen, dust mites, mold spores, or pet dander. Different types of pollen can create symptoms throughout allergy season based on the periods these plants are in bloom. Allergies to dust, mold, or dander can occur year-round in what’s known as perennial allergic rhinitis.

Pet Allergies: 

A major source of pet allergens is dander, which is made up of dead skin flakes that our pets shed. Others may include saliva, urine, and even blood. These allergens, like others, can be easily circulated through the home, where they can remain on soft surfaces like carpet and furniture for months. We all love our pets, but cats and dogs may also be inadvertently contributing to our allergy symptoms.

Sleep Better During Allergy Season: 

1. Shower Before Bed: a warm bath or shower washes away any lingering allergens on your body, as well as helps you unwind before bed. 

2. Keep Doors and Windows Closed: while it’s tempting to invite the nice spring air inside rather than using air conditioning, you may want to reconsider if you have allergies to pollen. Keeping doors and windows closed will keep extra allergens out of your home, and help keep your symptoms under control.

3. Adjust Your Laundry Routine: if you’re especially concerned about allergens in your home, there are a variety of hypoallergenic sleep products available to help keep seasonal allergies in check. If you spend a lot of time outside during allergy season, put your clothes into the wash as soon as you come inside for the day. Avoid letting your clothes dry outside, this can attract more pollen and allergens. Instead, put your clothes in the dryer to keep them allergen-free.

4. Take Allergy Medication at Night: You’ll want to check with your doctor before you do this, but taking any allergy medication at night will make sure that the medication won’t wear off in the middle of the night, and will stay strong while you sleep. If you are taking an over-the-counter medication, check the ingredients to be sure it doesn’t have caffeine or other stimulants that might keep you awake.

Take Back the Night: 4 Ways Allergies Can Destroy Your Sleep, and What You  Can Do About It | Sleep Study, Sleep Clinic | Valley Sleep Center | Arizona

>>>Is anyone suffering allergies that disrupt sleep? What tips do you follow to control this?<<<

I'll love reading your comments 😎

Have a great day! 
Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I hadn't thought about the shower before bed before, but it makes sense. And it will save time in the morning too.  I'll give it a try.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Hello @Baltoscott. It's nice to see you around! 

In my own experience, taking a shower before bed has helped me a lot! It makes me feel comfortable and relaxed. I'll be interested to know how it goes for you 😃

See you around. 

Best Answer

Oh the dreaded springtime allergies! Adding to what @WilsonFitbit said...

No shoes in the bedroom. Keeps the pollen that's on the shoes in the hallway and out of my nose.

Clean your hairbrush. If you brush and pollen is in there and then you shower - you're putting the pollen right back on your hair.

So @Baltoscott showering at night working better for you?

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Forgot to add to be sure to keep the ceiling fan dusted, as well as making sure you've dusted any furniture and do a thorough vacuuming of the carpet. I use an aromatherapy mister in the bedroom which keeps the humidity level comfortable and can switch the blends to help with sleep. Breathe Easy is my current blend. 

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Hi @Odyssey13. Nice to see you around! 

I was reading what you shared and other tips, and that’s why it’s a good idea to give the home a thorough, dust-busting spring cleaning once the weather gets warmer. Indoor allergens typically include triggers like dust mites, mold, and pet dander, which tend to collect and thrive in the home, however it can also include pollen and all types of outdoor allergens that are tracked in from outside. These often settle onto furniture and floor surfaces.

Outdoor allergies: 

Tree pollen: 

Trees are the first plants to produce pollen each spring. Depending on where you live, tree pollen season can start in late winter or early spring.

Grass Pollen: 

Grass pollen is released from late spring through early summer and, because grasses are so widely grown, they’re responsible for a lot of nasal allergy symptoms.

Indoor allergies: 

Dust mites: 
Extreme humidity, flooding, or other types of water damage spur black mold growth. It tends to grow on building materials like fiberboard and on paper, dust, and lint.

Wow, I'm surprised on how what you mentioned can interfere with Sleep. Thanks for your input @Odyssey13.

See you around. 

Best Answer