Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Time slept; why minus awake percentage

the total time asleep in my fitbit app is shown without the time awake during your bedtime. Why is that?  10-20% (Benchmark) awake is considered to be normal during your nights sleep. If the time awake during your night rest is not taken into account, it seems to be quite difficult to get to the needed 8 hours of sleep! 

Any input?

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

@JoostJoost wrote:

the total time asleep in my fitbit app is shown without the time awake during your bedtime. Why is that?  10-20% (Benchmark) awake is considered to be normal during your nights sleep. If the time awake during your night rest is not taken into account, it seems to be quite difficult to get to the needed 8 hours of sleep! 

Any input?

I'm going to sound like an **ahem**, but your time asleep shouldn't include time awake as they are opposites.  Otherwise it would just track time at night....

Best Answer
0 Votes

I understand but if the time awake during falling asleep and waking up is not accounted for, it is quite hard to get to 8 hours of sleep per day...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JoostJoost wrote:

I understand but if the time awake during falling asleep and waking up is not accounted for, it is quite hard to get to 8 hours of sleep per day...

Exactly correct! I plan for 9 hours in bed for sleep, and 8 hours of what I call net sleep. We commonly hear to get 8 hours of sleep per night. I can't tell if that 8 number includes awake time or not. (Some of the awake time occurs during the night).

The nice thing about sleep is we do it each day. There are lots of opportunities to track how we feel against how much sleep we get. Once we figure out how much sleep our body wants, we can use the Fitbit numbers to help keep on track. I think it's important to have a sense of our body's individual need for sleep, and then use Fitbit as a tool to track progress.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes