Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which FitBit device is good for tracking sleep

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have a fit bit version called fit bit inspire 2, I find that it does not track sleep the best - that I think it registers myself as sleeping even if I am actually not asleep and am just lying down trying to fall asleep doing nothing.

Does anyone know if there is a fit bit version that would actually track my sleep better, record the actual time I am sleeping?

I do not know much about fit bits, not used this website much. The main reason why I got the inspire two was to try to track sleep, I am going to want to try to track sleep more seriously now, does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts? Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone! It's good to see you here.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with our Fitbit devices. Let me explain that when your body is completely at rest and you haven’t moved for about an hour, your device records that you’re asleep. If your device tracks heart rate and you slept for more than 3 hours, you'll see sleep stages recorded. 

Take in mind that if your device detects excessive movement, your device will either record time spent awake or stop tracking your sleep. To learn more about how our Fitbit devices track sleep data, please see this help article.

To prevent any misunderstanding or confusion, I'm going to close this thread from further comments. Your feedback is appreciated and we'll keep working to improve our products and features to make Fitbit more useful for you.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Hi, @TimothyBourner! Unfortunately, all Fitbit devices (and really, all wrist-based devices) have the same limitation that there's a limited set of signals they can rely on to determine sleep. They're mostly looking at heart rate and motion. That's why most devices will also mistakenly think you're asleep if you're sitting really still and relaxed, too.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

Best Answer

@MakMak Thanks. You are telling me that basically all fitbit devices use heart rate motion? All fitbit devices? can you think maybe there is different device not fit bit that could track sleep instead?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm telling you that all (to the best of my knowledge) wrist-based devices track this way. Short of going to a sleep lab, that's probably the best you're going to get. There are also some apps on phones that do it based on trying to listen to your breathing, but everything is subjective. Sleep is a difficult measure.

Best Answer

The only suggestion I have is that if you know yourself how long it takes to fall asleep, you can adjust the start time of the sleep after the fact. I'm assuming you have a feeling for this, since you know the start time of the sleep is wrong.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Timothy Bourner,

I'm only seeing your question, you're probably all sorted out by now.

I have a Versa 2 Fitbit  & it shows exactly the amount of sleep you get every night, plus how long you're awake  tossing & turning, amount of your sleep is light, deep & REM & what percentage of sleep score you get & whether it's poor  fair, good or excellent.  I have Premium on my Fitbit,  maybe that makes a difference or not?. I'd be very annoyed if I didn't have those sleep readings. It also gives me trends like sleeping breathing rate,  temp while sleeping  etc. Also it shows graph of sleep & awake & also a separate graph of your nights sleep both above & below your resting heart rate.

If you get to see this, I hope it's helpful. Or I hope you got sorted sith your Fitbit phone.

Ann Fehily
Best Answer

Following this post'

[Re: Which FitBit device is good for tracking sleep - Fitbit Community]

@FehA  said "shows exactly the amount of sleep you get every night, plus how long you're awake  tossing & turning, amount of your sleep is light, deep & REM & what percentage of sleep score you get & whether it's poor  fair, good or excellent" is it true that the fit bit versa is the only fit bit that does this?

It is advertized here on fitbit website but doesn't seem to mention about details about sleep here [Fitbit Versa 2 Smartwatch | Shop]

I can show example of reading on fit bit inspire I have

It gives details such as amount of short periods of time woken up

IMG_8157.PNG"08 :32

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TimothyBourner  - I also have the Inspire 2, just got it last week.  Mine does a pretty good job of tracking sleep.  I have severe Sleep Apnea and use a CPAP device and wear a mask all night long.  Still I feel when I check my sleep it seems pretty accurate. 

One thing I wonder, I noticed somewhere in settings for Sleep, you could set Sleep Sensitivity, to either 'Normal', or 'Sensitive' , have you tried going to the Sensitive setting? 

I wonder if any others up here could comment on what that setting does for sleep tracking?

Best Answer

@MisterBrett 

I don't know what a CPAP device is

Yes I looked on the settings in the app now and see that it is in sensitive mode (but still finds that I tracks time as sleeping when just laying down trying to fall asleep)

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! It's good to see you here.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with our Fitbit devices. Let me explain that when your body is completely at rest and you haven’t moved for about an hour, your device records that you’re asleep. If your device tracks heart rate and you slept for more than 3 hours, you'll see sleep stages recorded. 

Take in mind that if your device detects excessive movement, your device will either record time spent awake or stop tracking your sleep. To learn more about how our Fitbit devices track sleep data, please see this help article.

To prevent any misunderstanding or confusion, I'm going to close this thread from further comments. Your feedback is appreciated and we'll keep working to improve our products and features to make Fitbit more useful for you.

Best Answer