Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I Don't Check Last Night's Sleep

I suspect that checking my sleep patterns from the previous night has an effect on how well-rested I feel that day. If the chart reports little deep sleep, I am really feeling it the next day.

Or am I?

Check out this blog post Placebo Sleep, which discusses how sleep and HRV data can skew our perceptions about how we feel and our performance.  I've been quite guilty of taking all the data in without checking in with my body for verification of how I REALLY am doing.

Because of this, I wait an extra day or two before checking the sleep logs. Am I the only one who gets a little worked up over REM and deep sleep?

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

This is not to say the sleep information provided by Fitbit isn't helpful. I am merely saying that our perception can be colored by short-term results.  Tracking my sleep week-to-week has been a valuable tool.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

It sure would be nice if our Fitbit DID track HRV...

As for the placebo effect - it's real. It does exist. 

As for me, I never check it because I know what time I go to bed, and what time I wake up. I also remember what time I woke up in the middle of the night because I was either thirsty or had to whiz. 

Seems like a pointless thing to look at. But, I'm sure that's just me. 

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer
0 Votes

No, you are not the only one concerned about REM and Deep Sleep. I check every morning my sleep from the night before. I am concerned about my deep sleep especially since I think it is too low. I drink a lot of coffee and do not go to bed at a certain time. I have just started to stop watching TV right before going to bed, using my mobile phone and eating too late at night. I am obsessed with my REM and deep sleep as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes