Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I get insomnia after bench press or any other kinds of chest exercise session?

Hello.

One day last summer, I was pretty tired but did my bench press session anyway. And that day I could not sleep at all. And since then, I get insomnia every time I do bench press or push-ups. (For a few weeks I had trouble sleepting early when I also do dead-lift or squats, but this got well soon.)

I'm 37 years old. And everything was fine before last summer.

It has been almost a year but still have the symptom. I tried to do the session in the morning, but didn't work.

When I do chest-exercise, I get this strange feeling of tension, the feeling that my body or my head has been alerted.

I searched on google and find out that Magnesium could help my condition. 

Can anyone explain what this is and what I can do?

And can anyone tell me whether magnesium can be of help?

FYI:

I drink one up of coffee before 2pm. I avoid drinking coffee at night because it keeps me awake.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @StephenKim - Your statement -  When I do chest-exercise, I get this strange feeling of tension, the feeling that my body or my head has been alerted -  has me concerned. I believe this is worth mentioning to your doctor. Be safe.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The only thing I can think of is that you have a spike in adrenaline, endorphins and dopamine which is all normal during exercise and what leads to the "feel good" sensation after. Here is an article that can answer other questions you may have about brain activity during exercise. If none of this helps,  a reach out to your GP is in order.  

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes