Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bruxism

any one with bruxism?

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11
Hi and welcome to fitbit!

No I haven't, fortunately, but I've heard it can be very painful, interrupt your sleep, and cause headaches and so on, so you have my sympathy if you're affected.

Dentists can supply mouth guards to help, if need be
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi!

I have bruxism but I use a plate that the dentist made me and since using that my sleep quality has improved remarkably! I no longer wake up with headaches or a stiff neck, and there is no way I can sleep without my plate now.

My sleep percentage is always around 97% using my fitbit sleep tracker, so I would say the plate definitely works. It is worth investing in one if you don't have one already!

🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have severe bruxism and bilateral TMJ, the plates don't help me much I just grind on those. I do take meds that help alot

Best Answer
0 Votes
I grind and clench an awful lot : ( I know it wakes me up a lot of nights with my jaws/ teeth paining or a stiff neck and shoulders, not to mention the headaches!
Best Answer
I have a severe bruxism and use a bite plate at night. However my jaws are sore every morning. I am taking medicines as well with little help. I have tried shiatsu in cape town a few weeks ago and felt a great relief. I have also geard of efective acupuncture but have not found anyone in nairobi yet.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I used to grind a lot, but now I mostly clench.  I went through a night guard from the dentist that lasted 4 years, but I use OTC ones now that do okay.  I find that when I am really sleeping well (and not constantly restless like I am lately) that I do not clench as much at night.  I also clench all day long and have headaches almost every day.  I have to constantly remind myself to stop! It's a pain!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Has anyone found any useful way to exercise, or specifically weight train, without clenching your jaw and then having jaw pain for all day? I've clenched my whole life and have only recently realized I need to find a whole new way of breathing while I lift.

Best Answer
0 Votes

May I ask what meds are you taking that's helping? I can't use night guards (they make it worse for me) and I've tried so much! Anything you can suggest would be fabulous.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It is almost 20 years that use a bite. I have seen an endless number of doctors and dentists. In the past I took pills that would lower the tension on my muscles. Those pills at time would help but not solving bruxism. Perhaps the placebo component of taking the pills or the drops was the most important effect.

About year ago I have tried with botulinum. Low doses of botulinum are injected on the masseter muscles. In a couple of months I have noted a result and my morning pain has almost disappeared. Not much scientific literature is available but you can search on the net and it is mentioned.
I still use my bite, I never forget to clench and grind but with I do it with lower intensity which is for me is great relief.

Best
JoeVileda
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello!

What I liked to read here is that there is some audio filter that can be trained with bruxism noise and use my phone to try to detect it. Perhaps some low-noise high-sensitivity microphone hanging over my bed would make sense. Probably I'm in a specific sleep phase, that probably the Fitbit can detect. So here we have the potential to interrupt the bruxism phase by some vibrations in the Fitbit. 

(Dito idea for the snoring ones of us;)

Where do I read from these ideas ? Is the API to Fitbit usable for this?

Now to the reasons for bruxism and some alternative was to see on it:

I have read a lot about MCAS, mast cell activation disorder. Bruxism is on the symptom list.

It is related to histamine intolerance, but stems from mast cells that are way to sensitive (to heat, cold, vibration/scratching on the skin, to all kinds of chemicals to skin or stomach, to a lot of medicine that releases histamine or is related to histamine or other mast cell expressed messenger substances. But depending on age and severity, only some of the long list of symptoms may occur. The longer the symptoms are known, the more severely they get for MCAS and the more organs are involved. (Childhood: bowel symptoms, sometimes only bad after parties (to much sweets, to much histamine or Theorin in chocolate), youth: lung, skin; later: arthritic symptoms, tinnistus, bruxism, heart stutters, bad headaches, neurologic symptoms of AHD, Autism or schizophrenia, etc...)

Use the list of borrelia b. based Lyme disease, and you have the picture. But: MCAS have 5-10% of the population. Nearly 0% now it. (Lyme D.: 0,03%)

One symptom is high muscular tones, leading to symptoms of fibromyalgia, and in this vicinity also to bruxism.

By the way, high tension in the neck under the ear often produces tinnitus, because some 1/3 of population has a vital part of inner ear blood circulation by arteries leading between the neck muscles.

Therefore that is remedied by massage of the neck and vibrating massage of the ear canal by keeping the ear closed with a finger on the tragus and pumping gently inward. And by manual therapy and Craniosacral methods of balancing our large bowl on the neck a-new.

Diagnostic therapy:

Leave out all mast cell activating substances, like any alcohol even in small amounts (therefore low-carb  anti-yeast diet, since yeast produce alc inside you as well), iodine in salt, folic acid in vitamins and supplements (widely spread to donate some folic acid here and there...)

Try Levoceterizine 2-4/d for a month. Combine with antioxidants like Vitamin C (retard or depot, since you should take 0,5-1,5g/d, to protect your teeth and bowel mucosa).

Also try all mast cell taming things like curcumine, thyme, tryptophane, cumin oil, etc.. 

Therefore also try to clean up your bowel, i.e.: bind toxics and feed the right bacteria, Lactobacillae and Bifidae. This is most effectively done by praebiotics named galctooligosaccharides, as I found here: Wolz Curabiom baby:

https://www.wolz.de/produkte/darmgesund-fuer-eine-gesunde-darmfunktion/curabiomr-baby/

(It's a google translate link above the link of the original link of the manufacturer. They also produce good probiotics, that helped me to get my immune system fit against infections, but not to alter my biome in my bowels, very inert to change. So I have to live with the beasts I was given between birth and 1yr old, where the biome stabilizes, minus all I have lost due to antibiotics that often eradicate one or other stem from your biome. I always ask myself: if I really have to take antibiotics, why not freeze in some sample of my biome? Perhaps to cheap a remedy...)

If symptoms get slightly better, investigate further. It's a detective's game! Never give up. You have the right to be well and feel good! 😉

Of course you have to do the list of differential diagnosis for MCAS to exclude any problem leading to the same symptoms, to find a more ground based diagnosis and based on this profound therapy.

Most important is to find out what you do not tolerate, any allergies, especially food allergies, second food intolerances. This may change if your balance is re-gained, so try out some years later.

But to sum it up: lend some wisdom from the really old therapeutic systems, as you like, choose TCM or Ayurveda, and change your epigenetic program, e.g.  by meditation. I think in TCM you could search for kidney energy build-up treatment.

A more scientific approach was given by Pruimboom: Wirkkochbuch in his Literature List, if interested, pm me. But the scientist investigating MCAS also draw conclusions in the direction of epegenetics.

Eg. search for Prof. Molderings & epigenetic.

For the spiritually inclined lending towards belief in a higher being, I found some analogies on the way relief of sins is discussed e.g. in the bible. While zapping I sometimes listen to pastor Joseph Prince from newcreationchurch.org and find his preaching somehow, on a high level, related to my search for cures for MCAS. Don't be fixated to one way of thinking here. Sometimes I stand upon one leg (The Tree in yoga) and pray a father in heaven. This gave me some aha-effect not only once. 

Good luck!

Andi

Best Answer
0 Votes

I recommend trying acupuncture and jade rolling to loosen the muscles. Meditation helps too! Try the relaxed breathing app with Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes