Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

resting heart rate chart now higher after sleep stages update

Fitbit charge 2

My RHR chart used to slow a normal variation between 48 and 53.  After the sleep stages update it has almost flatlined between 51 and 52.  This doesn't seem to match up with the Beats per minute chart like it used to.   (Many values are less that 50.)   It seems stuck on the dashboard icon at 52 BPM. 

I haven't seen anyone else mention this.  Does the update calculate RHR differently?  It's not the same as it was.

David

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

My RHR is also higher that it has been for extended periods of time.  Used to be right around 50-52, now suddenly it's between 54-56.  I'm beginning to lose faith in fitbit projections.  They've also screwed up sleep times. 

Best Answer
I kept checking to see if anyone else had the same RHR issues. You were the
first to respond. Thanks for responding.

The new pattern seems to be a completely different algorythm and, like you,
a narrower range several points higher than before the update.

They better get their arms around this feature quickly and not screw up
working features. Very disappointing rollout.

--
David
Best Answer

RHR still different than before Sleep Stage updates.  You can see the 51-52 flatline when starting in the middle of the chart.   Is this correct?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dartman Your screenshot seems to be broken, can you try adding it once again. In addition to that, I suggest checking if it's the same on your online Dashboard at Fitbit.com. The tile looks like mine does below.

Thanks for taking the time to check that out and resend the screenshot. I appreciate your willingness to help.

@OldBob3301 It's normal for your resting heart rate to change. You can see what factors may affect your heart rate in this help article.

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 1.46.32 PM.png

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

ErickFitbit

Displaying RHR-chart-0412.jpg

The charts are similiar but the Desktop chart looks more like a real chart with variable data points (even though the points are a bit higher).  The IOS chart looks strange.

The reason I even mentioned it was on 3/26 when sleep stages first arrived, I noticed my RHR increased from a range of 48 to 53 into this flatline 51-52 for the next 2 weeks.    The latest update (2 days ago)  caused it to bump up to 53-55 again.  The last 2 bars are the last 2 days after the new update.   It seemed to me that something occurred with the RHR calc exactly when the new Sleep stages were added and then again with the new update.

Is RHR being calculated differently?

Hope this was helpful.

David

Best Answer

Hi David,

same here. My RHR was always between 50 and 54. Now its 58, since the introduction of sleep stages. 

I wonder if this will be corrected in the next update?

Annette

Best Answer

Eric Fitbit.  I do realize that resting heart rate can change based on quite a number of conditions.  I do think, however, that when changes occur coincident with changes/updates to your program that the accuracy of your estimates are suspicious.  In my case my RHR has been relatively consistent for well over a year, with the exception of one short illness.  And, based on my own comparison of my exercise heart rate graphs with those from my Polar Chest Strap device, fitbit heart rate data is often just plain wrong.

Best Answer
0 Votes

For me it seems to have increased as well, but it is hard to pin point as I also struggle with anxiety and had a few attacks that coincided with the data. However, the RHR does not seem to come down to the level it used to and today it even spiked while feeling really good and the graph also showing lower RHR, yet the number given is higher than I expect. I did not receive the new sleep stages yet, but I wonder if it is related to the new firmware update.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

My two cents: Since 26/3, my RHR has gone from 61, going through ups and downs to 65 and back down to 59 today. It's pretty spot on compared to before, but I tend to have slow fluctuations which have previously gone as high as the low 70's and low as the mid 50's.

@OldBob3301It's a bit hard to compare the Fitbit to a chest strap since they use different technology for picking up your heart rate, but both of them are still based on algorithms that convert what they read into estimated heart rate.
A chest strap will generally be more accurate because a) it's closer to your actual heart and b) it will try to pick up on every heart beat through electrical signals, while a wrist based monitor (like Fitbit) will read blood flow (further from your heart) and does so through optical heart rate sensors that illuminates your skin and picks up on changes in light absorbtion. Both devices can also be less accurate if they're not sitting tight enough.

As far as I know, Fitbit doesn't collect data as frequently as chest straps, making it less accurate than a chest strap during workouts with varied intensity like HIIT.

While they may have changed the algorithm to calculate RHR (I don't know if they have), who's to say this isn't more correct than the previous?

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Oldbob

You make a good point about there being a change after software updates.  I was trying to establish IF it changed without any judgement about which was right.  It's possible they improved the accuracy.   I noticed it because the chart changed precisely when the software changed at least in my case.  Twice.  That's why I asked the question.  

I don't have a second source for RHR. To compare them. 

David

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been searching and searching to see if anyone else has experienced this after the past two updates. My RHR has increased a few beats , but nothing has changed. I know RHR changes for certain reasons..... but nothing is any different than before. It was truly freaking me out, thinking something was wrong with me. I am sorry we are experiencing this, but glad it is not just me. I have the Blaze

Best Answer