Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Surge - Is Fitbit Surge being discontinued?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I was told by a salesperson at Best Buy that the Surge was being discontinued and not ordered by them anymore. Is this true?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject.

Best Answer
116 REPLIES 116
Surge

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Too bad they discontinued, it was a great product. However, there's a good amount of Surges on eBay. Good values available too. Suggest you get one there, and wait six-12 months before dropping three hundred on an Ionic. First release will be buggy, bet on it.  

Best Answer

@bheggie, while I agree the Surge had a great many noteworthy attributes, it was also plagued by some significant issues as well (poor strap lifespan and lack of water resistance being two which I got hit with).  The good news here is the Fitbit company appears to have learned from the Surge; the new Ionic (https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/bd-p/ionic), which is effectively a Surge on steroids, is a Smartwatch with all of the very best features of the Surge, as well as a replaceable band and an ability to withstand being used while swimming (so being strapped to my sweaty wrist shouldn't be an issue).

Best Answer

Thanks. Agree about the wristband - mine separated from the watch body after about a year; when I emailed about a repair, however, FitBit happily replaced the whole watch. Impressive. I've been using that one for more than a year. No complaints. We'll see about the Ionic!

Best Answer

I'm thinking of why should I get the Ionic, when for $30 more I can get a much better smart watch from Apple via the new Series 3 (w/o cellular connectivity) or for $50 less get the older Series 1 Apple Smartwatch?

Competition is fierce and Fitbit's Ionic is being squeezed, not just by Apple but from Garmin as well as Chinese vendors. 

The problem is that Fitbit's management has been sitting on their laurels with the Surge for so many years that competition has now passed them by - in terms of features and quality. The Ionic should have came out last year and it would have done well.

Apart from Fitbit fan boys/gals who will get the Ionic, most will sensibly be looking at what the competition has to offer and comparing features to suite their personal use. I'm looking at the Garmin Vivoactive 3 as a direct competitor to Ionic.

Best Answer

Then why this product is not appearing on the official site anymore.

Best Answer

@AG108 wrote:

Then why this product is not appearing on the official site anymore.

Because, as suggested by the title of this thread, the product has been discontinued.

Best Answer

Hey guys! Thanks a million for your comments and for keeping us posted about what is the information that you're getting about Fitbit Surge! Smiley Happy

As you may know there are a lot of rumors about this tracker, but Fitbit still has the cart open for Fitbit Surge in the Fitbit.com Store and it's still on the options to get support. In the future if you want to get more information about what is going on with Fitbit products you can visit our official page "See What's New".  Woman Wink

I'll be around in case you need anything else!

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

@YojanaFitbit wrote:

Hey guys! Thanks a million for your comments and for keep us posted about what is the information that you're getting about Fitbit Surge! Smiley Happy

As you may know there are a lot of rumors about this tracker, but Fitbit still has the cart open for Fitbit Surge in the Fitbit.com Store and it's still on the options to get support. In the future if you want to get more information about what is going on with Fitbit products you can visit our official page "See What's New".  Woman Wink

I'll be around in case you need anything else!

Hey Yojana, you might want to take a closer look at the open cart for the Surge; all they are offering are Black or Tangerine colors in the small size.  Fitbit sold out of the Large and Extra Large sizes over a month ago and are simply selling down the few remaining small sizes in inventory.

Long story short, the Surge has been discontinued.

Best Answer

Hey, everyone!

We're always working to streamline our offerings as we introduce new products. Although it has been a very popular product for us, we will soon stop selling Fitbit Surge. 

As mentioned already in this thread, inventory on Surge sizes and colors is now limited. If you're looking for a new device, we recommend considering Ionic. You can learn more about the rest of the Fitbit family of products at our comparison page

Please note that we’ll continue to support Surge from a software standpoint, along with any questions you might have during your use of the product. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope we can continue to provide you with Fitbit devices you love and help you reach your goals.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

@AlessFitbit, thank you for clearing that up.  🙂

Best Answer

What a bunch of garbage. I bought a Surge in February of this year. The price wasn't cheap but the product sure was. Within 3 months it was literally falling apart. After an absolutely horrendous experience with FitBit "support" or "customer service" which included weeks of back-and-forth, their only offered solution was to send me another Surge, which I did not want. The folks at FitBit were so unreasonable and one-dimensional that they wouldn't even replace it with a LESSER priced device, which would have been satisfactory to me! Now that the Surge has been quickly discontinued, I see why they wanted to solve the problem by sending me another junky Surge, and they lost a loyal customer in the process. 

I had the exact same experience with the Surge after 3 months! See my post below. I even offered to take a lower priced device to satisfy my issue. When they offered the "50%" option, my repeated question was "why would I pay more money after my $200 device fell apart after less than 100 days?"  Very, very poor customer service but I now see why they were insistent on unloading another Surge on me -- because it's been discontinued!

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer

Hi @TM3, I'm glad to see you here in the Forums, your comments are very important for us!

Sorry about the issues you were having with your Fitbit. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on what you share here. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

AlessFitbit wrote:

Please note that we’ll continue to support Surge from a software standpoint.

Does this actually mean anything or is it just ”pretty words”??

Because we are many users that are tired of the lack of updates for Surge and are feeling that the Surge are being left for dead now when the Ionic is released!

Examples:

- iPhone users have been promised for over 2 years that a solution are near when it comes to Surge being able to recieve whatsapp messages, still nothing!

- A simple update as new clock faces have been long desired, still nothing!

Please explain how the above is ”we’ll continue to support Surge from a software standpoint”!! Because myself and (from what I can see from this forum) many others are fed up with the lack of updates for the Surge regarding things that other brands can do! If not, Apple watch here I come!

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer

as with most companies when the new product arrives on the scene older models are forgotten. Fitbit are no exception, the new ionic looks up to now to have all the wanted features we would have liked in the surge.

Hey ho either buy the new Ionic or make do with the old ones. Personally I will wait until mine brakes.

Just seen the price $299 WOW, surely fitbit are entering the realms of the Apple watch. A tad expensive

Just trudging along
Best Answer

All the folks at FitBit do is attempt to placate with "pretty words" -- they don't respond to their customers' complaints or concerns with any substance. 

As for the Apple Watch, I'm already there. No more FitBit for me after being a loyal customer for several years. 

Note: they'll probably have someone send me yet another patronizing, fluff message shortly after I post this, and/or edit my post. 

Best Answer

That's really disappointing! 

I have literally returned my Surge this morning to the retailer as the heart rate monitor had stopped functioning, and now I won't be able to replace it like I was hoping like-for-like. 

The Ionic is so much more expensive (twice as much), yet nothing else gives the GPS tracking as a stand alone, unless you have your mobile phone with you too. Very disappointed. 😔

Best Answer

@Springer79 wrote:

That's really disappointing! 

I have literally returned my Surge this morning to the retailer as the heart rate monitor had stopped functioning, and now I won't be able to replace it like I was hoping like-for-like. 

The Ionic is so much more expensive (twice as much), yet nothing else gives the GPS tracking as a stand alone, unless you have your mobile phone with you too. Very disappointed. 😔

Twice as expensive?  Hmmm, if I remember correctly, I paid $250 for my Surge, I paid $299 for my Ionic.

Best Answer

That’s a pity, I paid £157 for my Surge and the Ionic is being sold at £299 - 

I guess that’s not quite twice as much is it? 

Best Answer

@Springer79 wrote:

That’s a pity, I paid £157 for my Surge and the Ionic is being sold at £299 - 

I guess that’s not quite twice as much is it? 

I take it you bought your Surge relatively recently, recently as in after they started dropping the price to clear remaining inventory.  Yes, no?

Best Answer