Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Surge - Is Fitbit Surge being discontinued?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I was told by a salesperson at Best Buy that the Surge was being discontinued and not ordered by them anymore. Is this true?

Moderator edit: Clarified subject.

Best Answer
116 REPLIES 116

@Springer79 wrote:

That's really disappointing! 

I have literally returned my Surge this morning to the retailer as the heart rate monitor had stopped functioning, and now I won't be able to replace it like I was hoping like-for-like. 

The Ionic is so much more expensive (twice as much), yet nothing else gives the GPS tracking as a stand alone, unless you have your mobile phone with you too. Very disappointed. 😔

I think I've said this before and but the issue to me is that the Ionic isn't a straight replacement for the Surge. Maybe it's a peculiarity of how I use Fitbit but most of the time I wear a step tracker (first Flex, then Charge HR) and only put on my GPS tracker when I go out for a run or bike ride. I wouldn't dream of wearing a Surge 24/7. It seems to me that the Ionic is clearly meant to take on the smart watch market and be worn all the time.

I guess I'm fortunate in that my Surge is still working fine. Hopefully it will live long enough for Fitbit to slip another model in the range with GPS that works for me as a sports tracker.  I'm not grumpy. I don't dislike the Ionic. I just don't need it. 

Anyway, I'll try not to comment again on this thread as I'll just be repeating myself.

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer

@Higs456 wrote:

I think I've said this before and but the issue to me is that the Ionic isn't a straight replacement for the Surge. Maybe it's a peculiarity of how I use Fitbit but most of the time I wear a step tracker (first Flex, then Charge HR) and only put on my GPS tracker when I go out for a run or bike ride. I wouldn't dream of wearing a Surge 24/7. It seems to me that the Ionic is clearly meant to take on the smart watch market and be worn all the time.

Hmmm, why wouldn't you wear the Surge 24/7; I've been wearing mine for two and a half years that way.

Best Answer

why wouldn't you wear the Surge 24/7; I've been wearing mine for two and a half years that way.

Simply because I have a nice collection of mechanical watches that I wear on my left wrist with a step tracker on my right. When I go out for a run the Surge goes on my left wrist and my Charge HR goes on charge. 

I'm not target market for a smart watch but hope Fitbit bring back a GPS sports tracker to their range.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Higs456 wrote:

Simply because I have a nice collection of mechanical watches that I wear on my left wrist with a step tracker on my right. When I go out for a run the Surge goes on my left wrist and my Charge HR goes on charge. 

I'm not target market for a smart watch but hope Fitbit bring back a GPS sports tracker to their range.

I wear a nice mechanical watch on my right wrist (when I'm not running or sleeping), my Fitbit goes on my left wrist and stays there except when charging or when I'm in the pool or showering.

Best Answer

My husband has had 2 Surges, both fell apart. The Surge  should have been replaced a long time ago. Fitbit so far isn't standing by their product. They offered us 25% off on another Tracker. After 2 of their Surge Trackers didn't even make it past 1.5 years. He doesn't even wear his every day.....go figure!

Best Answer

I've had 3 Surges now, just a disaster. It was a lemon of a device from the start, poorly designed, badly made and not fit for purpose. Fitbit's failure to stand by its product is disgraceful and demonstrates a poor culture.  I actually liked the product when it worked but it is just too much hassle dealing with all the problems reported repeatedly on here. They won't see another cent of my money. 

Best Answer

Just had the same 50% off lesser function Fitbit product vs the Surge. Having paid £200 yes £ for the Surge which was originally sold as swim proof - this was rescinded after purchase. I then encounter bubbling watch straps, every 4 months the same story and the replacement has the same fault.. Customer services womt or cant extend 50% off to Ionic but why should I pay for a lesser product .. looks like another Surge for 3 months anyway - not happy and definitely not a great product - customer services must be a nightmare as I’m clearly not alone

Best Answer

@GerryMacY666 wrote:

Just had the same 50% off lesser function Fitbit product vs the Surge. Having paid £200 yes £ for the Surge which was originally sold as swim proof - this was rescinded after purchase. I then encounter bubbling watch straps, every 4 months the same story and the replacement has the same fault.. Customer services womt or cant extend 50% off to Ionic but why should I pay for a lesser product .. looks like another Surge for 3 months anyway - not happy and definitely not a great product - customer services must be a nightmare as I’m clearly not alone

Who marketed it as "swim proof"?  I bought my Surge back in early 2015 and at that time Fitbit was clearly saying the tracker was not swim proof; only that it was water resistant for things like rain and sweat (which turned out to be untrue).

Best Answer

I pre ordered the Surge

original spec and fairly sure the app had swim available 

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gadgets/fitbit-surge-1270574/review/4

The articles Still has the waterprooof review comments.

“Fitbit Surge is as waterproof as a smartwatch gets by matching the Pebble Time and Pebble Time Steel, according to the official specs. It's listed at 5ATM, okay for a depth of 50 meters or 164 feet.”

it also comments on the confusing statement RE splash and shower proof

i never tried the function, had hoped to swim and surf with it and measure the calories burnt ..

Best Answer

@GerryMacY666 wrote:

I pre ordered the Surge

original spec and fairly sure the app had swim available 

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gadgets/fitbit-surge-1270574/review/4

The articles Still has the waterprooof review comments.

“Fitbit Surge is as waterproof as a smartwatch gets by matching the Pebble Time and Pebble Time Steel, according to the official specs. It's listed at 5ATM, okay for a depth of 50 meters or 164 feet.”

50 meters is 6 ATM absolute, 5 ATM relative

never believe a vendor !

my Surge has its original band since 2 years

better after i glued it after 6 months

Best Answer

From Original Specs isn’t a vendior ?

Im glad your happy to use adhesive to repair your Fitbit. I don’t believe at the price point I should have to. If this was a permanent solution why didn’t Fitbit change their assembly process?

the bubbling of the band results in permanent deformation of the band - this “slack” would need filled or removed - if Fitbit accept this repair then provide a replacement band and adhesive !

just my opinion it’s unacceptable

Best Answer

Hi, @Higs456, the Ionic can be used exactly as you currently use your Surge -- worn for when you want a GPS tracker.  That's mostly how I wear my Ionic (and how I used to wear the Surge).  

I have found that I wear my Ionic more than I used to wear my Surge.  At first I only wore it when running or hiking, but I find that it is so much more comfortable (ligher and more flexible) than the Surge, that I find I wear it more and more...  To me it is a great upgrade on the Surge.  I only miss the always on screen (though it is nice to have always on option for workouts, running, etc.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

I have had exactly the same problem, its not fit for the purpose it is supposed to be used for.  I am currently waiting on my fourth (3rd replacement in two years) Surge. The only thing I am sure of is that I will have the same problems with this new one.

Best Answer

I was bought a Surge for Christmas 2017.  After 14 months the strap delaminated around the screws and started to fall apart.  I received a replacement.  A few days ago ( inside U.K. Warranty) the battery died, won't recharge and has become a paperweight.  The Battery isn't a serviceable item.

I'm now being offered a replacement in either extra large or small.  It looks like the Surge has finally been discontinued after its well publicised issues.  "We would like to share with you that we just run out of the Surge black large from our inventory, and we don't have an estimated time frame when it's coming back."  

The other sizes are unsuitable.   The Surge wasn't a cheap purchase at the time, has clearly had problems, should last a number of years before failing and is unfit for purpose.  The option to buy an alternative Fitbit model at 25% discount is a disgrace.  I wait to hear what the company's next reply is.

Fitbit have now contradicted their earlier statement and now confirmed that the Surge has been discontinued. "We would like to let you know that the Surge is an end of life tracker which means that we have ended its manufacturing in order to keep our product line focused. We do apologize for any inconvenience caused"

i offered to try a replacement in the small size to see if it would fit me (unlikely but I'd give it a try) and they advised that the only colour available now was Tangerine, which I refused.  Lurid colour and it potentially won't fit me.

Fitbit still want me to pay 50% towards an alternative Tracker or subject myself to "A 50% discount of the Fitbit Surge's price toward the purchasing of a Fitbit Ionic charcoal."

As a customer service exercise they are shooting themselves in the foot with this. The Surge wasn't a cheap product to buy and the original and it's replacement lasted less than a year each under warranty.  They claim a replacement isn't available and want me to part pay towards another model.    I'll be taking this to the UK Small Claims Court if a replacement Surge isn't supplied or I'm upgraded to its replacement.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

I have had a replacement surge within the first year after much arguing with the person on the phone.  It too has a cracked screen and the band just fell apart with normal use.  I doubt I will ever buy another fitbit after this experience.  It's a shame as I did like it before it fell apart.  For them to discontinue it while other lesser models are still offered would imply they are aware of the issues and don't feel it necessary to fully compensate you for it.  In the car business there is a lemon law to protect you from things like this.  We shouldn't have to pay a partial price for a replacement device when it obviously was cheaply made.

Best Answer

In the UK legal system there's a pragmatic view regarding the product and it's purchase price.  If a £4.99 gizmo fails after a year, it's best chalked up to experience since the expectation of something cheap is fairly low.   Something around the cost of a Surge, implies that it is be a quality product, last longer and it's longevity isn't restricted to its warranty period.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @BusheyTrader, it is difficult to evaluate your issue, since you say you received your Surge as a gift for Christmas 2017. which hasn't yet happened...

However, assuming you meant Christmas 2016. I would suggest getting back in touch with Customer Service and simply being polite, but very firm, and taking it to a higher level if necessary. I don't think you will need to resort to small claims court! Under EEA regulations (who knows what will happen after Brexit, but that is another story...) if your Fitbit fails in less than 2 years, then you have to be offered an equivalent replacement, or a refund. I am not a lawyer. but I suspect that if they cannot offer you a replacement (and the wrong size in the wrong colour probably doesn't count), then it is up to them to decide whether to offer you the nearest equivalent device FOC (which is clearly the Ionic) or to refund you the original purchase price.

I would respectfully suggest that you are incorrect about your statement that its "longevity isn't restricted to its warranty period.". The EEA regulations specifically require a 24 month warranty period, which Fitbit has agreed to when selling its products within the European Economic Area -- that warranty agreement is actually twice as long as most of the rest of the world (what did Europe ever do for us?...). I expect that if your Surge failed in 25 months you wouldn't get very far. But if you got it for Christmas last year you will still be covered.

Best Answer

Hi Julia G,

yes it it is my error, the Surge was bought for me and registered on Christmas 2015, The Surge was replaced under warranty earlier this year due to the integrated strap falling apart, now the replacement's battery has failed within the original two year warranty.

I have been fair but firm with the customer service department over many emails.  They want to replace the Surge in an unsuitable size, now only available in yellow, or make me part pay for alternative tracker.  I have refused.  The ball is in their court............

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BusheyTrader, If your Fitbit was purchased in December 2015 you are coming very close to the end of even the extended European warranty period (which, as I mentioned, is twice the rest of the world), so I would think you should be pretty proactive with your claim.  Even though the ball is in their court, if I were you, I would still worry about keeping it in play,  At this late point, I can see why Fitbit, having already replaced your device once, might be reluctant to offer more than a 50 % discunt on a new, uograded device.

Best Answer

Terrible approach to 'customer service'. Fitbit having their 'Kodak' moment I suspect. Time to switch to the Garmin. 

Best Answer