Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit "smartwatch" wishlist (to replace Fitbit Surge)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

For about the last 18 months, I've been a Fitbit Surge user. Unfortunately, I've had a few issues with the unit's build quality and the accuracy and reliability of the GPS. On the plus side, Fitbit's support team has been fantastic and I like the platform/app and community.

I'm looking to upgrade (the Surge was released in 2014) and I'd like a tracker / sports watch with additional functionality, especially since I'm finding myself taking part in longer leisure and sporting events.

I've decided to wait to see what the much-anticipated Fitbit "smartwatch", rumoured to be debuting later this year, will offer before making a decision on whether to stay with Fitbit.

My wish list, in addition to what the Surge already offers, would include the following:

- highly accurate / reliable GPS

- longer GPS battery life (24 hours would be ideal) - for full-day cycling trips, hikes, and longer sports events (e.g. ultra-marathons)

- full waterproofing

- a swim function (open water with GPS and indoor pool)

- biathlon and triathlon functions

- the ability to pair with a chest strap for HR monitoring, especially when swimming

- swappable straps / bands

- contactless payments

- offline music with popular streaming services - I use Spotify with bluetooth headphones

- offline maps with voice navigation

- a voice recorder - for reminders, ideas, etc. when out running and cycling

I'm less interested in email/text/etc. notifications and apps.

What would your wish list look like?

Fenix 5 Plus. Previously Ionic and Surge. Google Pixels 3 and 5. Aria. Chromebook. Deezer and Audible.
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

So, the Ionic is here (or almost) and looks like it'll tick many of my boxes: https://www.fitbit.com/de/ionic

Quite a bit more expensive in EU than US, but that might be due to taxes and other costs.

Looking forward to learning more about the unit!

Fenix 5 Plus. Previously Ionic and Surge. Google Pixels 3 and 5. Aria. Chromebook. Deezer and Audible.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

My wish list.DURABILITY,  RELIABILITY and HIGH QUALITY materials and workmanship. Replaceable bands and battery. Industry standard micro USB connection. That it does what the manufacturer says it does without glitches, problems, defects, issues, or conditions. Example: water resistant but don't get it wet. I don't want to have to "Restart 3 times in a row" or jump up and down while turning ccw (on Tuesday) just so the thing will sync, or swipe. I could go on but I'm calmed down now. Again. The Surge concept for me is a 10 but its implementation for me is a 0. I'm hopeful but practical (as well as cynical, and pessimistic). Welcome to my world.

Fixed wing aircraft (F-4J, F-4S), Fighter Squadrons: VF-171, VF-31, VF-103.
Best Answer

So, the Ionic is here (or almost) and looks like it'll tick many of my boxes: https://www.fitbit.com/de/ionic

Quite a bit more expensive in EU than US, but that might be due to taxes and other costs.

Looking forward to learning more about the unit!

Best Answer
0 Votes