Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Surge feedback

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My fitbit surge has bubbles in the strap just under the face.  No, it hasn't been on a hot surface.

What's up with this?  What's the remedy?

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Best Answer
97 REPLIES 97

My fitbit surge also has bubbles in the strap.  This is my second one in less than 12 months, the first one did exactly the same.  I got a replacement to the first one straight away and presume I will have to try and do the same here.  I am like others on this forum, using it diligently, never getting it wet unless its sweat!  I clean it as per the instructions, in fact with this second one I have been even more careful (if that's possible) and yet exactly the same thing is happening.  Very disappointed as I love my fitbit, I love the ease with which it syncs and its usability but unless I get a replacement I shall not be returning to fit bit as there is clearly a design fault on these straps.  Very disappointing.

Best Answer

I'm on my second Surge. The strap disintegrated on the first strap but credit where credit is due, Fitbit replaced it without question, all I had to do is provide my proof of purchase. So I personally can't fault their customer service.

What did upset me was I was told to throw the old one away or take it to a recycling centre. What a waste of 200 quids worth of perfectly good, fully working, 21st-century technology for the sake of a strap.

I was advised not to use or trust third party accessories but what's the worst that could happen? Strap break? Lose the watch? The strap had already broken and I'd been told to throw the watch away. So I bought a new strap off of a well know internet auction site for a fiver, took two weeks to be delivered, took ten minutes to replace it and I now have a perfect working spare should it happen again. 

Best Answer

@Tony-B wrote:

What did upset me was I was told to throw the old one away or take it to a recycling centre. What a waste of 200 quids worth of perfectly good, fully working, 21st-century technology for the sake of a strap.

I was advised not to use or trust third party accessories but what's the worst that could happen? 

This is the product support philosophy of Fitbit. Deny that there is a design defect in the Surge by denying that there is a perfectly economical and reasonable fix for said defect. If they acknowledge that the Surge can be made functional again by replacing a cheap part then they would need to answer to why they haven't made the part available themselves. It's no wonder their stock price has dropped to less than 1/3 of the 52 week high.

Best Answer

I have had my Surge for about 8 months. Same problem as has been described above.

Not good considering the money spent!

Best Answer

Yep my strap went Bubbley both sides of the face, then total de- laminated to over a centimetre either side of the face. Shockingly bad quality reaction to nothing as I'm not aware it got wet or came into contact with antthing that would have that result. I have AF and use it the keep an eye on my heart rate when I'm out and about amounts to there things . I'm really disappionted. I left a message for help and have had none. Having red all the posts on delaminates straps And bubbling you'd expect a company to do a recall or at least replace the faulty ones. It's not as if we can buy a new strap

Best Answer

Yep this is exactly what mine did, only its continued to bubble and delaminates back about a centre ether and a half either side of the face now

Best Answer

This has been a problem it seems on all Fitbits - it did it my first one - they sent a replacement since it was in warranty and now the replacement has the same problem after about 6 months.  I was hoping they had it fixed by now especially on a premium product like the surge.

Best Answer

I am on my second Surge in a year with the same bubbling issue.  The first time, after the bubble appeared, the watch wouldn't hold a charge, so FitBit replaced it. I dont know if it was related or not. Like the others, my watch was not exposed to any heat or came in contact with andy liquids, nor has it be smacked against any hard surfaces. Like some of the others are saying, it seems a waste to throw a watch that is in working order. So far, mine is still holding a charge, however, will that last long?

Best Answer

@TonyPCMan If the band goes before the battery dies, Amazon has aftermarket replacement bands and YouTube has "how to" videos. I would watch the video first to see if it's something you or a friend are willing to undertake (if it comes to that). Just a thought.

Fixed wing aircraft (F-4J, F-4S), Fighter Squadrons: VF-171, VF-31, VF-103.
Best Answer
I appreciate the info. The frustrating thing is, FitBit knows it is an issue, and appears to be doing nothing to correct it.  Just replacing the watch (only if it is in warranty), is not fixing the problem. As a consumer, I shouldn't have to invest time and money to fix their problem. They are either going to lose money when people stop buying their products, or someone is going to launch a class-action against them. Companies are stupid if they let it get to that point. They should do the right thing, and not wait until they are sued or the government makes them fix it. This will not only cost them more money, it hurts the consumers in the long run.

| | Virus-free. www.avg.com |
Best Answer
I appreciate the info. The frustrating thing is, FitBit knows it is an issue, and appears to be doing nothing to correct it.  Just replacing the watch (only if it is in warranty), is not fixing the problem. As a consumer, I shouldn't have to invest time and money to fix their problem. They are either going to lose money when people stop buying their products, or someone is going to launch a class-action against them. Companies are stupid if they let it get to that point. They should do the right thing, and not wait until they are sued or the government makes them fix it. This will not only cost them more money, it hurts the consumers in the long run.

Best Answer

Mine has exactly the same problem - at first I thought mine was an isolated case but looking here it appears to be a common problem.

I really can't understand why Fitbit can't specify a band that is fit for purpose as this is the second model that I have owned where the band has failed - the electronic part has been great even after accidentally going through the washing machine.

I have now come to the point where I think it is better to change to another manufacturer although I am reluctant to leave because I am happy with the product and the web site and it is such a pity to have to change because of a poor band.

Best Answer
You are saying exactly what I am thinking. Im on my third in a year. Fitbit have always been brilliant and sent a replacement but for how long? Definitely a design fault and I suspect when they upgrade this will be rectified. But it's such a lot of money for something that doesn't last.,..
may consider another make next time and do more research next time too!

Kerry Harmer
Sent from my iPhone 🙂
Best Answer

@Ace170@fireman999. If the Surge is still functional and the strap is the only issue, Amazon has aftermarket replacement bands and YouTube has "how to" videos. I would watch the video first to see if it's something you or a friend are willing to undertake (if it comes to that). Just a thought for keeping an otherwise good unit useable.

Fixed wing aircraft (F-4J, F-4S), Fighter Squadrons: VF-171, VF-31, VF-103.
Best Answer
Ooh thanks I will do! Breaks my heart to lose the still in tact watch bit.
Thank you for taking the time to message me.
Kerry

Kerry Harmer
Sent from my iPhone 🙂
Best Answer
I am not spending time and money to replace parts on a watch that I have had less than a year because they are making an inferior product.

Best Answer
I've had 4 Replacements.. I had previously a Fitbit Charge and a fitbit alta.. All Failed before 12 months.. but 4 Surge's & this last one was repalced just out of warranty.. now about 3 months later.. it's bubbling again.. I for one wont be buying another fitbit & I'll steer everyone I know towards a product like Garmin..
Best Answer
I am on my third Surge in 12+ months. I dont understand why they dont correct the bands from bubbling. Perhaps to them it is cheaper just to replace it than to fix it.
When I got my third replacement, they wanted me to upgrade. Why would I pay more and still have the same problem?
Best Answer

I had my surge replaced FIVE times due to bubbles. Every time I called, the FitBit employee would say "This is the first I have heard of this." They were extremely nice and 5 days later or so, new Surge.

5 times for a $250 (the price I paid) in a year. 6 Surges in total. About 1 month out of warranty, it bubble again and has been sitting here for over a year. $250 down the tubes I was thinking.

TO THE INTERNETS!

I found a Y o u t u b e video on how to replace it. I found a replacement on a website named after a river in South America for less than $14. I replaced the band in about 10 minutes.

Let me say, my Surge NEVER failed me (all 6 of them). They work perfectly and Fitbit support always was pleasant to work with. Great actually. The hardware is fantastic, the band, not so much. A device that cost $250 should have a band you can replace easily, and it looks like FitBit is going that route. I would also like to say, I was in no way hard on my Fitbit, I have a very bad knee and didn't do any sports other than walking around and never hit it, dropped it, put it in water or headbanged with it on my wrist.

Peace to all,

BEP

Best Answer
For the agent to state that it was the first time they ever heard of the issue, is either a blatant lie, or they are fairly new. I don't know how FITBIT can stay in business replacing all of those watches. I am on #3.  I really like my watch, but it is a pain to keep changing it.

Best Answer