Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inside screen cracked Surge

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Inside screen crackedInside screen cracked

Obviously the screen swipe no longer works. Fitbit is only 16 months old 😞 not sure how to proceed.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject.

Best Answer
29 REPLIES 29

Looks like you dropped it?

But the warranty is here as it is no longer in warranty.

https://www.fitbit.com/legal/returns-and-warranty

Contact Support as they will offer you a discount
http://help.fitbit.com/?cu=1

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Have exactly the same problem with my surges. Purchased one, screen cracked on outside for no reason, replaced under warranty no problem. All good great that it was replaced. Replacement surge lasted for about 6 months then appeared to get moisture on the inside of the screen, after the band cracked also with no good reason, then after the moisture happened within a day or so the entire inside of the screen looked exactly the same as your photo. No touch screen and then the top right button stopped working! The watch hasn't ever been dropped, banged on anything or missused. Second watch from fitbit to die in ridiculously short time. Tried to get the older cracked watch running again and it did for a few weeks, then moisture inside again while running (not in the rain, purely from sweat) and screen inside all cracked again! And because it was a warrantee replacement it doesn't qualify apparently for a warrantee past that set by the purchase date of the first watch . I like the watch when it works, don't think I will be buying another one as the build quality and resilience doesn't appear to be there.

Best Answer

Did you guys ever get an answer to what caused this?   Mine did the same thing, moisture on the inside of the screen then the cracking on the inside.   Now the touchscreen is no longer working.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone and welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community @Kley. I've shared your posts with our Customer support team and soon you'll receive a response. 

Stay tuned to the Fitbit Community, catch ya later.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

I have the exact same issue.  I will be monitoring this as my watch has already been replaced via warranty due to overheating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have the same problem about 1 week ago the watch looked like it had moisture inside it. The next day the inside glass had crack lines up and down can hardly see the watch face. Watch replaced due to broken band about 1 month after purchase now about 1 1/2 year old.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having same issues wondering what help fitbit might offer. Thanks Mike

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'll update this thread once I've heard from Fitbit support.   It's really strange.   I didn't drop it or bump it into anything.   It's around 18 months olds.   All of a sudden there was a little bit of fog on the inside of the glass.   The next morning I woke up to find the inside of the screen cracked like the picture above.

It's been a great little smart watch.   Fitbit QC/R&D should look into this and make sure it's not a design flaw.   I had planned on keeping it for a while longer since it set me back $250.   Depending on what Fitbit does, I may decide to try the Garmin Forerunner 35 next.   The ball is in your court Fitbit.

Best Answer

I have same issue, my surged cracked while in the sun and then moisture got under the glass and now have cracked line on inside.  My touch pad still works.  Has anyone heard back from Fitbit on this issue?

Best Answer
0 Votes

My touch pad worked for a few days too.   Eventually, it quit working.   Without the touchscreen, it's pretty much useless.  

Fitbit support offered me nothing.   No repair service options for what is a perfectly functional watch aside from the screen.   They also offered no insight as to why it happened.     I only got an email saying that support would be reaching out to me to assist - they never did.   That was over 3 weeks ago.

Due to this, and other Support issues I had a right after I bought my Surge, I decided to go back to Garmin and picked up a Forerunner 35.   I love the watch - more than the Surge, but the phone interface is not as good Fitbits IMO.   It'll do, so I'm happy with the purchase.   It's a lot smaller on my wrist and had different bands that I can switch to.  It also last an entire week on one charge.

To give you an example of how good Garmin is to their customers, I bought a used Edge 705 bicycle computer off of Ebay a few years ago.   I had it for 2-3 years, then it broke during a update.   I emailed Garmin and they had me send it in and fixed it free of charge, no questions asked.   I was amazed.  I've heard similar stories from others who use Garmin equipment for running and biking.   Fitbit, if you're reading this, take notes.   These communities communicate with each other, grassroots style, and when bad word gets out, it spreads ... but so does the good.

Good luck everybody.   Signing off of Fitbit (unless I get another device down the road).

Best Answer

I have the same issue. It started as a single small line at the bottom of the screen which has spread like a cancer or leprosy. I have taken photos of the cracks spreading. It has taken just over 1 week since the first minute crack appeared, for the screen to be 95% filled.

I have raised this separately in the forum plus contacted Customer Support. So far nothing concrete as a solution apart from acknowledging someone has read this.

I found a Youtube video where someone demonstrated how it's possible to separate the Surge to replace the screen. To be honest the effort involved in conducting this surgery & the fact the band has to be destroyed makes the procedure not feasible.

Has anyone had success with a viable solution?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just happened to me too. My fitbit was on my nightstand charging overnight; a tiny bit of moisture on the glass;  working fine; next morning the inside glass is crackled; just like your picture. From your collective responses,  I guess it's time for retirement to the dustbin.  So sad. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Surge did the exact same thing yesterday.  Did you have any luck with Fitbit?

Best Answer

Sorry.  No luck.  Out of warranty. Sadly time for a new watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I contacted Fitbit direct, included a photo of my Surge and I have now received a new Surge.  My Fitbit was out of warranty by nearly 12 months.  I found Fitbit extremely helpful.  

Best Answer

Thank you so much for letting us know.  Following your example I sent them an email (referencing your post) along with a picture of my crackled screen.  I hope I get as positive an answer as you did.  Thank you and congratulations on getting a replacement watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Good luck. They were extremely helpful with me. Let me know how you get on. 

Sent from my Samsung Mobile on the Telstra Mobile Network
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem.  Glad to see Fitbit helped out the last guy.  I contacted them via a form of some sort and hope they help me too.

Best Answer

It's been a while since I've been on this forum, but also wanted to note Fitbit were very helpful as well. 

I can't fault their engagement & follow up.

Best Answer