Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Surge won't charge

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have read and tried all of the solutions in the other threads regarding Fitbit devices (in particular the Surge) not charging.

I have rebooted (restarted) the device 3 times.  Once with the charging cable connected.  Once with it disconnected.  Once waiting a full 2 minutes before pressing the home button.  Nothing seems to work.  I have also tried different USB ports, and a phone charger to no avail.  My PC acknowledges the connection/disconnection of the Surge every time, regardless of which end of the cable I plug in/unplug first leading me to believe that the cable and my USB ports are fine.

It looks like I may have some corrosion under the first 2 contacts.  The picture isn't that great, but you can see the bubbling up of the gold.

2016-01-12 06.17.36.jpg

Best Answer
29 REPLIES 29

August 25, 2016:  Customer Service gave me this link:  :https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAMCZnbN3rUj9AqJCKhfrXRAwh_cSovoGW-luey85pvcO8...

Use the USB Adapter that you use for charging your iPhone and charge the Surge directly from an electric outlet.  DO NOT USE THE PC USB PORT!  The annoying buzzing happens constantly with Win10 no matter what USB port is used.

Best Answer

@cypresstony Welcome to our Community! Thank you for posting your solution in this thread. I didn't know Windows 10 could cause this issue. How has your experience been since charging your Surge with your phone adapter?

Keep me posted!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

HI Alvaro,

The USB Adapter is working great!  It's a pain to charge it away from the PC, but there are no annoying buzzing sounds.  The Surge gets fully charged within an hour.

Best Answer

@cypresstony Thank you again for posting here! Happy to hear that it is not only working fine but also charging fast. I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and recipes posted by other members to encourage a healthy lifestyle.

Hope to see you around!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

I have essentailly the same problenm you describe. You had this problem two years ago and it still hasn't been corrected. I may just need to get a refund.

Best Answer

Thanks for joining us to this family, hope you like what find here @SongCycleCat Happy

Sorry about your Surge. Have you tried restating the Surge a  couple of times would be a good idea. If you're still using the same Surge clean the charging contacts on the back of your Surge and on the charge itself. These contacts can become obstructed by microscopic dirt or debris that prevents them from making a good connection to the charger. Use a toothpick or toothbrush to clean the charging contacts; do not scrape them with anything metal because this may damage the plating and result in corrosion. 

We do recommend plugging your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or other low-energy device. If necessary, you can use a UL-certified USB wall charger. Don't use a USB hub or battery pack to charge, and only use the charging cable that came with your tracker. I'd like to know if you're getting the full battery sign after charging your Surge for 3 hours. Have you noticed if your charger is loose or maybe not connecting properly? How are you changing your Surge?

In regards to your inquiry about the option for a refund you can check our warranty information or check with retailer in case that you still have your receipt, this information is usually located in the back of the it.  

I'll be around! Woman Wink

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for the reply. However, since it was a brand new Surge, never been used, your recommendations were not really helpful. I contacted customer service and was able to resolve the issue. Apparantly it was a firmware problem. After downloading the latest version, the Surge was able to sync and charge. I would also add that the Fitbit customer service people are fantastic. I worked with two seperate people and they both were very helpful and patient.
Best Answer
Thanks to all for expressing your thoughts, but so have since gotten rid of my Fitbit.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

You know.. my problem kinda resolved itself. Don't know how. Maybe with firmware updates or so. I also followed some advice to not charge it through computer usb port but through casual 220v usb adapter. And so now I am still using Surge 2 years.

I do have another problem though. It starts to fall apart,  not the watch itself but the silicon bracelet. I already had to apply some electric-tape on it and some steel wire to reinforce it. But hey.. maybe stop complaining, get more cash: buy next version. I guess that is the way;)

Best Answer

Hi @SongCycle@tacan19A anb @linq I'm glad to see you here!

You're welcome @SongCycle, too bad it didn't help though. Thank goodness you were able to get help from our team, thank you for contacting them. Your feedback is really helpful, good to hear that they took care of you and you're now back on track.

@tacan19A Sorry to hear that, thanks for keep posting. I invite you join our Discussions boards in case that you have comments about different topics; or you just want to hand around.

@linq Thanks for your feedback, you might be right about the update and definitely taking care of how to charge it helps a lot! In regards to the issues that you're having with the band, I'd like to suggest contacting our team; so they can check your warranty options. I can request a new case if you wish! 

I'll be around.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer