Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pace, doesn't tell me a thing, i want km/h

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, 

I'm using my fitbit surge for 2 weeks now, really nice device! Still there's something missing for me.

There's this Pace thing which in my opinion is a bad option for people in Europe or in my case The Netherlands. We calculate distances and speed in km per hour, not pace. It's the same thing when an American is talking in km's instead of miles. The're probibly like, eeeh how many miles is that? 

I would like to run a constant of 11 km/h but there's no way to see this while running or after a run on my ios app / desktop app. 

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Hi, 

I'm using my fitbit surge for 2 weeks now, really nice device! Still there's something missing for me.

There's this Pace thing which in my opinion is a bad option for people in Europe or in my case The Netherlands. We calculate distances and speed in km per hour, not pace. It's the same thing when an American is talking in km's instead of miles. The're probibly like, eeeh how many miles is that? 

I would like to run a constant of 11 km/h but there's no way to see this while running or after a run on my ios app / desktop app. 

Hmmm, I lived in Germany for a while and did some running with a couple of guys from Dordrecht, and we literally always discussed our runs in terms of minutes per kilometer (i.e. pace); never kilometers per hour.  Here in the U.S. the only folks who discuss how fast they run in terms of miles per hour (versus minutes per mile) are folks who train on a tread mill.

Do you do most of your running on a treadmill or do you do it outside?

Best Answer
0 Votes

i rubber-tapped in my smartphone protection a little sheet to convert min/km to km/h, to look after the activity and know the speed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Al my runnings are outside and the are all free runs, no laps where I want to set a specific time. My goal is to run at a constant speed. 

It's probalbly a personal preference. There are a lot of topics about this so I'm not the onlyone. 

I don't understand why they do not make this as an option in their devices. It's so easy to build in and it would make a lot of people happy 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Al my runnings are outside and the are all free runs, no laps where I want to set a specific time. My goal is to run at a constant speed. 

It's probalbly a personal preference. There are a lot of topics about this so I'm not the onlyone. 

I don't understand why they do not make this as an option in their devices. It's so easy to build in and it would make a lot of people happy 🙂 

I still have no clue what you're asking for.

Regarding pace, as a coach I would say it is a bad idea to have "running at a constant speed" as a goal.  Your speed should be dynamic depending upon your environment, how far you're going, how many miles/kilometers you have left to run, how you feel, the weather, uphill/downhill, direction of the wind, and heck, maybe even the phase of the moon.  For my part, I run hundreds of miles per month and literally *never* run at a constant speed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

jochems is asking for an option to see the speed of his run instead of the pace. He is not asking for running tips.

Honestly, I used to find this a bit disturbing as well when I got my surge.

Now I'm used to see the pace, but having the speed is just more logical for some people (I'm one of them).

Best Answer

@postatoe wrote:

jochems is asking for an option to see the speed of his run instead of the pace. He is not asking for running tips.

Honestly, I used to find this a bit disturbing as well when I got my surge.

Now I'm used to see the pace, but having the speed is just more logical for some people (I'm one of them).

In the running community pace is used, not speed.  If you tell another runner; especially one who has never been on a treadmill, "I ran 5.6 miles per hour," the runner won't have a clue what you're talking about.  Not saying you have to change just because communication is an issue, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Depends on where you live, my friend.

The world is not the world you know, it's a bit bigger.

Best Answer

Exactly like that we don't understand min/km. It's just a matter of what you are used to, to be able to put the number in perspective. I wonder how hard is it to make it configurable? Seems an easy option. 

Best Answer
0 Votes