Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick battery death? Turn off All-Day Sync in app!

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

EDIT 2-13-16: If you read the entire thread, it has become very clear it is not the software version but All-Day Sync in the mobile apps doing the damage. I'll leave the below post up for posterity, but, I'm changing the thread title. I'm not going to have the wrong issue be blamed, and I'll take initial wrongness to know the real issue got pegged. I hope that this helps others out. FitBit needs to fix this issue and I think enough case study by myself alone (two watches, and a third to be planned) will give FitBit what it needs. I'm sure others have added on elsewhere, and it'll only support the issue. So please, if you have a quick-dying watch, locate the All-Day Sync feature by clicking on your watch in the app and going to where you'd set up things like what wrist it's worn on, notifications, etc., and turn off All-Day Sync there. You'll instantly see the difference after you charge your device to full and start anew.

-----------

Look, I'm going to come straight out and say it: I think the current software version is killing battery life, that version being 16.34.5.14. I asked it as a question in the subject line, but to me, it is the answer. I just want some input from others who are longer-term owners of the watch and have seen different versions to confirm or deny what I say. Those who are new to the watch and this is the software they've only ever known have no basis to compare to, but suffer all the same.

Here is my personal story.

I bought the Surge in January 2015. I replaced it later in the year as it began cracking around the screws and was close to falling apart. I got a backup unit that was a refurb, after a call to customer support. Look back in these threads; I was religious in checking battery life and went into the five day ranges easily. All I do normally is heart rate. Bluetooth, notifications, everything else, all that is turned off. I like the steps, the heart rate and the sleep monitoring. I sporadically use the timer for breaks at work so I am not late, if my cell phone is in use. (Always a good countdown timer for a backup.)

The refurb suddenly started losing battery power and dying at three days, or just shy of it, and I didn't think much of it. My thought was maybe the refurb was bad. So I called customer service earlier this month (January 2016) and got a new refurb. This puts me on a third watch overall.

That third one quickly began dying at three days, if that, not even three weeks of owning it. Just like the previous one, it was dying quickly. I was upset. I called and after talking to a supervisor had a brand new sealed-in-the-box unit overnighted to me. Got it Tuesday the 26th, updated and charged it up for a first use and all that, and unplugged it that night around 10ish and was ready to go.

Today is Friday the 29th. It died between 4:30 and 5:30 p.m. (Eastern times, if it matters.) Not even three days. A brand spanking new watch out of the box dead like the previous one, a refurb. The refurb got the whole hard reset and charge treatment and every other idea posted on here over time. The refurb never could go past three days. And now a pristine new Surge as if I just bought it at Best Buy has the same issue and is on its first "death charge" for lack of better term plugged into my PC as I write this.

You can't tell me every single battery is bad, right? It HAS to be the software. What else could it be? Something is draining it, and if I am constantly charging it every two nights knowing it will die on the third day, how can I measure sleep? If I charge it elsewhere and I walk around, how I can measure steps? If I charge it period, how do I measure heart rate?

The common denominator in all of this is the software version. Fitbit crew, you guys need to look into this. Yes, I made a thread with a slew of other battery life posts out there, but they exist for a reason. Something is killing it, and logical deduction is telling me something in this software release is bad and a new software release -- or rollback -- is needed to give us our battery life back. How can a watch go from 5-7 days all the way down to three, if that, with barely any features used? And the website's shop still says up to seven days. We're not even getting up to three days right now, and you advertise it as seven days?

I'm convinced it's the software. Please fix it or rollback to one that didn't drain it so bad, regardless of what this current version does. I'll take the hiccups of the previous software; I just want a watch that won't die without even seeing three full days.

I'm about to give up on FitBit. I paid $250 for a product that either physically broke down so soon or software-wise is a disaster. I came to FitBit because the Jawbone UP line was an epic disaster and people recommended FitBit. But the product I want not working? I have issues.

So what you say, Fitbit? Will you fix this ASAP? What else could this possibly be? Seriously. Software is the logical answer. You have a memory leak or battery drainer or something in this software. Reconfigure and give us battery life, before I reconfigure who I choose for a tracker and go to another company. Because I will not go through all this again. I'm tired of the warranty exchanges. I'll just go to another company that offers a reliable product.

Moderator edit: title

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hey all, let's keep this discussion positive.

@Moocow1980 Glad to hear your battery life has improved! Turning off All-Day Sync is a great troubleshoot, I'll definitely look into getting that added to our help article for maximizing battery life so other people are aware. Thanks for pointing that out!

@port513 @bmbaeb It can help save battery life by turning it off; however, there are other tips we have in the article I linked above. Smiley Happy

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
43 REPLIES 43
I don't check religiously any more but as I swap between Charge and Surge when batteries need a recharge I can tell when that was fairly easily just from looking at my HR history. Currently, on latest firmware, it looks like I'm still getting about 7 days life (although I tend to swap over after 6).

Note that I'm not wearing it at night at the moment so for a week at 7 hours a night that probably knocks two days off my count taking me down to 5.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
Fitbit should stop sending out refurbished defective replacements. It's just not solving the problem.
Best Answer

@step2it that may not be the issue. Again, I said I got a brand new sealed-in-the-box one sent to me, as if I went to, say, Best Buy and bought it. Same issues are happening. I am using the Surge today the same way I have ALWAYS used it since I bought my original over a year ago and had battery life lengths of over five days. So it HAS to be the firmware. I don't think faulty refurbs are being sent out, or this brand new watch wouldn't be enduring the same issues.

Best Answer
0 Votes

as MikeF, i have the latest firmware, and my battery lasts 6 days+

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a brand new Surge from Fitbit and am only getting 4 days on a full charge! I wish I could get 5 - 7 days on a single charge! I use the usb on my pc to charge it too as per suggestion from Fitbit themself.

notifications off
alarms off
all-day sync off
bluetooth classic off
backlight auto
heart rate auto
quick view gesture off
No GPS
firmware version 16.34.5.14
Best Answer
Monday morning ET 12:15 it has the blank battery symbol. I just charged it as to let my wrist air out. If I don't it dies at work tomorrow.

So basically another three days (if that) charge. I have practically everything turned off EXCEPT the base stuff I want that used to get me 5-6 days on a single charge.

This software version is a battery drainer. You guys can say charge it this way or reset it this way but I've done all that so much that again, common denominator is the software. Upgrade it or roll it back. But this battery life is unacceptable.

I'm seriously about to go to another tracker as soon as my research is done on which is best. It is a shame FitBit doesn't care enough to even have mods reply to this topic and actually gets techs on this issue. A majority of the people you read on here have this issue; those with the 5-5 day battery lives are in the minority and should be the majority.

This watch has gone from awesome to suck in a short time. Can't you guys fix this with better software?

I will keep posting in this thread every time I have a three-day charge until either it's fixed or I buy a new tracker from another company. This is ridiculous.
Best Answer
Wednesday morning at 12:28 am, after I'm asleep, I get emailed and notified and all that in various ways the low battery notification. This watch won't make it to three days based on logical, educated guesses based on past experiences. So the charger comes to work with me.

This is ridiculous. I'm going to call (probably worthless) FitBit support tonight. But I'm telling you, if you have 5-7 days, I'm happy for you, but this is not the norm for a lot of people. My.story is. Fitbit, WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO FIX THIS???
Best Answer
0 Votes
I had the same problem. Three days max on a full charge. I went back to Best Buy and exchanged it for a new one yesterday. I didn't want to go thru Fitbit giving me a refurbished one. Will let post update on whether new one has same problems.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I would be stunned if it did not. I'm already on my third recharge after the watch lasted less than three days.

Again, the software version has ruined it. This watch is basically unusuable if I have it off and cannot measure things consistently. Once every five days to let the wrist breathe for a while O can accept. But constant charging when the website advertises 5-7 days? I'm not using GPS here; I've documented I use minimal features. The software killed the watch.

FitBit needs to fix this. Where are the mods and what feedback is actually going to FitBit to resolve this? I know, I know, I'm repeating myself over and over, but I have to deal with this over and over. Will someone please stop the madness?!
Best Answer
0 Votes
There may be hope. But it may be different software. I need more independent study on all of this.

I hard rebooted my watch Wednesday and then uninstalled/reinstalled the android Fitbit app. There is this all day sync setting that was turned on. Not always connected -- which I turned off as always -- but all-day sync. And it was on. Fresh reinstall it was on. Turned it off. I am at three days. Medium battery life, no recharge.

All-day sync is potentially the culprit. I need more independent study and I may pull one of the refurbs and test when this watch dies out (I will let it die intentionally and see where it finishes). If the refurb then lasts five days, I fixed it. If the refurb doesn't and my brand new watch doesn't, it is a fluke. If the refurb doesn't and the new watch does a second time, the refurbs then are proven to suck.

But all day sync needs to be off by default and needs to have a warning with it you click OK to when you turn it on. That way, you know. And there needs to be an on the watch indicator ADS is on so you know as well, so you can fix as needed.

But, let's see how the next tests play out.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had my Fitbit Surge for about a week now and I only got about 1d 20h from a full charge with All-day sync on and I wear it all days and nights.

I have now switched All-day sync off and will see if I get better battery time than I have now.

/Henke

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Moocow1980 Good call turning off All-day sync. You also might want to consider turning off Quick View to save battery life. To turn off Quick View, go to Settings > Devices on your fitbit.com Dashboard. You can check out additional tips to maximize battery life on our help site if you haven't already.

Hope that helps.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer
I pretty much have my Surge down to where it is what it is. Turning off quick view I need to read up on, as I'm not sure what it is and if it is that big of a deal, but I am at 3.5 days as I type this and still medium battery life.

If the past is any indication, the low battery warning means I have a day or two left. But really a good watch makes it five days; anything above is just phenomenal and abnormal and you give a fist bump to the person who experiences it. I've had times over five days. I'm gonna find out in the next 2-3 weeks with my independent testing though.

And in all honesty, that always connected option needs to go, or be off by default with a pop-up "Are you sure you want to turn this on?" box. If that has been my issue all along, I will be upset knowing a simple fix resolves it.
Best Answer
0 Votes
With the noted changes to the Android app and I did the desktop app as well, I am over 5 days with a sliver of battery life. No low battery notification has been stated yet nor has the battery gone empty logo on my screen. Anything over the exact 5 day mark to the minute is great so... Yeah something is going right.

More research will be done with the other watch but to go over five days means I MIGHT have found the culprit. I will use a refurb and see what happens and report back in a week or so with my findings.
Best Answer

Is your best guess that it's the all day sync that's doing it? I just got a replacement Surge and it's doing the same thing, a little less than 2 days, so I'm debating doing everything and starting from square one but all day sync has been enabled for me so far.

Used to get 5 days easy before some update happened. I got my wife a Charge HR and it had less than 2 days life out of the box, exchanged it for another one at Best Buy and the replacement did the same exact thing. Seems to make sense that it's the app, since it's happened on 2 out of 2 Surges and 2 out of 2 Charge HRs that my family has been through in the last month. I thought about turning off all automatic syncing and bluetooth to see how that changes things but haven't gotten around to that yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I noticed all day sync was a feature that never existed before. It was on. So I turned it off. It is 5:45 pm and I'd say 5 days and 7 hours on my brand new watch. I expect tonight or tomorrow morning to get the low battery message and I'll keep wearing it until I get the blank battery icon (enough will have been proven by then), then I will turn it off and swap in the refurb. I'll see what the refurb does. If it lasts several days, then I know it is the all day sync.

So my recommendation is charge your device to full, turn off all day sync, turn off the quick view on the desktop, put the watch back on, mark down the time, and see how long it goes until you get a low battery notification. However once you get that notification don't take it off. It will still have life in it. Note the time the blank battery icon shows up. Count the days and hours. Above 5 days is good, below is bad. Over six days is excellent. Over seven and that's awesome, or you have every single feature turned off haha.

But I'm going to run tests. And again, the app needs redesigned to have it off by default AND ask in pop-up boxes if you're sure you want to turn it on due to battery drain.

Anyway, time will tell. I'll report back when I swap.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I turned All-day sync off and also the gesture off and I'm on my third day now.
It must be the All-day sync that drains the battery.
Best Answer
0 Votes
5.5+ days, at 12:20 am my time, I got the low battery notification but there is no blank battery on the display yet. Still that tiny sliver. I expect to get to six days easily since I'm like 10h away from that mark. But battery death will be coming in the next 24 hours I predict; if longer than 24 hours I'll take it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

again, a lot of questions and laments on something easy to find answers by searching a little on the forum.

Best Answer