Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really?? 4075 calories burned today?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I'm on my third day with my Surge. First two days the calorie burn seemed about right, including long runs each day. Today, with no workout, 8000 plus steps, it says I burned almost 5000 calories today. I don't think that can be correct. Any advice? In the past I have used a different brand gps and calculated from the distance run and walked my calories and added calories in on a spread sheet. I was very accurate this way (lost 50 pounds in a few months exactly according to the data n my spreadsheet) and so have enough experience at it to know this data I am getting, 5000 calories burned on a day with no exercise other than the walking I do at work - a few thousand steps - is not accurate. What should I do? What can I do, besides giving up on the Fitbit app and going back to my spreadsheet.
Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Hello @TEF, welcome to our Fitbit Community. In this case if you take in consideration how the calories are burned that number is not that crazy. With this I mean your calorie burn is the result of both the steps you've take, as well as your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). Which is the rate at which you burn calories as a result of maintaining vital body functions. These functions include breathing and heartbeat and brain activity, among others. Your BMR usually accounts for at least half of the calories you burn in a day. 

Also if you maintain a high intensity on your exercise, this will increase the chance to burn more calories. There is a post from a user of the community @SebringDon, that talks about this. Perhaps this post will provide you a better explanation from the user perspective, so I leave you link here.

Let me know how it goes and catch ya later my friend.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit says I burn an average of 5000 calories a day while I only eat around 1700 calories a day. Yet I keep gaining weight.  It also says I have a resting rate of 40 bpm and do around 400 minutes of intensity everyday. None of these numbers make any sense to me unless I'm having constant heart failure  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am facing the same problem. Calories burned start from 4000 instead of from say 100 {used during sleep}.

How to reset the Surge? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Whocaress@Girish50

Please read @RobertoME Message above. It has to do with your BMR

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah--I had to wear the band tighter and then got more accurate calculations. Then, however, after a few months, the band came loose from the watch. I called Fitbit and they sent me a replacement watch, but after a few months, the band cam off the new watch. I fixed it with some heavy duty mounting strips (they are made to hang things on the wall-but make sure you get the heavy duty ones if this happens to your watch). Now, after a year or so it is coming apart again. When it breaks completely, I will go back to a Garmin - never had such design problems with them.

Best Answer

There is no way that one can burn 4000 calories during one's sleep whatever the BMR. I think there is some malfunction in the Surge. 

Best Answer

Robertome s only suggestion is that your bmr is completely out of control and not that the fitbit is inaccurate. Which if that were the case and I was actually burning 5000 calories while watching tv I need to go to a hospital,  like immediately. So should I call the ambulance?

Best Answer

Thanks for reaching our the Community @TEF@Girish50 and @Whocaress.

@TEF Thanks for your feedback. Have you consider checking with support team your options with us? I can give you a hand with that if you wish or you can reply to the last emails you received from support. Keep me posted.

@Girish50  This is a really good question, actually the value that you see on your tracker when you wake up in the morning is your estimated calorie burn for the day so far. You still burn calories even if you have been sedentary or were sleeping, without you having to exercise in your dreams. Smiley Very Happy

As you might know @Whocaress Fitbit Account estimates your calorie burn based on your age, gender, height and weight. Once you start tracking your activities the calories will increase depending on how active you are. Check this screenshot from the Fitbit.com Dashboard in a computer, all day long you can see the estimated amount of calories that the body burns without exercising, and the long lines shows activity tracked by the Fitbit. Robot wink

4000 calories in one night is not normal, so we might have to check what is going on there, since your tracker wipes out your previous day data to show only the information from midnight to the next morning. In my case every morning I get around 400 calories from 12 am to 8 am or so. 

Can you please attach some screenshots so I can take a look of them please. Thanks in advance! 

calories.PNG

I'll be waiting for your reply! Smiley Very Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes