Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runkeeper integration

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Would be nice if the HR monitor could talk to Runkeeper (and Wahoo, Zwift, etc) - any plans to open it up?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The open API the 3rd party app developers use to connect the accounts now includes GPS and HR data. It is up to those developers to use it.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
46 REPLIES 46

The open API the 3rd party app developers use to connect the accounts now includes GPS and HR data. It is up to those developers to use it.

Best Answer
But it isn't full duplex integration according to runkeeper. When I go fora run and track it with runkeeper I'm not seeing my heart rate.
Best Answer

Sadly, Runkeeper doesn't do a full sync with Fitbit. Runkeeper blames Fitbit and Fitbit claims it's a third party's responsibility regarding what syncs.

Best Answer

Too bad... I was hoping this would be a way to get back  "very active minutes" which we lost in the last "update". I guess I'm going to have to try a different tracker. 

Best Answer
Very Active Minutes haven't gone anywhere. I grant you that they're not identified explicitly on the Surge without a little digging, but they never have been. How does a link with another website "restore" this?

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It will be great if I could see my HR on my repunkeeper!
Best Answer

Don't count on it unless you're going to use Polar or another HRM.

Best Answer

Hey Fitbitters! I agree with @SunsetRunner. @tastybrew The API is open and Runkeeper can pull over that data. 

Currently, the things that sync between both are calories and sleep to Runkeeper. However, Runkeeper data doesn't sync to Fitbit. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

If you read the forum from runkeeper they blame Fitbit.

Maybe the should just pick up the phone and call each other and help there customers.

Best Answer

The "Fitbit open API" isn't so open:

- 3rd parties cannot send a workout to Fitbit that includes HR or GPS

- 3rd parties can only read HR from activities created on Surge (and not Charge HR). Have a Charge HR and hoping that walk/run will export to Runkeeper with HR data? Sorry, Fitbit only exports activities with GPS *and* HR data (= Surge only). The Fitbit API documentation is still in error regarding TCX files requiring GPS data to export HR (I've used TCX files for HR only data interchange for years). This has been acknowledged by Fitbit yet the API documentation is still in error https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Web-API/TCX-export-without-GPS-data/m-p/786005

- 3rd parties only have access to daily summary HR data, and 3rd party must request and receive special  permission to read HR data recorded throughout the day

So, it is a one way street - it is NOT possible to log activities in workout apps like Strava, MapMyRun, etc, etc, and then export activity to Fitbit and have it include HR and GPS.

Please correct me if anything I stated is in error.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

it looks like you did a bit of research and it sounds convincing.

but the thing remains it's Fitbit that needs to open there API and or let runkeeper, strava, .... give there input to Fitbit or let the fitbit ap use the gps from the phone to record the whole workout so we can afterwords export the tcx file's.

But in both cases it's Fitbit that blocks the thing.

i just bought the charge HR and i'm thinking of sending it back if i don't get a answer. 

I don't think it's so difficult to answer the question of there customers, eather positive or negative. 

Best Answer

Such a shame, only bought my Surge today and mostly like it, particularly the HR monitor, but as it's not compatible with RunKeeper (which I've been using for years) I think I'm going to have to return the surge and wait for an all day wearable with similar features that is less restrictive.

Interesting that various reviews that I've read from respectable tech journalism sources do say that Surge is compaitble with RunKeeper, Fitbit really should be correcting them. 

Not a happy customer! 😞

Best Answer

Ok so i can link my fitbit account to runkeeper.

the only data that seems to be automaticaly synced is steps, calories and sleep. i think (not what i want to be synced) un linked now

i can manualy down load runs from fitbit (i record the runs using the app on my iphone and wear the charge hr to get the hr) and manualy upload to runkeeper with maps ,time distance,splits and hr. brilliant.

why doesent this happen automaticaly? (it does on strava) or does it and im just doing something wrong.

any ideas.

Best Answer

Runkeeper blames Fitbit and Fitbit claims it's a third party's responsibility regarding what syncs.

Why not just use Runkeeper to track runs if that's all you're looking for?

Best Answer
Because that's not all I'm looking for...
Best Answer
0 Votes

@ebwoyMy response wasn't geared toward you. You aren't going to get what you were looking for. I thought you were returning your Surge? As I've stated several times around these forums, I continue tracking a majority of my activities with Runkeeper and my Polar H7. I use my Charge HR to track steps. I sync through MFP which worked fine until Fitbit removed our ability to edit activities a year ago. I've now resigned myself to manually entering activities in the Fitbit dashboard based on Runkeeper and my Polar HR info. It's not seamless but it's functional.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Because we want the HR to show on runkeeper WHILE we're running...That's what I thoght the Charge HR would do, so this sux. It's just a glorified pedometer.  Which is fine, but I wanted to stop wearing my chest strap HRM and just let it read the HR off my fitbit, but somehow this is fscking rocket science I guess. 

Best Answer

Not rocket science - its big business. Fitbit gets to decide which integration partners get HR data. And worse, Fitbit has decided that HR can only be exported if a) you have a Surge, and b) you tracked workout in GPS mode. No HR exporting for Charge HR. Purely a business decision by Fitbit, not a technical decision.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am enjoying the fit bit however I am signed up to a training programme on runkeeper; I like runkeeper and it is was a contest I would choose Runkeeper over fitbit.

What I would like is for the two to talk to eachother properly

I use the Runkeeper App and want the Fitbit to upload the runs I do to the runkeeper app sothat I dont have to enter it myself and link it to my training programme

Best Answer