Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep stages for Surge

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I would like to know if and when Fitbit will release the advanced sleep stages they are offering on Alta hr and blaze to is Surge users?  Please advise. I assume you should eventually since Surge has sleep tracking and hr monitor

T

Moderator edit: Clarified subject.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The sleep stages features should be extended to all trackers with HR.  Since the hardware and HR stuff appears to be the same on the devices.. aka Pure Pulse Heart Rate - it appears this is an intentional choice by Fitbit to drive Alta HR aka new hardware purchases.  Why not release the software update for all devices?  Why only new hardware?  Support could not provide answer...

Hello Fitbit product you listening?

Moderator edit: Format.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
17 REPLIES 17

No one can answer this question. If Fitbit decides to add it and a new software comes down with it then you will know.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

No, they are not possible with the Surge's older tech. The optical sensor does not have high enough resolution for HRV which is used for the analysis.

Best Answer

Thanks for popping by the forums @Tlsrph! I think that's an excellent idea. As @WendyB said, we don't have any information about it at this moment, but you can suggest this idea in our Feature Suggestions board. Stay tuned, usually new announcements are reveled in the Fitbit.com page or here in the Forums.

I found this suggestion: Track REM, Light and Deep Sleep, in case that you think is the same idea you can vote and comment on it. Labels on the ideas will give you a clue about where it will be implemented, if so.

@Dom07 Thanks for sharing your feedback, but I'd wait for a formal response from our team. I'll definitely pass along your comment.

I'll be around! Smiley Very Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

The sleep stages features should be extended to all trackers with HR.  Since the hardware and HR stuff appears to be the same on the devices.. aka Pure Pulse Heart Rate - it appears this is an intentional choice by Fitbit to drive Alta HR aka new hardware purchases.  Why not release the software update for all devices?  Why only new hardware?  Support could not provide answer...

Hello Fitbit product you listening?

Moderator edit: Format.

Best Answer

Thanks for your reply.  I hope it isn't due to older technology.  I just bought it because it is the only one that had a gps function. They certainly did not lead me to believe it was older technology   I appreciate your assistance on getting to the right answer

T

Best Answer

i bought it as well for the gps feature.  the pure pulse hr does not appear to be updated.  so this is a software thing and app or fitbit processing based.  so to me its a matter of extending a more detailed collection for the stages info on the surge via the pure pulse hr feed to the app and fitbit servers.

Best Answer

that is interesting. how do you know this?  did support tell you this or did you see some update info.  would you please share. 

TY!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The hardware is not the same. That is why the Surge will not get the features. It uses an older version of the TI chip that controls the sensor.

Best Answer

Thank you for the info Dom07.  It would be great if FitBit would tell there support people this information.  

Best Answer

I don't understand why the most expensive Fitbit that y'all offer doesn't have what less expensive models have. I bought the Surge because as I understood it to be the top model!

Come to find out when I bought my wife her Blaze which is $50 cheaper, she has a lot more functionality than my Surge has, besides GPS.

Best Answer

Theoretically, the surge should be able to support sleep stages because it has an hr monitor and an accelerometer. Looking at the tech specs for the blaze and the surge, both are using a 48 MHz 32-bit ARM cpu. The blaze has 4 MB of pSRAM and 8 MB of serial flash storage. The surge, however, has abut 512 Kb of RAM and 1024 KB of serial flash. The surge ALSO has an additional 64mb serial flash chip, presumably to store many GPS coordinates. The surges 512 Kb of ram appear to be the only thing that could possibly prevent detailed sleep tracking. This is only an educated guess, however, and I could be wrong.

Best Answer

The resounding silence from the fitbit guys, I think, say's it all.

I too thought buying the top of the line would get me all the features from below models.

😕 

Best Answer

Hey @RRC@Tlsrph, @atiroaoj and  @Dom07 thanks for getting back!  Let's welcome our new friends @Finishthagame and @fmprocks26 Robot Happy

Thanks for sharing all your thoughts in regards Sleep Stages. I will definitely pass all this feedback along. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment according on what you share here.

Whenever Fitbit has an announce regarding new feature or updates, we usually post all that information here in the Forums. I understand your grievances about Fitbit Surge not having this option and that's why I want to point you in the right direction, as I mentioned before you can place a new idea in our Feature Suggestions board or vote for this option: Track REM, Light and Deep Sleep for Fitbit Surge. Thanks for sharing again!

Hope to see you around! Smiley Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

YojanaFitbit,

Please could you find out when we can expect to see the sleep stages update for our surge fitbits, this doesn't seem to me like a subject overlooked, it would be crazy to think Fitbit didn't know that this feature doesn't work yet on the surge. So when is it planned to update? And why hasn't it been updated already?

this isn't a suggestion for improvement but a request to make sure your Fitbit product work efficiantly and correctly inline with all updates across the board. 

Thank you for your reply, 

Best Answer

Nice to see that you're digging into the Forums @Newland, let me give you a warm welcome to our Community.

Indeed, you're right about this request! Now, as this option as many other features take some time to be tested. We usually use the Feature Suggestions Board to place those requests, but we don't have an specific time frame to give; as mentioned before we know that this is something that our users need and want, that's why we use this board. I appreciate your feedback and thanks again for posting your inquiry here.

See you around! Woman Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same question a year later... when will Sleep Stages be available with the Surge?

Best Answer

Hi @Shogg666, thanks for reaching out the Forums one more time! Smiley Happy

We're always working to streamline our offerings as we introduce new products. Although Surge has been a very popular product for us, we will soon stop selling Fitbit Surge. This means that we no longer have new updates for Fitbit Surge. Please note that we’ll continue to support Surge from a software standpoint, along with any questions you might have during your use of the product. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope we can continue to provide you with Fitbit devices you love and help you reach your goals.

If you're looking for a new device, we recommend considering Ionic. Ionic is a motivating timepiece packed with fitness guidance, health insights, music storage, apps, and more. You can learn more about Ionic at https://www.fitbit.com/ionic

You can learn more about the rest of the Fitbit family of products at https://www.fitbit.com/compare.

Let me know if you have questions about it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes