Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge Firmware Release - 16.34.6.1

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 8/23/18:

Hey, everyone! Just wanted to thank you all for your participation in this thread. 

Since the majority of Surge users have successfully updated to this firmware: 16.34.6.1I have decided to close this topic from further comments. 

If you still have not updated your firmware to 16.34.6.1, check out this help article for how to update your device. 

If you're experiencing any issues with your Surge, unrelated to the firmware-up process, I invite you to start a new topic on the Community or find a related topic. 

Thanks for all your feedback and contributions on this thread. Smiley Happy

Fitbit Update: 11/2/2017

Hey, Surge users! 

I wanted to let you all know this firmware release to version: 16.34.6.1 is now out to 100% of users. Please update your trackers! Take a look at our update instructions and make sure to charge the tracker to a full battery before you begin using it again. 

Fitbit Update: 10/26/2017

This firmware has now been released to 50% of all Surge users. Please update your trackers if you see the update available to you!

Fitbit Update: 10/17/2017

We've begun to roll out new firmware for Surge! This is a progressive rollout, and all Surge users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. This firmware update includes:

Click here to see our firmware release help article for more details on version 16.34.6.

Instructions for updating your tracker can be found here.

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
145 REPLIES 145

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@b-mike wrote:

NO I WILL NOT BE UPDATING MY TRACKER, THANK YOU! Have you even bothered to read our replies to this thread? Why would I update my Surge to a newer version of the firmware that doesn't add any features or fix any bugs? All it does is REMOVE functionality from my device. That's not an upgrade, it a DOWNGRADE!

@b-mike, as far as I understood it, the option to disable live data was only an option, not a must.

Yes, I may not have that option on iOS, but as far as I could tell you should be able to turn it on or off. 

@ all - can someone with an Android device please confirm my theory? Thank you!

I'll let you know what happens if I update, but after reading viz say that their battery is now draining, I think I may personally hold off on this one.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@b-mike wrote:

NO I WILL NOT BE UPDATING MY TRACKER, THANK YOU! Have you even bothered to read our replies to this thread? Why would I update my Surge to a newer version of the firmware that doesn't add any features or fix any bugs? All it does is REMOVE functionality from my device. That's not an upgrade, it a DOWNGRADE!

@b-mike, as far as I understood it, the option to disable live data was only an option, not a must.

Yes, I may not have that option on iOS, but as far as I could tell you should be able to turn it on or off. 

@ all - can someone with an Android device please confirm my theory? Thank you!

I'll let you know what happens if I update, but after reading viz say that their battery is now draining, I think I may personally hold off on this one.

so, you're believing in ONE report.

they are some other reasons to battery draining.

i upgraded mine yesterday, no problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, sorry if i'm being daft but my Fitbit Surge won't update the tracker. Initially i was getting FBBluetooth error 8 now this morning it's FBBluetooth error 18. Can't seem to find out how i fix this. Please can you advise. TIA

Best Answer

I'm going to bet you never get a reply...try tweeting them...
I have the same issue, just can't be bothered now, Garmin here I come.

Best Answer

I installed the update, rebooted the Surge and the heart rate reading in the Android app is still working. I do not have notifications on. Only "All-Day Sync". But it takes some time till it is displayed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I installed the update, nothing noticeable changed, it still does not work on the Iphone 8.  Bluetooth does not recognize the tracker.  The app gets its information about the tracker via the internet (Fitbit Dashboard) but not from the tracker, I still have to sync with the PC Desktop via the Bluetooth Dongle in the USB Port.

Best Answer
0 Votes

All buttons are working after the update.

Hence so many people are ranting about Fitbit I will post some words regarding this topic.

I am very satisfied with Fitbit. I hardly needed any support. The only time was when my armbands were broken. Fitbit sent me a new tracker without discussion.

I also investigated Garmin gear but many reviews stated that the heart reading is very inaccurate. May be this is better now. Fact is that the Surge heart rate reading is very accurate and I am satisfied with it.

The biggest problem I had was the unsatisfied sync between Endomondo and Fitbit. I am now using Tapiirik and this problem is also solved.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Security updates are the most important updates of all, so I am eager to install this firmware, but I can't.

I the new firmware available icons popped up for both my Surge and my Blaze yesterday.  The Blaze updated just fine, but the Surge is giving me trouble.

Whenever I tap the pink "Update Tracker Software" button I just get a notification that says "The Fitbit Bluetooth service is busy, please try again later."

I have tried restarting both my phone and my Surge to no effect.

Syncing and everything else seems to work just fine, but the firmware update just isnmt going through.   Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

Screenshot_20171103-123044.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi guys have very strange problem, after upgrade, notifications stoped working, even if you press button on surge nothing happens (before it said no new notifications or showed old ones) any ideas? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mattlach wrote:

Security updates are the most important updates of all, so I am eager to install this firmware, but I can't.

I the new firmware available icons popped up for both my Surge and my Blaze yesterday.  The Blaze updated just fine, but the Surge is giving me trouble.

Whenever I tap the pink "Update Tracker Software" button I just get a notification that says "The Fitbit Bluetooth service is busy, please try again later."

I have tried restarting both my phone and my Surge to no effect.

Syncing and everything else seems to work just fine, but the firmware update just isnmt going through.   Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

Screenshot_20171103-123044.png

If you're lucky and have Windows 10 I can highly recommend installing the Fitbit app from the windows store, connecting your Surge via bluetooth to your PC/Notebook and do the upgrade there.

Since my iPhone 7 sometimes locked the screen before the update finished (at that distant past when there were still Surge firmware updates every other month), I tried the Windows AppStore app from Fitbit this time... and it worked like a charm.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, that is why I bought the Surge also.  Very disappointed though as it continues to decide it does not want to sync on a whim whenever it feels like it.  I have bought Fitbits for all my family---but don't think I would get another one for myself after frustrations with the Surge for past couple months. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Are the sync problems you guys experiencing with Android or iOS app? I for myself do sometimes get the message that my sync is scheduled for later (on Android). I ignore this and swipe some times from the top to the bottom of the Fitbit app and the app starts syncing.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi it is for android, but sync is working only notifications do not wirk
for me, feels like this functionality was removed 😕
Best Answer
0 Votes
Using iPhone 6---it works fine for awhile and then decides to go on strike!
Best Answer
0 Votes
My problem is with iPhone 6 and I hate having to jump through hoops just
because my Surge is tired of wishing to sync my steps! Plus, I can never
find the easy instructions to do this---okay, next time I get good clear
instructions shall copy them---but I do think it ought to be included in
the manual.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry, that was a typo: I have an iPhone 6.

Ever since I updated (both the Surge and my phone to iOS 11.1), I can't sync anymore without disconnecting all bluetooth devices first and then activating bluetooth once I'm in the fitbit app.

It's the only way I can sync anymore; at least message and call notifications still work on my Surge... the sync part is broken though.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes   I also have iPhone 6 and trouble getting Surge to sync. Very
disappointing.
Best Answer
0 Votes

No thanks FitBit on this Firmware update for the Surge.  The last firmware update I tried on my Blaze totally destroyed a device that was already barely functional with my Samsung S8.  Now I have about a day and a half battery life on my Blaze while it searches for a way to communicate with my phone.  My Surge still works so I see no reason to chance screwing it up fixing what ain't broke.

You discontinued the Surge?  Are you calling the Blaze it's replacement though the Blaze still won't communicate fully with the newest Samsung phone?  Wow, ain't that something.  😞  What are you going to do when the S9 comes out and you still haven't resolved the S8 comm problems or the Blaze battery life issues?Smiley Frustrated

Best Answer
0 Votes

I updated my Surge yesterday, and have had no problems with power drain or bluetooth (Mac, current OS, iPhone 6, also current). However, in the middle of the night my display changed from the "starburst" to a display with a circle, the hour, and the seconds in a little satellite going around. 'Settings' doesn't give me a display option. How can I get my 'starburst' back?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@econklin Go to your Fitbit Dashboard. Click on the "Gear" in the upper righthand corner. Click on "Surge Tracker" from the dropdown menu. Go down the list to "clock display" and click on it. Select the display of your choice. Sync your Surge and you should be good to go. Good luck! 

Fixed wing aircraft (F-4J, F-4S), Fighter Squadrons: VF-171, VF-31, VF-103.
Best Answer