Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge Firmware Release - 16.34.6.1

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 8/23/18:

Hey, everyone! Just wanted to thank you all for your participation in this thread. 

Since the majority of Surge users have successfully updated to this firmware: 16.34.6.1I have decided to close this topic from further comments. 

If you still have not updated your firmware to 16.34.6.1, check out this help article for how to update your device. 

If you're experiencing any issues with your Surge, unrelated to the firmware-up process, I invite you to start a new topic on the Community or find a related topic. 

Thanks for all your feedback and contributions on this thread. Smiley Happy

Fitbit Update: 11/2/2017

Hey, Surge users! 

I wanted to let you all know this firmware release to version: 16.34.6.1 is now out to 100% of users. Please update your trackers! Take a look at our update instructions and make sure to charge the tracker to a full battery before you begin using it again. 

Fitbit Update: 10/26/2017

This firmware has now been released to 50% of all Surge users. Please update your trackers if you see the update available to you!

Fitbit Update: 10/17/2017

We've begun to roll out new firmware for Surge! This is a progressive rollout, and all Surge users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. This firmware update includes:

Click here to see our firmware release help article for more details on version 16.34.6.

Instructions for updating your tracker can be found here.

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
145 REPLIES 145

My Surge won’t update, tho it says Update Tracker. It’s fully charged. The tracker won’t sync with the app, and consequently, my activity won’t sync with my weight watchers app.

@AlessFitbit wrote:

Fitbit Update: 11/2/2017

Hey, Surge users! 

I wanted to let you all know this firmware release to version: 16.34.6.1 is now out to 100% of users. Please update your trackers! Take a look at our update instructions and make sure to charge the tracker to a full battery before you begin using it again. 

Fitbit Update: 10/26/2017

This firmware has now been released to 50% of all Surge users. Please update your trackers if you see the update available to you!

Fitbit Update: 10/17/2017

We've begun to roll out new firmware for Surge! This is a progressive rollout, and all Surge users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. This firmware update includes:

Click here to see our firmware release help article for more details on version 16.34.6.

Instructions for updating your tracker can be found here.

Best Answer

Exact the same for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Appalling. I bought myself a fitbit surge and my wife the fitbit charge2 only 6 weeks ago to find out that she has more features. Most importantly the sleep stages. 

Can you please let the community know if this will be implemented on the surge or not. Don't waste my time and send me off to another forum to "suggest an idea" give me straight yes / no answer.

Best Answer

@NZLaffeh wrote:

Appalling. I bought myself a fitbit surge and my wife the fitbit charge2 only 6 weeks ago to find out that she has more features. Most importantly the sleep stages. 

Can you please let the community know if this will be implemented on the surge or not. Don't waste my time and send me off to another forum to "suggest an idea" give me straight yes / no answer.

Lol, naw, dude. You and I have found ourselves in the same boat.

They aren't going to be rolling any other features out for the Surge. They've been telling people to get the Ionic if they want the new features. But what's to say they don't just stop offering support for the Ionic in the future?

Ask any service rep though, and they'll say, "Oh, but we are still offering support for the Surge! You can ask me anything, and I'm here to help!" Customer Service and Question Answering isn't the same as Product Support and Feature Enhancements.

My advice? Look into the Garmin VivoActive HR or VivoActive 3.

Best Answer
No. The Surge has kind been discontinued
Best Answer

This is truly disappointing, especially because it is still being sold in stores.

What a true gimmick. Will be instore to get a refund and changing to another brand.

Best Answer

@Delboy21 wrote:

Fitbit fast becoming the most hated fitness watch on the market. Looking forward to you going out of business.

Everyone new here in these forums please do keep in mind:

the current studies by Gartner & Co (as recent as quarterly numbers ending with of Nov 30th) indicate that Fitbit is very much on top of their game and very likely to succeed after all.

Previous products like the Surge that have been discontinued may have had a few hiccups (but not as bad as the Force that most thankfully forgot), but if they succeed in streamlining the firmware release management of the Fitbit Ionic and follow-up products they will stay one of the top three firms of fitness wearables market.

Being a Surge owner (pretty much since it's been released) I empathise with your frustration, especially given how some sellers have marketed this discontinued product... but I do not see it as Fitbit's fault.

Please keep in mind that buying a product that's been on the market for over two (!) years, considering how fast newer products were developed, you may have only yourself to blame (=lack of research etc.)

Best Answer

I love my surges, I was given one that a friend couldn't get working right, and I just picked up 2 new ones on clearance for $69.99 each. I got the freebie working great by syncing it with my windows 10 pc instead of the Android mobile app (which kinda sucks), and expect to be using surges for a long time to come lol.

So I definitely hope they stay in business for awhile 😉

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Please keep in mind that buying a product that's been on the market for over two (!) years, considering how fast newer products were developed, you may have only yourself to blame (=lack of research etc.)

Did you even read the thread before you chastised people as stupid idiots? Consumer Reports has recently voted the Surge among the Best fitness watches...again. That it published after the discontinue was announced is an unfortunate aspect of the CR model. Although, technically, it was probably concurrent with the announcement. 

Yes, the Ionic is big and sexy. but that big color screen eats battery. I already have to charge my phone every day, I shouldn't also have to charge my fitness tracker that often. It cannot track my sleep (or, in my case - my wakefulness) if it's not on my arm.

As for myself, I managed to get my tracker working again without the firmware update.I'm sure it has some important things in it, but there does not seem to be any way to install it without accepting the new dashboard. When it does get to place where it no longer functions again, I will patch the whole thing, then roll the dashboard back to 7.3 and see if the firmware holds (future fingers crossed)

Best Answer
I bought the Surge after doing research and found that Consumer Reports
rated it number one.  I am a little disappointed to find that it was
already discontinued after I bought it particularly since I bought it
directly from Fitbit, but all things considered it seems to be working
well after a few initial "bugs" and I have had it since the end of
July.  I loved the Fitbit One and bought them for all my family but
really wanted something I could wear on my wrist to be able to see it
anytime.  If I had known it was discontinued I would have bought a
different one, however.
Best Answer

Hi,

I don't view any recent update. Any change since long time.

I have my surge since 6 months. I ask you if i can replace my surge by other fitbit ionic or other????

When we compare surge to other, it seems surge very old and depaced

Thanks for your advise

Best Answer

Hi guys! Thank you for posting your inquiries and for trying different troubleshooting steps. Cat Happy

If you're having issues updating your Fitbit tracker, please remember to check for the latest update in your mobile device. If you're not getting the option to update your tracker anymore or it is not syncing please follow the suggestion posted in this post. You can find also a lot of helpful information on this article: How do I update my Fitbit device?

Keep me posted I'll be around! Smiley Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yojana- 

I'm having trouble getting my Fitbit Surge to update so that it will show in-depth sleep analysis, and I can't seem to find the Guided Breathing exercises.

Best Answer
No you can't do that. The Surge is too old and fitbit made those features
exclusive for newer devices
Best Answer

Hi @SunsetRunner and @nathanlee, thanks for responding! 

As @nathanlee mentioned Fitbit Surge does not have neither sleep stages or guided breathing, you can read more about Sleep Stages here. But you can still try the steps above to update it and if you encounter any error or message you can let me know, I'll be happy to help!

Have a good one! Smiley Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Hi 

No My phone mobile is update. I don't find any update for my surge. Anything for sleep stage, anything for breathing 

I tryed your instruction and i don't find any news

Thanks for your response 

Best Answer

When your body is completely at rest and unmoving, your Fitbit device records that you are asleep. If you use a Fitbit device with heart-rate tracking (except Fitbit Charge HR and Fitbit Surge) to track your sleep, you'll see a record of the sleep stages you cycle through at night. For more information about each stage of sleep, see What should I know about sleep stages? 

Best Answer

Thanks a lot @Ghass, this will clear any doubt about this specific feature to our users. Smiley Happy

Any other question or additional information about Fitbit Surge and the last Firmware Update 16.34.6.1 can be left here so we can keep adding more information.

See you around! 

Best Answer

I just received a Surge as a present and it won't update or allow me to sync.  The device is totally non-functioning.  What's going on?

Best Answer

@Trina4049 wrote:

I just received a Surge as a present and it won't update or allow me to sync.  The device is totally non-functioning.  What's going on?

I'm sorry to say that you got an obsolete, discontinued Fitbit that they "support" from a software standpoint, but aren't offering any updates for. Basically, they cut off the Surge and aren't even acknowledging that they are leaving the owners drifting in the breeze. Wish I could be of more help, but there are a lot of us who aren't exactly happy, and Fitbit is just telling everyone to buy a new Ionic.

Moderator edit: Word Choice

Best Answer