Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge Firmware Release - 16.34.6.1

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 8/23/18:

Hey, everyone! Just wanted to thank you all for your participation in this thread. 

Since the majority of Surge users have successfully updated to this firmware: 16.34.6.1I have decided to close this topic from further comments. 

If you still have not updated your firmware to 16.34.6.1, check out this help article for how to update your device. 

If you're experiencing any issues with your Surge, unrelated to the firmware-up process, I invite you to start a new topic on the Community or find a related topic. 

Thanks for all your feedback and contributions on this thread. Smiley Happy

Fitbit Update: 11/2/2017

Hey, Surge users! 

I wanted to let you all know this firmware release to version: 16.34.6.1 is now out to 100% of users. Please update your trackers! Take a look at our update instructions and make sure to charge the tracker to a full battery before you begin using it again. 

Fitbit Update: 10/26/2017

This firmware has now been released to 50% of all Surge users. Please update your trackers if you see the update available to you!

Fitbit Update: 10/17/2017

We've begun to roll out new firmware for Surge! This is a progressive rollout, and all Surge users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. This firmware update includes:

Click here to see our firmware release help article for more details on version 16.34.6.

Instructions for updating your tracker can be found here.

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
145 REPLIES 145

Is there - or is there not going to be sleep stages for the surge ?

Yes or no.

Best Answer
>From what I've been told by mods, the Surge is now discontinued, and will
no longer be receiving function updates. If you want *any* new features or
further updates, purchase a new Fitbit device.
Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Yeah I've read around that it is discontinued which is a pain in the **ahem** considering its still being sold next to the new generations fitbits with no indication that it is "discontinued".

I've yet to see a straight "Yes or No" that it will get sleep stages.

Best Answer

@NZLaffeh wrote:

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Yeah I've read around that it is discontinued which is a pain in the **ahem** considering its still being sold next to the new generations fitbits with no indication that it is "discontinued".

I've yet to see a straight "Yes or No" that it will get sleep stages.

The Surge hasn't had a function update in over years. The only update was the recent security one, which actually takes away features (for the sake of fixing some possible security issue).

Best Answer

if you get an answer, please post
I too have an useless Surge

--
Terry C

Moderator edit: Removed personal information

Best Answer

Same here,  bought mine Sept 2017, and know starting with problems. 😦

Best Answer
wrong. Another lie from Fitbit custormer service.
Best Answer

I too have a useless Surge. All you will be told is don't post negative stuff on here. So much for free speech. Just accept and buy another Fitbit.

Best Answer
This isn’t about ‘free’ speech. I paid $250, therefore I will continue until I get resolution. Sorry if this offends you or Fitbit, but I am offended at the arrogance of the company to not stand behind their products and their failure to provide a product that performs as advertised. No more Fitbit for me! Fool me once, shame on Fitbit. Fool me twice...ain’t gonna happen!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hi everybody! thanks for your thoughts and comments!

If you're still having issues connecting your tracker as @Trina4049, please check this post or you can follow the steps in this article. For issues regarding the latest update you can follow the suggestions in this thread.

In regards to Fitbit Surge, although it has been a very popular product for us, we will soon stop selling Fitbit Surge. If you're looking for a new device, we recommend considering Ionic. Ionic is a motivating timepiece packed with fitness guidance, health insights, music storage, apps, and more. You can learn more about https://www.fitbit.com/ionic

Please note that we’ll continue to support Surge from a software standpoint, along with any questions you might have during your use of the product. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope we can continue to provide you with Fitbit devices you love and help you reach your goals.

@NZLaffeh About your question, Fitbit Surge doesn't have this feature as an option; it shows your sleep pattern which shows your time spent awake, restless, and asleep.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback with us.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

My Surge works fine. I had to go back to it because my Blaze was a piece
of it I had to sell on eBay. It never would communicate with my S8 to
send notifications regardless of trying ALL the numerous, so called,
solutions. My fear with any updates for my Surge is that when I updated my
Blaze it was even worse and shortened battery life by more than
half. If the Surge didn't need bi-annual band changes I would have never
bought the Blaze in the first place and wish I hadn't. Thank God the cheap
Chinese Surge bands last as long as original and are readily available.
Otherwise the Surge would have been thrown away a year ago.

Moderator edit: Word Choice

Best Answer

Well, it doesn’t update and now it doesn’t sync.  It was working just fine before.

@AlessFitbit wrote:

Fitbit Update: 11/2/2017

Hey, Surge users! 

I wanted to let you all know this firmware release to version: 16.34.6.1 is now out to 100% of users. Please update your trackers! Take a look at our update instructions and make sure to charge the tracker to a full battery before you begin using it again. 

Fitbit Update: 10/26/2017

This firmware has now been released to 50% of all Surge users. Please update your trackers if you see the update available to you!

Fitbit Update: 10/17/2017

We've begun to roll out new firmware for Surge! This is a progressive rollout, and all Surge users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. This firmware update includes:

Click here to see our firmware release help article for more details on version 16.34.6.

Instructions for updating your tracker can be found here.

Best Answer

Yojana:  I've followed all the suggestions in your post and have contacted customer support twice.  They are no help at all except to tell me the engineers are aware of the problem.  When I ask for further information they hang up.  This leaves me with a brand new, out of the box Surge that will not sync or update.  It won't work -- at all.  Very disappointed.  I understand that the product is no longer sold but it should update, sync and work.  I guess I'll just let the person who gave me this useless gift know that it doesn't function and ask them to return it since I do not have the receipt.

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer

For anyone having problems with their Surge not talking to their phone, my recommendation is to turn off notifications (in the app). This may well help it to sync. Just give up trying to get notifications, that feature is broken on the Surge, it's never worked, and it seems to break the sync of tracker data back to the app. I've had my Surge for two and a half years, it has never ever picked up and displayed notifications correctly, despite me trying about six different phones to link to it (all Android, Apple might be better).

I even joined the Fibit Beta testers group, and provided feedback and logs, as requested by the developers. New versions of the app were released over and over, but no improvements were ever made to comms with the Surge. I suspect the problem is rubbish software on the Surge itself, but that has never been addressed.

It's an unfortunate attitude that Fitbit are taking towards not improving the Surge with firmware updates. It could be a much better product than it is, even just minor tweaks and changes could make for a much nicer user experience. But no, FitBit got your money, they don't really care any further than that. Happens so often with technology manufacturers these days, they just don't want to expend the effort of improving current products. They must be losing customers hand over fist, because it's a very off putting way to be treated.

Best Answer

I have notifications turned off. Still does not work. All I get is the set up screen.

Best Answer

Nice to see that you're digging into the Forums guys, thanks for keep posting your feedback about the steps you've tried and the interaction with our team. Robot Happy

If you're still having issues updating your tracker, before checking each case please restart your Surge and give it a try using the Fitbit Connect program via Wireless Dongle. They will be connected in a different way, so you just need to keep plugged in your Wireless Dongle and use the option "Check for device update", Some others users have found this very helpful. Some other have disconnected the Surge first so then you can add it back as a new device.

Keep me posted.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

I've restarted my Surge several times using the dongle but nothing works. I only have the setup screen on the device. Twice it gave me the 4 digit number to sync but then errors out. To repeat, it won't let me update or sync. It's totally non-functioning. The replacement that was sent is also non-functional. Same problem; won't sync or update.

I've deleted the Fitbit Connect; restarted my laptop; re-downloaded Fitbit Connect. Nothing works. The Surge is non-functioning under any and all circumstances.

Best Answer
Good luck with your dongle!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Почему не добавили кириллицу??? Добавьте русский язык! 

Why did not they add the Cyrillic alphabet ??? Add Russian language!

Best Answer

Nice to see you around @Trina4049@Tawad and @gorserg.

Thanks a million for the update @Trina4049 and thanks for trying all those steps. I'd suggest to wait for customer support so they can give you more details and options regarding your case.

Hi @gorserg, at this moment there aren't currently plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released here in our FAQs. For now, we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything change.

Have a good one!

Best Answer