Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge Heart cardio fitness score

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey any plans to update the Surge to have the cardio fitness score like the lower priced fitbits?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It's great to see that you've visited the Fitbit Community @Macabass96!

Thanks for adding your comments, at this moment there is no plan to implement this feature for Fitbit Surge. Although it has been a very popular product for us, we will soon stop selling Fitbit Surge. 

If you're looking for a new device, we recommend considering Ionic or Versa. Ionic is a motivating timepiece packed with fitness guidance, health insights, music storage, apps, and more. You can learn more about Ionic here.

You can learn more about the rest of the Fitbit family of products in our official site. Please note that we’ll continue to support Surge from a software standpoint, along with any questions you might have during your use of the product. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope we can continue to provide you with Fitbit devices you love and help you reach your goals.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

Hi @TKLBCPlease receive a warm welcome to the Fitbit Family! It's great to see you participating in our Community!Cat Happy

I appreciate your thoughts in regards Surge features. You can place you vote in our feature suggestion board, for example: Surge needs cardio fitness score 

Or you can suggest your idea too, our developers can check what our Fitbitters need and take this in consideration for the next updates.

Have a great day! Woman Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Zero chance of Surge being up-dated to include the cardio fitness score.

The Surge is an 4-year old out-dated device. There are a number of design issues that many have questioned/complained about. The board is quite active and you'll see what those common issues are.

Either downgrade (which is what I did) or wait for the new smart watch and up-grade to get the cardio fitness score.

Best Answer

@steveting99 wrote:

Either downgrade (which is what I did) or wait for the new smart watch and up-grade to get the cardio fitness score.

Any word on the street when the new Smart Watch will be released?  My Surge is currently being held together with the proverbial "beer cans, bailing wire, and duct tape", and downgrading is not something I'm willing to do as I never carry a phone with me when I run.

Best Answer

Thanks for your comments @steveting99 and @shipo! It's always a pleasure to have your good and challenging reviews! Please know that out team is continuously checking your comments to have better options in the future! If you have more questions about it let me know!

Have a good one! Woman Happy

Best Answer

Definitely needs cardio score was shocked it didnt have it

Best Answer

It's great to see that you've visited the Fitbit Community @Macabass96!

Thanks for adding your comments, at this moment there is no plan to implement this feature for Fitbit Surge. Although it has been a very popular product for us, we will soon stop selling Fitbit Surge. 

If you're looking for a new device, we recommend considering Ionic or Versa. Ionic is a motivating timepiece packed with fitness guidance, health insights, music storage, apps, and more. You can learn more about Ionic here.

You can learn more about the rest of the Fitbit family of products in our official site. Please note that we’ll continue to support Surge from a software standpoint, along with any questions you might have during your use of the product. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope we can continue to provide you with Fitbit devices you love and help you reach your goals.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Answer

As the cardio fitness score is functional in other much cheaper fitbit devices and is a software only solution, it's reasonable to assume that it would not be difficult to add to the Surge, which after all has been Fitbits premium piece of hardware until recently.  I imagine that the only reason there is to not add this feature to Surge, would be Fitbits way of forcing their top paying customers to shell out for the latest and most expensive hardware yet again.  If you look at the feature list of Ionic on the Fitbit investors webpage, you'll come to realise that some of the features mentioned are still waiting on software support in order to be functional.  Such as the VO2 sensor.

Hardware is nothing without software support both at hardware purchase time and throughout that hardwares lifetime.  So if you are going to consider purchasing premium hardware that doesn't already have fully functional and bug-free software that interfaces not only to other devices now but ones that are yet to be released, you are going to have to trust the company to provide that support.  Given that us Surge owners are being shunned now, affects how I feel about upgrading to an Ionic.

It's not going to happen.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your feedback @Glenmcd! It's really helpful for us. Your voice is being heard. We're actively reviewing your responses and providing feedback to our product development team. I understand your grievances about this situation. Nevertheless, I will definitely pass all this feedback along to our engineering team.

Thanks again for your understanding!

Best Answer
I already moved on to a Garmin.
Best Answer

Thanks for your feedback. We're sorry to let you go but we understand your decision. We'll pass this information to our team. 

I'll be around if you need anything else.

Best Answer

Today I borrowed a friends Fitbit Charge 2, and set it up as a second device on my fitbit account.  It used the data already gathered by my Surge and gave me my cardio fitness score in seconds.  I returned the Charge 2 to my friend without even having to put it on my wrist, let alone using it for a workout.  I am now able to continue to access my cardio fitness score using data gathered on the Surge.  I think this would confirm that the reason for Fitbit making this feature unavailable for Surge users has nothing to do with technical issues, or that the Charge 2 hardware has something that Surge doesn't.

I once had a job interview at Garmin in Auckland New Zealand, and they seemed like really genuine people.  I may check out their products, but first I'll wait a month to see if Fitbit can do the right thing by us Surge owners.

Best Answer

Nice to see you again here @Glenmcd.

Thanks for adding your comment in regards to the latest information that you can see on your Fitbit Dashboard. Since Fitbit Charge 2 has this feature your Dashboard will be showing that information as an estimated until you keep using a Charge 2, in that way you will see more details about Cardio Fitness Score. Sorry you feel that way about Fitbit Surge, but at this moment we don't have more details about this request. We'll let you know if this changes.

We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback. Let me know if you have more questions about it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wear a Surge, but the Charge 2 that I registered on my profile is not mine and it sits on a shelf somewhere going flat.  Meanwhile, my cardio fitness score not only shows on my dashboard, it's regularly re-calculated due to info gathered on my Surge.  It's improved twice during a period of a bit over a week (expected).

Independent of what Fitibits' intentions where, what actually happens does allow Surge owners to use the full features of Cardio fitness score without owning anything else.  It does require borrowing something like a Charge 2 for a few minutes, just to register it on the Surge owners fitbit account.  The Charge 2 can then be given back to its owner.  I'm not worried about Fitbit changing the software to deny users this loophole, however as nothing else ever gets updated neither is this likely to.

Best Answer

Hi @Glenmcd, thanks for sharing your comments.

This type of information is very useful for us. As mentioned before this feature is not intended to work for these model since Fitbit Surge came before we release it. All this information is here: What is my cardio fitness score? Thanks a million for taking the time to share this details with us. 

Let me know if you have questions about it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am disappointed to hear that. I got the priciest item you sold when I purchased my Surge, with the intention of avoiding a product that would become obsolete in a few years time. Since there is nothing I despise more than the unnecessary waste due to marketing decisions, that does not weigh in your favor when I will decide which product will replace my current one. 

If the goal of Fitbit is to inspire active habits, make the update (not that difficult with your resources), allow Surge users to experience your new features, then you will inspire loyalty and be sure that they will get your next best thing when their current one breaks.

Fitbit has my thumbs up on durability, but I'm unsure of any decision which reduces the lifespan or it in a competitive market.

Best Answer