Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge band cracking by screws

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I purchased my Surge in Feb 2015 and this last week I have noticed that the band is cracked underneath where the screws are - and is now digging into my wrist when I wear it.  I'm not a particularly 'rough' wearer of the Surge so am very disappointed about this damage and the fact that it may not be covered under the warranty (it's only 13/14 months old!).  What can Fitbit do about this for me? (am UK based)

Have read lots of other threads on this very same topic so I am not alone.

Very disgruntled!!!

Best Answer
170 REPLIES 170
The questions I have is why does Fitbit continue to sell a product with a
known design flaw??
Thanks,

CP
Best Answer

I agree.  I've had my Surge for a little over a year.  The band irritates the skin (which is mitigated by cleaning as they suggest), pinches when worn tight enough to stay in place for the heart rate monitor to work, and is now cracking/spliting.  I would not recommend the Surge to *anyone* based on the band alone (the device it self is good).

The Surge band needs a serious redesign, and Fitbit should give at least a 50% credit, to everyone who purchased this expensive, defective device, to replace it with a redesigned Surge.

Best Answer
0 Votes

They will replace it if is still under warranty, at least that is my experience as of last week.

Best Answer
0 Votes

FitBit is very good with their warranty claims and quick to resolve a warranty issue. Unfortunately replacing the Surge as a remedy for broken bands is just kicking the problem down the road. Eventually the Surge will be out of warranty and the band problem will still be there. A Surge that can't be worn is useless. I can live with paying for a new band as a ongoing maintenance cost but buying a new Surge every year or two is insane.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem.  My Surge is 15 months old and my band is cracked almost completely through.  I'm afraid I won't be able to wear it soon. Is there any way to replace a Surge band?  My husband pay way too much for me not to be able to use it.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately replacement bands are not available. Additionally, since your device is out of warranty its unlikely Fitbit will offer a replacement. From my experience i suspect they will offer a discount on purchasing a new device. One thing you might want to try is to crazy glue the band to the watch. From the point of noticing the separation until the band fell off was less than a week in my case. Once the band came off i could see there is a significant amount of overlap between the watch and the band. I simply applied a thin coat of crazy glue on the watch and held the band on for a few minutes. That was weeks ago and the band is still holding with no sign of separation.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I went through 3 Surges during my warranty period.

I wore my Surge until the cracking actually resulted in a broken band.

I am currently still wearing my second one, and I have my 3rd ready to go after this band finally breaks.

I was close to the end of my warranty period and got my final replacement for after this one breaks.

When my 3rd and final Surge finally bites the dust, I will switch to a different model, or I hope that they have redesigned the Surge band at that point.... we shall see.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@butiki2iI paid €219 for mine. The Flagship fitbit product. I refuse to use crazy glue. It is a design flaw. The Model should be redesigned and all existing devices recalled for a replacement. They are replacing them all continually anyhow. Save face. Say sorry and regain some market. They have good customer support but on a very flawed product. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, they won't if you bought it in the U.S.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is really disappointing,  it's a very expensive fitbit. I  will try the Super glue if I have to. My next purchase might bit a different brand because I'm not paying over $200 for it to happen again 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@scoobs54_7well they offer 30% off another style so if it is 100$ you get 30 off to compensate you for the $200 you lost. Cos they respect you as a customer. 🙂

@scoobs54_7 wrote:

That is really disappointing,

Best Answer

You can buy replacement straps for the Surge from AliExpress, they even provide the Torx screwdriver needed to do it.

There are lots of videos on YouTube showing how simple it is to do.

For around $20 USD it's a no-brainer if your surge is working properly but the strap is broken.  I can buy a whole lot of these for the price of a new FitBit, even with FitBit's paltry 25% discount.

Wake up and smell the coffee FitBit and start selling the straps yourself.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Interesting. I will try it. Have Garmin now and really like it but hey for
20 bucks, why not.
Thanks,
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone -- Sorry to hear about your broken Surge band. I can assure you all that we’re always working to improve the longevity, durability of our products, and regularly capture and test trackers that exhibit unexpected or undesired characteristics. At this time I suggest contacting our Support Team who will do their best to provide you with options to help get you back to tracking your activities. 

If you have questions about our limited warranty, I recommend checking out our warranty page for more detail. Keep me posted!

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
The Surge is a great tracker but its band obviously has a design flaw. For
whatever reason Fitbit seems unwilling to admit this. It is obvious to
anyone that has had one, (I have had 3) of the design flaw. Fibit only
response is to offer a 25% discount on a new tracker. The amazing thing is
that you keep selling the current Surge model with the same design flaw.
The honorable things would be to issue a recall and make everyone whole
that has purchased this device. Your post brings no new news to the the
table just the same tired old excuses. I am disappointed in Fitbit and will
not buy any of your products until this is rectified
Thanks,

CP
Best Answer
0 Votes
@ErickFitbit that's a seriously weird way of stating it.
The surge band and other models all have issues with them. It is now hardly unexpected and as it happens so often it is characteristic. 😞
I was with a friend buying a fitness watch in a major mýain street shop and they mentioned the strap to her. I briefly agreed with the sentiment. She purchased a different brand.

I can assure you all that we’re always working to improve the longevity, durability of our products, and regularly capture and test trackers that exhibit unexpected or undesired characteristics..

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello friends, @Jubal@tobingjMan Very Happy Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feedback with us. We do take in consideration your feedback to improve our services and products. 

Solange | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your words are empty.  Until FitBit offers to replace the Surge for free, regardless of the warrantee status, I will not buy another one.  The Surge band is obviously poorly designed and defective.  We expect more for $250.

Best Answer

Looking at the posts I am beginning to feel they are forum bots.

If not. When my warranty runs out in 11 months there will be a warm resolution waiting for me. ???

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had my surge for over a year but my wrist band is cracked where the screws attach to the watch. I thought I could order a new band on the site but not available. any suggestions

Best Answer
0 Votes