Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge band cracking by screws

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I purchased my Surge in Feb 2015 and this last week I have noticed that the band is cracked underneath where the screws are - and is now digging into my wrist when I wear it.  I'm not a particularly 'rough' wearer of the Surge so am very disappointed about this damage and the fact that it may not be covered under the warranty (it's only 13/14 months old!).  What can Fitbit do about this for me? (am UK based)

Have read lots of other threads on this very same topic so I am not alone.

Very disgruntled!!!

Best Answer
170 REPLIES 170

@bluelobster The unfortunate answer, from my point of view, is to not buy another FitBit again.  I have (had) two - one for my wife and one for me that are now useless after the warranty expired.  This is the experience of many others here.

Best Answer
Angela

Wishing you a most excellent day.

Sent from my IPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I can't believe they are still selling the Surge with these know design
defects
Thanks,
Best Answer
Superglue is holding for me for a couple months now. You can buy a band online (not from FitBit) but it seems a delicate operation to not damage the GPS unit that is housed in the band near the screws. I opted to try glue first to see how that held - so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone, so pardon spelling mistakes.
Best Answer
Best Answer

As a few other have indicated in this thread, i used crazy glue to resolve this issue. Also f you search through this thread  i remember someone posting the name of a 3rd party company where you can buy a replacement band.

Best Answer

You can also use staples like bill Murray in scrooged.

I suggested duct tape.

The point on this thread is that after 12 months for most of the world fitbit do not care that you bought their flagship model and it has fallen apart. They will not refund or support it any longer. YET THEY STILL SELL IT.

Shocking.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine happened exactly the same, Fitbit were amazing at replacing mine. well I say amazing, yes they were understanding as mine was only 7 months old. you do have a 2 year warranty, but also it does take around 3 weeks for them to replace as you have to send the surge to Netherlands. Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Scottcoles88did they send you a bagged reconditioned unit or a brand new boxed unit.?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I believe it was a new watch that they sent. It came by itself, no charger, or papers.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I bought one of the Chinese replacement bands and they do work. It is
somewhat delicate re-positioning the antenna but it is working. My guess is
the same cracked band will appear over time. In the mean time I purchased a
Garmin Vioactive HR and am very happy with it.
Best Answer

It appears to be a known defect with the Surge. My watch band also did the same thing with the band cracking where the screws attach to the watch. Fitbit offered a 25% discount towards a new purchase of a watch. It is just disappointing that they continue to sell a watch with a defect. I am going back to Garmin for my fitness watch.

Best Answer
They sent me a whole brand new one boxed
Best Answer
0 Votes

I think that's great. I was told mine is out of warranty which I totally understand. However, it's a known defect and they continue to sell it. It's defective and they should stand behind their product and replace it.Obviously it's a huge problem according to all the reviews I have read on different web sites. Do enjoy your new Surge. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought the surch Fitbit 22/03/2016 in Barcelona Spain. I was there as tourist. Do you have a world grantee? 

Do the watch have an ID you can identify? As I do not have the invoice copy anymore. 

How do I activate the grantee? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Amosloe, your best bet is to get in touch with Fitbit Customer Support on contact.fitbit.com, whichever country you are now in.  Fitbits sold within the European Economic Area come with a two year guarantee, however I do not know how that works if you are no longer in an EEA country.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.  Welcome to the forums.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
Hi.

So, if you go on the menu > settings > regulatory info.

It will give you all the information and the serial number there.

Email fitbit and they will ask for the serial number. It did take around 2
weeks for a replacement thou.

Good luck.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes mine too cracking and separated. First the battery now this terrible design by Fitbit. I'm not shelling out any more money for fitbit. I think I switch to a Apple Watch since I already have IPhone 

Best Answer
Thank you
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm disappointed that Fitbit told you that. I have had my Surge since 2015 and when the first band broke Fitbit wouldn't replace it but the store I purchased the unit at just gave me a new one. Now the new band is cracked again at the screws. I just wish Fitbit would make the band easily changeable. Engineering design flaw or ways to make you spend more money? Don't know but it's frustrating.

Best Answer