Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge band cracking by screws

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I purchased my Surge in Feb 2015 and this last week I have noticed that the band is cracked underneath where the screws are - and is now digging into my wrist when I wear it.  I'm not a particularly 'rough' wearer of the Surge so am very disappointed about this damage and the fact that it may not be covered under the warranty (it's only 13/14 months old!).  What can Fitbit do about this for me? (am UK based)

Have read lots of other threads on this very same topic so I am not alone.

Very disgruntled!!!

Best Answer
170 REPLIES 170

@Snomobiler36 If you want to keep using your Surge until it "really dies." Amazon has aftermarket replacement bands and YouTube has "how to" videos. I would watch the video first to see if it's something you or a friend are willing to undertake. Just a thought.

Fixed wing aircraft (F-4J, F-4S), Fighter Squadrons: VF-171, VF-31, VF-103.
Best Answer

I did it and it looks great! Now I just need to get the battery to hold a charge longer!!

Best Answer

On my third watch

Left replacement took 1 week to get update installed. Why didn't it come ready to use?

Middle strap bubbling at front after 4 months. Bottom right button not working.

Right strap cracked inside at screws after 10 months.

I look after these very well. Gentle wear. Loose strap. Gentle mild product to clean once a week.

Very poor product.2017-09-03 11.24.01.jpg

Best Answer

@tobingj If the bands are the only problem, and you'r still interested in using them, Amazon has aftermarket replacement bands and YouTube has "how to" videos. I would watch the video first to see if it's something you or a friend are willing to undertake. Just a thought. Good Luck.

Best Answer

Already handled...took about 10 minutes to change.New colored band and cover!!! Love it!!New colored band and cover!!! Love it!!

Best Answer
10 minutes I find that to be impossible to do plus the new band doesn't fit
like the original one either
--
Michael F. Crane
Best Answer
I feel for you but I refuse to support them when we get inferior product. I
am switching to a Apple Watch that will sync nicely with my phone
--
Michael F. Crane
Best Answer

Your opinion. But I am the one that replaced it in 10 minutes, the band fit perfectly and it works for me. So thank you to all who made your suggestions.

Best Answer

@VF31AE3no it is the lack of a decent product for €230 spent that is my issue.

The ionic is probably surge rev2. Would be interested in a like for like replacement. As it is now their flagship model and the surge is removed from their shop.

Best Answer

@tobingj I'm with you all the way. It's just that some people are ok with replacing the band and didn't know it could be done. You get no argument from me.

Peace

AJC

Best Answer

I too replaced my band with an after market.  It took longer to clean off the old glue than it did to put on the new band.   Rather than glue I used carpet tape to put the new band on. The carpet tape seems to do better at holding than glue and I think it keeps the strain of the screws.  I also put one of the protective covers and a screen protector.  At any rate it has been several months and there does not seem to be any cracking around the screws.  The carpet tape I used is Roberts Max Grip for installing vinyl flooring.  

For those of you who are using super glue around the screws I suggest that you switch to DAP Rapid Fuse.  Super glue usually isn't water proof where as the DAP product is.  It takes about 30 seconds for it to cure unless you get it on your skin then it bonds instantly.   So keep it off your fingers.

Best Answer
It's not my opinion but fact I wish it wasn't so. The screws are too small
and band doesn't fit tight on tracker face. It was good it works for you
though.
--
Michael F. Crane
Best Answer

I'm on my 3rd Surge which have all failed where the screws attached the wristband. All have been replaced under warranty but no.3 is already showing signs of wear. How about Fitbit change the design or material. If that can't happen, replace with a newer model and discontinue the Surge. Listen to the feedback please:)

Best Answer

@Campervanstu You now have options. If the bands are the only problem, and you'r still interested in using them, Amazon has aftermarket replacement bands and YouTube has "how to" videos. I would watch the video first to see if it's something you or a friend are willing to undertake. Or. The Surge has been discontinued and is being replaced by the Ionic. Just a thought. Good Luck.

Best Answer

Discontinued?? Were they going to say anything?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TeaAddictedGeek I never got any notification. I went to the Product Help Forum page and noticed the Surge was relegated to the second tier and the Ionic took its place as first in line on the top tier. You would also find that it is no longer offered for sale on FitBits website outside of the US and is only available in the small size in the US. I may have jumped the gun but its availability is waaaaay down.

Best Answer

Product listScreenshot_2017-09-05-20-31-14.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Still sold in the store, price reduced to $200:

https://www.fitbit.com/store

Best Answer
0 Votes
I can't believe they are still selling the Surge! Even with he new one out.
They have to know they have a design defect with the Surge band. Corporate
arrogance. I cannot in good faith buy any more of their products. I will
stick with the Garmin and maybe check out the new Iwatch 3 when it comes
out.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@TeaAddictedGeek wrote:

Still sold in the store, price reduced to $200:

https://www.fitbit.com/store

In all likelihood Surge production has ceased but they still have inventory so it makes sense to try to sell it. Whether anyone will buy it is a different story, especially at $200.

Best Answer